3 litre gu Nissan patrol

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 02:03
ThreadID: 101197 Views:9788 Replies:5 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys just another question on patrols. I have looked at quite a few Nissan patrols and I will probably end up buying a 3 litre turbo diesel. Can I have some feed back on what year models I should keep away from. Thanks callum
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: tentman - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 08:17

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 08:17
Hi Callum
You would be better off on the Nissan forum
AnswerID: 507184

Follow Up By: Mark&Sue - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 08:18

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 08:18
All of them.
FollowupID: 784369

Follow Up By: Mazdave - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 08:32

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 08:32
Mark & Sue, This is the type of answer that is typical of the uneducated scare mongering fools that have no real knowledge of these vehicles. If you cannot offer anything constructive, I would suggest you don't offer anything at all. I have had 2 3 lt GU Patrols, a 2004 and a 2008 CRD, both of them very capable off road vehicles,
Yes I may have minimised the risk involved in any engine problems by only holding them for 3 years and 80,000 kms each, but of all the tens of thousands of 3 litre sold, do you really think they all have problems. There are inherent problems with all makes and models and even the "unbreakable" vehicles have them. Granted the GU may have a higher percentage, but they are not all bad!
The Patrol forum is very good advise in allowing anyone to make an informed decision.
FollowupID: 784372

Follow Up By: garrycol - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 10:07

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 10:07
I am with Mark and Sue - stay away from all of them on the basis that the risk is just too great.
FollowupID: 784382

Follow Up By: Graeme - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 10:35

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 10:35
I had a 2001 3l Patrol and was a tough brilliant vehicle. The only thing I did not know about the problem with the early 3 litre engine which was fixed in the later models. eventually I had to replace an engine.
The later and especially the CRD are a good vehicle, generally they have no more problems than any other makes of the same era.
Sadly they as a model are slagged off by people who have not owned one and have only heard that their uncles second cousins brother-in-law had problems.
It is also the driver as well. They need regular servicing same as Toyota, Kia, Hyundai, Landrover etc. all of which are good reliable 4x4.
Garrycol, you and I own Landrovers which are a fantastic 4x4 but are also put in the same unreliable box as Patrols; ironic!!
FollowupID: 784384

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 11:23

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 11:23
as Mazdave has pointed out above, its a lottery that you should participate in only if you can afford to lose.
Best way is pick one up cheap because the resale on them isnt that flash.
Just dont get sucked in by salesman talk and paying a premium for what is essentially a quite good vehicle the value of which is unfortunately only talked up by people who already own or are selling one.
FollowupID: 784393

Follow Up By: garrycol - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:41

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:41
I agree Graeme - but with these non crd patrols it is not a matter if it will happen but when it will happen - may not happen in your ownership but sooner or later it will happen and then it happens again.

Having said that a guy I know has had one for 10 years and it is still running fine - however he feels that he is still waiting for it to go bang but it hasn't.

FollowupID: 784401

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:46

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:46
Fisho64

It woudl be good if you could elaborate and provide some detail as to how you have formed your opinion. Especially if you were effected by a engine failure or first hand knowledge fo trade in values.

Or is it knowledge you have heard from friend of yoru wifes 2nd cousins hairdressers next door neighbour!

Alan
FollowupID: 784403

Follow Up By: patsproule - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:51

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:51
I have followed the ZD30 powered patrols since their release and the number that have had a melt-down is astounding, and way way above the statistics for other vehicles. Almost every couple of days someone comes into the patrol4x4 forum complaining that theirs just imploded. For a short while they had an active register of of the fallen and the numbers were staggering. And that's just the sample in one forum. Sure they are a good vehicle when running but with the number of nightmare stories about the cost of engine replacement who would want to risk it when there are other capable vehicles around with a much less chequered history. And then there is Nissans famous ongoing denial that any problem exists. I'd buy one, but as a project to drop another donk in.

Pat
FollowupID: 784404

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 13:03

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 13:03
yawn Graeme
you'll notice I did not slag the car off as being bad.
It matters not a rats crack because if general opinion on the vehicle is as above then resale is curtailed. Justified or not doesnt matter.
Only a halfwit would pay above market value for one, and market value isnt that high due to general opinion of the engine.
If you or your hairdresser were one of those, well bad luck.
Where did I hear it? Right here on good old exploroz, and patrol4x4. Oh and 4WDaction.
Might have left some out but you get the drift. Next your going to tell us its a conspiracy theory and George W Bush had something to do with it?
FollowupID: 784405

Follow Up By: Graeme - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 15:36

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 15:36
Fisho64
I owned a 2001 GU II Patrol for 12 years and at 147,000 km I had an engine failure and it cost $10,000 to drive out with a new engine.
It was the GU III when the first engine fix came through with a redesigned block with better oil flow to the bottom of the pistons and there have been further improvements as time has gone on.
The CRD seems to have overcome all problems and now the engine failure rate is on par with say the 3l D4D in the Hilux and other similar vehicles.
For anyone thinking of buying a good tough tourer one would have to look seriously at a late, well maintained Patrol for value.
I now own a Landrover Discovery D4 simply due age I do not want a tough tourer; comfort is more our style these days. For the knockers I have done outback touring to Chambers Pillar, Bungles and have in exactly 12 months covered 38,000 km without one problem.
FollowupID: 784417

Follow Up By: Member - Bentaxle - Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 19:57

Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 19:57
Callum, sure the 3L Patrol has its problems. I have a 2000 3L model the engine died after doing 340k most of which was hard off road, I've now replaced the donk with a 2006 version with 60,000k on the clock and had injector pump die after 9mths, the previous owner had traded it for a Brunswick Diesel and it appeared he hadn't been to great with his maintenance schedule.
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 784525

