electrical dramas 99 Hilux 4x2

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 18:50
ThreadID: 101143 Views:2240 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

I am have an interesting battle with my 99 Hilux, recently had a new stereo installed, no dramas, then had to get alternator replaced about a month later, then the problems started.

When you turned the ignition on, the park lights would turn on, even without the switch turned on, then no long after this started happening, when I turned the lights on, the stereo would drop out, it will stay on, but no sound comes out of the speakers. I have had a look at the stereo, and pulled it out and put it back in, and it worked again until the lights where turned on again.

I have a gremlin somewhere, I have checked the relays they seem fine, the fuses seem fine, I am thinking an earth or switch drama. but this has only started since the new alternator was installed.

Any thoughts of what could be wrong.

Cheers
Luke
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - J&R - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 19:08

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 19:08
Yes, many thoughts. And solution.
But take it back to the person who replaced your alternator, as that is when the problems began, so you say, so it's related. They can then check the installation completely.

And you should do it sooner rather than later, as much damage can occur, and to play with it may negate any warranty.
AnswerID: 506999

Reply By: Mark&Sue - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 21:26

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 21:26
G'day Luke maybe the installer of the stereo has used the dash light wire to stereo as the earth wire for new stereo. Maybe remove stereo and then see if everything gets back to normal, if so change the earth wire, Cheers.
AnswerID: 507009

Reply By: Batt's - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 21:34

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 21:34
GQ patrols have a similar problem one of the wires is for dash lights to light up the factory stereo in a GQ patrol. Your hilux might be the same remove the speaker wires use a test light and check for power then turn the parkers on and test for power again if one has power then you have the offending wire tape it up really well and put it aside and find the other speaker wire it catches quite a few patrol owners out and sometimes the feedback of power threw the speaker wire can burn the stereo out because that is the output side and is not protected from incoming power I found out the hard way and burned out a new stereo as soon as I turned the parkers on my GQ good luck
AnswerID: 507011

Reply By: Member - LG__ - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 17:59

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 17:59
My fella says: Could be a wire on the stereo which dims the stereo lights when you put on your cars park/headlights. If it isn't wired up properly this may be causing feedback through the wiring. Don't know how it would be related to the alternator though...shrug

Check your wiring diagrams to see which stereo wire is connected to the vehicle light system and disconnect that. Test to see if the problem still occurs :-)
AnswerID: 507150

Sponsored Links