Holland Track in Mid April 2013

Submitted: Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 18:08
ThreadID: 101165 Views:2003 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
If anybody is planning a trip on the Holland Track over Easter we would appreciate any feedback as we are planning a trip straight after.Cheers and you all have a safe Easter.
Wheelz.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: chart - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 22:19

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 22:19
looks like its just you doing this trip, no reply so far. I was hoping to see how the track is also as we are going that way early May. We will just have to do it to find out how it is.
Regard Chard
AnswerID: 507172

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 00:14

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 00:14
There has been really heavy rain (130mm+) in the Goldfields in the past few weeks so I would imagine it would be pretty wet at the moment, but Easter is still a week or two away so it should pretty much dry out if there isn't much more rain.

I drove back to Kalgoorlie from Perth on Sunday and there was a hell of a thunderstorm/rain system that I caught up with just east ofSouthern Cross and finally got in front of just though Coolgardie, which was delivering the heaviest rain I've seen for a long time, that I imagine would certainly have fallen at least on the eastern half of the Holland Track.

I'd watch the BOM site for rainfall observations in Hyden and Kalgoorlie for the next week or two and if there is any rain over about 5 or 6 mm at either place in that time, go somewhere else, because it is likely DEC will close the track. You certainly wont be doing the track any favours if you drive on it when it's really wet.

If you want to come out this way, you may be better on the Norseman Hyden rd where there are some great spots like the Breakaways, McDiarmid Rock, on up to Cave Hill etc.

FollowupID: 784364

Reply By: Dags - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 23:52

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 23:52
Myself and a mate were, and hopefully still are, doing the Holland from Hyden/Norseman rd up over easter.
Last time we did it the track was very dry/dusty and extremely corrugated.
It seems that just because it can be done in 2wd when dry, that most people do just that. lol.
Most of the water dissipates after a week out there with mostly just the clay ruts holding mud for a while.
I'll let you know closer if we're going there, and will give a track report.
Darren
AnswerID: 507511

Follow Up By: Wheelz - Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 10:37

Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 10:37
Cheers Dags,any feedback would be greatly appreciated.Wheelz.
FollowupID: 785133

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 22:16

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 22:16
Another 15 or 20-odd mm rain in Hyden last night and today, 4 or 5 mm of which has so far reached Kalgoorlie, on top of the 100mm a few weeks back so I'd say the track will be real wet this Easter. Might be a good year to do something else so the track is not too badly bashed up.
AnswerID: 507652

Follow Up By: paulfr - Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 23:02

Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 23:02
G'day all,
Have just returned from Hollands Track; did a quick run [640 KTM Adventure] from Norseman, down main Hyden Rd, turned right up Banker Mount Day Rd and left onto Hollands towards Hyden.
Wet, wet, wet with easy 40+ 4x4's on the section between Mount Day Rd and Mt Holland.
What did amaze me was the number of 4x4's purposely hitting the mud puddles at speed; not sure if there's a prize in Kal for dirtiest vehicle?
None-the-less, an excellent trip!
Paul
FollowupID: 785208

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Sunday, Mar 31, 2013 at 18:45

Sunday, Mar 31, 2013 at 18:45
The Landcruiser Club & Trackcare are clearly fighting a losing battle trying to look after the track if this many 4WD's are on it in such wet conditions and treating it with such scant respect!

No wonder we're constantly losing access to great tracks.
FollowupID: 785256

Follow Up By: get outmore - Sunday, Mar 31, 2013 at 19:26

Sunday, Mar 31, 2013 at 19:26
At least if there all on the holland there leaving all the better but lesser known goldfields tracks alone
FollowupID: 785259

Follow Up By: Dags - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 22:00

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 22:00
My mate and I got back into Perth after starting the track saturday night with his Bravo delaying the trip with a breakdown in my driveway friday.
I'm guessing by Pauls post that delaying by a day may have been a godsend, as we only encountered probably 15 4x4s, mostly with camper trailers.
We started on the usually forgotten section from Hyden/Lake King rd, across Lake Hurlstone, past Marble and Emu Rocks, (nice grassed campsite opposite Emu Rocks overlooking a smaller lake) and ended up camping near Sheoak Rocks just on dark.
I will say I did go through a large water filled hole between Hyden/Norseman rd and Sheoak Rocks, not at speed since it caught me by surprise and with mud and water over the bonnet I said there and then I'd be more careful.
Once past Mt Holland the water was minimal, with the ruts being mostly sticky mud.
We passed a lot of vehicles heading SW towards Hyden but everyone was thinking and bypasses were uneventful.
Just before Krakouer Rocks we stopped and helped an elderly gent with the sidewall ripped out of his Suzuki's left steerer, compliments of a pesky tree root.
What did impress me was on this trip we actually found 4 of the Agnes Gnamma Holes. I'd never found them before and I thought they were pretty interesting.
Up towards Thursday Rock the wet mud returned and there was a couple of doozies, which after getting mud on my clothes every time I got out of my Triton I avoided.
We camped sunday night between Thursday Rock and Victoria Rock rd and hit the gravel headed for Coolgardie early monday morning.
I did the track with 20psi in the tyres and most could be done in 2wd but for the sake of the corrugations please use 4wd.
The Holland was as interesting as I've ever seen it and was the best trip out there yet.
Great trip and thanks to everyone out there that was very friendly.
FollowupID: 785450

Sponsored Links