Reply By: bluefella - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 08:59

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 08:59
Hi Callum
If that's the way you go.
1.block off the EGR.
2.Relace air cleaner element at 1/2 recomended intervals.
3.Make sure MASS AIR FLOW sensor is clean.
Just my opinion.
Next thing mate is enjoy your 4x4.
AnswerID: 507188

Follow Up By: bluefella - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 10:02

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 10:02
TYPO...Replace.
FollowupID: 784380

Follow Up By: Member - Bentaxle - Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 20:00

Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 20:00
If you block off your EGR wind back turbo boost or you will blow motor as a result of higher boost
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 784527

Reply By: Alan S (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 10:39

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 10:39
Callum

The 3lt when it first came out was in the Series 2 which was about 2001(?) The majority of the blown motor issues occurred with this series. The series 3 (about 2002/3) had improvements to overcome the problems. Although there were instances of Series 3 motors going boom.

Since the Common rail verison has come out the problem seems to have been overcome as you dont hear much of the issue any more.

One of the problems was that Nissan never really detailed the cause and handled the issue with customers very poorly. Although there were from some customers unreal expectations, i.e high mileage vehicles out of warranty that owners wanted full cost recovery of new motors etc. However had nissan handled the situation better this may have been avoided.

I have had 2 GU's a Series 3 and Common Rail Series 6 and both have been good cars. Overall running costs are good and are about $20k cheaper new than a comparitive Land Cruiser.

As with any secondhand car try to avoid high mileage cars, check service history if available.

Alan

AnswerID: 507191

Follow Up By: Cravenhaven - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 11:21

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 11:21
The 3l engine came out in the series 1 in about 1999. I had a second hand 2000 model and I found it quite enjoyable to drive. I sold it at 170,000ks and I had no reason to distrust it.
I now have a 2002 4.2l patrol and love it.
My advice would be to look for a 4.2 as they have no history of engine problems and Patrols are well known for the strongest drivetrain of any 4x4.
cravenhaven

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 784392

Reply By: Pete G - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 16:53

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 16:53
spaanderman

Looks like a lot of the responses are from non members and armchair experts.

I can speak from experience having owned and driven the GU2 ZD30 May 2000 build for 510k. My son now owns it and it has now done 540k. The original motor blew 1 & 2 at 140k in Aug 2003. The replacement motor which has now done 400k was a GU3. The vehicle is going well and the pump and injectors were not touched on swap-over and have not been touched at all to date. The motor was absolutely kept bog standard except to add a fan over the intercooler. No pyro or boost gauge was used.

Dont take this as absolute gospel, however my info is:
The GU2 Patrol was released in May 2000 (5 slat grill)
The GU3 Patrol was released Oct 2001 (Large chrome 3 slat grill)
The GU4 Patrol was released Aug 2004
The GU5 Patrol was released Early 2007 with the CRD motor

There is a lot of confusion out there regarding Patrol models as they appear to have adopted a MY approach and there were a few update versions as well.

It is the GU2 motors I would recommend you stay away from for the following reasons:
1) Some of the GU2 failures were replaced with the GU2 up until mid 2002.
The oil galleries in the block were altered and more oil cooling was added to the
underside of the pistons in the GU3.
2) Some people simply replaced 2 pistons and put the vehicle on the market
3) With the GU3 replacement a new computer was part of the deal.

To the baggers out there just remember the problems faced by other makes viz hiluxes solidifying the oil, drama's with the early surf turbo's, big ends in the 80 series, broken diffs in the IFS cruisers, injectors in Jacks etc etc.

You did not say what you were looking at model wise but IMHO late GU3 and above should be fine. Expect a turbo at 300k and clutch about 350k (mass balance lets go). Watch the dealers as I am seeing lots of GU2's being advertised as GU3's (the grille is the way to tell)

Whatever you do check the engine no against compliance plate which will tell if the motor has been changed and follow that through.

Keep in mind that you can buy a genuine crate motor (bare long) for about $8k.

I have an MY11CRD with 45k on clock now. Nice and more refined comfort wise, however the tire size/gearing changes mean it runs about 400rpm lower and I think it is now out of the sweet spot that the ZD30 ran in.

Regards

Pete G

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 507213

Follow Up By: Mick O - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 22:19

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 22:19
Even though I now drive a 79 series ute, I'm in the Peter G camp. I had the 2002 GU3 ZD30 and it cost me a bomb. The motor went, 5th gear and the intercooler. Having said that it was simply one of the most capable and comfortable 4x4’s you could ever have. What I asked of that vehicle was above and beyond a lot of the time and it constantly delivered and never let me down in the bush (motor went on a 42C day towing a heavy trailer up hill on a highway)!

If you can stretch it to a 4.2l do so, if not a late model GU3, or later model will serve you well. If you are nervous about it spend a few bucks and put on a larger exhaust and an EGT gauge and be cognisant of the engine temps when towing large vans up hills ;-)

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 784449

Reply By: tentman - Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 08:02

Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 08:02
Most of these replies are exactly the reason I haven't renewed my membership, I also made the mistake of asking a question about a Patrol, even being called an idiot after buying one. Apparently this blokes advise was far more important than my own thoughts and the advise of others.
Our Patrol a 3lt diesel 2008 has been fantastic, a little bit thirsty, but pulled our camper up to and around Broken Hill without missing a beat.
Buy the car that suits you and you budget, do the research and you will be fine

Richard
AnswerID: 507244

Sponsored Links