100 series battery isolator-best location?

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 15:57
ThreadID: 101186 Views:9205 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all. Just about to install a Projecta duel battery system into our 100 series petrol landcruiser. Would anybody have a suggestion as to where the best position is. I understand it will be on the intake side, but where?
Cheers Chris.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 19:07

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 19:07
Hi Nootsa,

I installed a Redark dual battery system into my 2003 100 series. Iguess the Projecta would be similar.

I made my own battery tray as it was way cheaper than those comercial ones and it is a made of better material as well.

I had to relocate the overflow bottle and place it closer to the front of the vehicle on the radiator support panel. This left enpough space for the N 70 battery.

I made up a new tray out of 3mm gal and created the standoffs (2 of) and welded them to the underside of the battery tray. Keep the tray as low as you can. At the bolt nearest the air cleaner the tray is sitting on the inner guard.

There is a small electrical device, not sure what it does but it looks like a voltage regulator, and I had to relocate this to a point closer to the firewall but on the same RH side wall. It was at point A in the pic and was relocated to point B onto a bracket I made for that purpose.

The dual battery cutout solenoid was fitted into the sapce between the new battery and the aircleaner but on the side wall, see pic.

Mount the battery tray first then fit the battery and see where you can best locate the solenoid in the area I mentioned. If I recall correctly I used one existing hole and used a self drilling TEK screw for the second mounting bolt.

If you need more info just ask.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 507154

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 19:29

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 19:29
Just a correction,
I did not have to relocate the overflow bottle.

I did relocate the power steering oil reservoir to a point closer to the firewall just in front of the master cylinder as shown by the white arrow.
It has been a while since I did all this so it is a bit hard to remember.

I included the manual over ride switch into the setup and I have had to use it several times as the vehicle does not get a good run to charge the start battery properly.

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 784338

Reply By: scandal - Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 18:00

Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 18:00
I have mine mounted on the passenger side guard just behind the fuse box and in front of fuel filter on the horizontal area
My cruiser is 2005 live front axle with a N/A deisel
AnswerID: 507296

Reply By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Friday, Mar 22, 2013 at 10:45

Friday, Mar 22, 2013 at 10:45
Plenty of room on inner guard behind second battery on passenger side. No need to relocate anything.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 507343

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 16:15

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 16:15
Hi DingoBlue and Scandal,

Sorry guys but it cannot be fitted where you suggest without some major relocation work on the petrol units.

I have the 2003 V8 petrol cruiser and the charcoal canisters are fitted to the left guard where you suggest so there is no place there to fit an extra battery. This also applies to the 105 6 cylinder models as well from what I can see in the photos I have seen. In fact there is barely enough room to locate a small LPG converter in that location on the petrols.
That is why I chose to put it where I did.

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 784832

Follow Up By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 16:26

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 16:26
Hi Bruce,
I didn't read the 'petrol' bit. My apologies. Maybe I should have the frontal lobotomy!
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 784833

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 16:42

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 16:42
Don't worry about it mate, when I open my mouth it is usually only to change feet. LOL

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 784834

Sponsored Links