radio

Hi guy's going to buy a radio for my boat and 4x4. Whats the diff between uhf and vhf. I know they different frequency but is one better than the other. What range (distance) would a hand held model have. This is all new to me.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Murray M2 - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 13:31

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 13:31
Firstly, for your boat you need to know your area of use and if you are near a VHF repeater then you have a far better range than UHF.
UHF is only line of sight, in other words you basically need to be able to see the receiving station. Also UHF is prone to atmospheric conditions affecting it's range.
I have used a VHF handheld marine radio and was able to trigger the repeater some 30 -40 km away.
For your vehicle, unless you have access to a private frequency UHF is the go, however you can't use the Marine frequencies on land based activities.
So you may have to buy two(2) radio's, once again the prices are varied depending on the make and model.
hope this is of some help

AnswerID: 507041

Follow Up By: kaid - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 15:00

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 15:00
thanks murray some radios are dual band are they any good
FollowupID: 784200

Follow Up By: Charlie B2 - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 13:38

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 13:38
Hi all,

I understand you'll need to be licensed to use VHF, but sometimes nothing but VHF will work, depending on where you are going to be boating.

Mind you, on more than a few inland waterways, standard non-marine CB UHF gets used pretty frequently, irrespective of legality!

Regards,

Charlie
FollowupID: 784304

Follow Up By: Member - Murray M2 - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 14:41

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 14:41
True you need a license for VHF, not very hard to do. I live on the south coast and VHF is the only way to go, 27mhz is virtually useless down here, a lot of times only being a Km away is unreadable.
However as Charlie B2 said UHF is used on inland waters so it gets to be a catch22 situation.
It also depends on how far you are preparing to go out to sea etc as to your requirements.

I have not tried the dual band sets so can't comment with any great advise.

regards
Murray
FollowupID: 784308

Sponsored Links