Stove safety

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 19:32
ThreadID: 101191 Views:1751 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
A safety alert emailed to me today highlights the need to read instructions no matter how simple the equipment.
Two campers received serious burns when setting up their new butane single burner stove. The accident occurred through a failure to read the instructions and turn over the trivet plate. This caused the flame to impinge on the gas bottle in the stove causing the butane canister to explode.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Terry W4 - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 19:50

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 19:50
Very good point. Always read the manual. Don't assume you know how things work. I just wish more manufacturers produced manulas and not rely on net or CD manuals.

AnswerID: 507159

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 20:24

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 20:24
Presume this is the type that uses the butane case cans that fit in besides the burner. Will now go and check how I've been using mine. Only read instructions when it don't work and it's worked ok to date.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 507163

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 20:39

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 20:39
This link I guess. Hmm.... will check mine - sounds odd - I know they come in various styles that have minor variations on the original design, but I thought they couldn't be lit if the trivett was upside down. To be so incredibly cheap and so effective, I think those stoves qualify as masterpieces in industrial design.
AnswerID: 507165

Follow Up By: Lex M - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 20:53

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 20:53
They have a lockout to stop them working with the plate upside down but a heavy hand can overcome it.
0
FollowupID: 784349

Reply By: get outmore - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 23:33

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 23:33
exremely hard to believe.......... considering they can work if the trivet isnt turned over - part of it interferes with the mechanism making the scenario that "supposedly" happened immposable. many times ive forgot but been reminded when the stove doesnt work
... urban myth

and before any one disagrees... try it
AnswerID: 507177

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 23:35

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 23:35
considering they cant work


correction
0
FollowupID: 784358

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 11:32

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 11:32
I too had the thought that maybe someone has had a lend of the Department. The warning does mention the use of a large pan - IF people did get injured, its probably the oversized pan (there is a limit mentioned in the instructions).
0
FollowupID: 784394

Follow Up By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 11:53

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 11:53
I was stopped at a caravan park good friday a 3~4 years ago, went to the loo and was walking back when the wife came running yelling the kitchen was on fire (in the c/t) It was the $20 special from Big w. I knocked the stove off the kitchen top it fell apart and went out.

2 Days later the we were at Poison creek out past Esperance and cooking for several people when I started my spare, Boof (technical term) lost my eyebrows, lost the hair on my arms, burnt my jacket and near on c%#pped myself.
I think in both cases the gas bottle was not seated correctly. but the lever is not supposed to go down unless it is.
I am now using them again as they are small and light when I'm just in the ute but I check the gas bottle alignment every time.
0
FollowupID: 784397

Follow Up By: Member - Legendts - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 17:53

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 17:53
The email came to me from friend working in the safety dept of Caltex and was a genuine safety alert to petroleum employees.
0
FollowupID: 784424

Reply By: ben_gv3 - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 11:11

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 11:11
My butane stove has a big red/white sticker on the bottom of the trivet stating to turn it over before use.

Sometimes people need to be reminded about their own ignorance/stupidity.
AnswerID: 507194

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)