Thread 99428: Gunbarrel Hwy @ New Years

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 11:32
ThreadID: 101137 Views:1548 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Having just looked at the weather readings for Giles (http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/201301/html/IDCJDW6049.201301.shtml) in December & January just past and noted that the max temp every day but one for the last week of December was over 39 degrees and well over 40 for the first 17 days of Jan, I'd be interested to know whether the planned journey through the Centre went ahead, if so whether they enjoyed it (including wife and kids) and whether they'd recommend anyone else do it at that time. Or even whether they'd do it again themselves.

We were on the coast at Thomas River and had one very hot day on Jan 1 which was bad enough, but the thought of a week of it is serious divorce material I'd have thought!

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 12:23

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 12:23
Whose planned journey Paul? Who are you referring to?
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 507038

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 13:10

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 13:10
This one?

Thread 99428
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 784190

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 13:54

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 13:54
sorry I didn't read it in your thread title, must need glasses.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 784193

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 15:22

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 15:22
Don't worry Michelle, thought that may have happened!

I do that sort of thing all the time!
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 784202

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 16:13

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 16:13
Good question Paul. So often on here people spend a fair bit of time providing advice in response to all sorts of questions - but so often there is no feedback, either in the short or long term. As in this case.

So please posters, if you ask a question do try to come back and tell us how you got on. That way we all may get to learn a bit more.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 507048

Follow Up By: equinox - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 16:53

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 16:53
The thing is Val that this poster was given advice to his question, but he was also given fairly strong personal opinions which were almost forced down his throat.

There is a big difference in being given advice and having others opinions forced upon you.

I'd be surprised if he ever came back.

Alan.

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 784213

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 18:27

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 18:27
That's a fair point Alan, and I do agree that some "advice" is pushed rather hard.

In this case I think some respondents considered that there may have been a fair degree of risk in the proposed trip and said so in forthright terms. Personally I prefer a considered reply that sets out the facts as they are known, and from that I can make up my own mind in the light of my own experience and capabilities.

But I also think that if you ask a question on a public forum that, to a certain (limited) extent, you have to take the "rough" responses with the "smooth" so to speak.

Perhaps if the dogmatic posters could tone it down a bit there might be more feedback. Now that would be good!

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 784218

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 18:37

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 18:37
I have just read through the original thread and don't see much wrong with the responses. The strongest positions were taken by two respondents who were disagreeing with each other. The originator accepted some of the advice and revised his itinerary but it would be nice to know how he got on.
The questioners who most annoy me are those who enquire about road conditions, then travel the road and never report back. But I also note that many members who post regularly in ExplorOz never bother to tell the rest of us what the roads were like over which they travel. And in a country where road condition reports only tell you if the road is closed or open the more information the better.
Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 784219

Reply By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 01:39

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 01:39
Getting back to the question.

I recall taking two of my kids, about 6 and 9 at the time, on a trip to the Pilbara in September/October one year. The daytime temps got really high, around the 40°C mark, and this was just bearable if you stayed in the air cond all the time.

But the reality is that kids, and adults, need to get out of the car from time to time to stretch the legs, look around, explore, climb a hill and enjoy the journey. That is nigh impossible in those high temp, or maybe not impossible, but certainly not enjoyable. i.e divorce material.

Worse comes at night when the temps don't drop to what we are used to for a comfortable sleep. And there is often no breeze, let alone a sea breeze. After one horrid night in the Kennedy Ranges, I promised the kids we'd stay in air cond the rest of the trip. At least that made the nights bearable.

I see you sig says you are from Kalgoorlie, so you'd understand the temperatures you're likely to face. Added to the increased load on vehicle systems that increases chance of breakages, it's a good reason to not travel unless you have to.

Tim
AnswerID: 507089

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 23:54

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 23:54
Wow, 40°C in September in the Pilbara is a bit unlucky Tim. I'd have thought you'd be pretty safe then.

My point in raising the matter again was that I worried about these people right through Christmas when I knew it was so unmitigatingly hot inland and wanted to know how they'd gotten on, or whether they did something else instead.

As someone who lives and has travelled and worked extensively in inland/remote Australia I just hate to see people lulled into a false sense of security that everything will be alright when it's 38 or 40°+ and help is a long way off.

We thankfully live in a world somewhat cossetted from danger these days, but that doesn't mean we should either ignore it or, worse, not want to know about it, which was where the tread seemed to go.

I'll leave others to judge how harsh the advice was, as a participant in the thread.
FollowupID: 784360

Sponsored Links