Diesel Fuel Filter 200 series LC

Submitted: Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 22:54
ThreadID: 101172 Views:3045 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just put in a second fuel filter within 400-500km. Mechanic had a look at it for me and said I had fuel fungus and some water. He emptied the filter pot which was full of large bits of crap and washed it out. He recommended use of a fluid that breaks down the fungus. This in itself isn't my problem. It just led me to consider whether or not it would be prudent, and indeed possible to put in a `pre-filter filter' of some kind.
This action is only being considered as I've heard of a couple of stories relating to poor fuel quality etc. some of which include metro stations. To me, anything I can do to protect my Cruiser can only be a good thing. As the old saying goes, prevention is better than cure......!!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 23:06

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 23:06
Take a squiz at http://www.responsiveengineering.com.au/6306/Home/

Waterwatch filters are well respected and I will be having one installed soon.
AnswerID: 507083

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 08:20

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 08:20
There are heaps of good info on the 'Land Cruiser Owners On Line' forum. Here is the link to the site, it is free to join.LCOOL forum
AnswerID: 507096

Reply By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 10:19

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 10:19
Thanks guys.
AnswerID: 507113

Reply By: Ross M - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 11:02

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 11:02
Arsenal Phill
Only a week or two back there was much discussion about this issue.

It sounds like you need someone to pump out your tank with and external pump with the sucking pickup positioned at the lowest point in the tank Ie tilted to side and forward.
You will need to treat your tank with a fungicide additive to kill the nasties though.

After that you can then fit an additional filter to add some security to the issue.
There is some dispute about waterwatch filters. They are very good at detecting the water, not sure about the crap though. They detect water but don't actually try to stop water continuing n the system so once it signals then the absorbed water in the fuel ie, emulsified water is already knocking on the door of the original filter and possibly got through it too. It just tells you water is there, so more an indicator , which is good, but not a preventer AFAIK.

My view is to have something which at least attempts to dewater the fuel and also filter it.
This filter will be a few microns bigger than the OE filter and therefore filters out the major amount of crap and also dewaters as much as possible.
This leaves the OE filter then to do the final sweep for finer particles with out being swamped by large amounts of bigger sized particles.
I like the idea of a large pre filter or two smaller ones. This will allow time for the fuel to be running slower through any filter there and it will have a greater effect in removing both water and particles. Two filter will also present less restriction to the fuel system and negligible restriction will be experienced by the HP pump. They don't like being starved at all.

Anything you add will begin to provide some level of additional insurance, I prefer the multi tasking filters ie water removal and filtering. Just knowing water is in the system isn't everything.
Ross M
AnswerID: 507115

Follow Up By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 16:45

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 16:45
Thanks Ross. Brilliant information and advice. I'll do some follow up and see where I get!!! LOL
I really appreciate you taking the time.
Take it easy, be lucky
FollowupID: 784320

Reply By: Batt's - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 00:16

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 00:16
Just asking because I've never had problems with fungus in any of the 5 diesels I've owned but would it have anything to do with where you get your fuel from if so shouldn't you try a different brand of fuel to solve the problem
AnswerID: 507181

Sponsored Links