EZ Camping Trailer

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:41
ThreadID: 101205 Views:2362 Replies:2 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys, My partner bought a campertrailer from this company in October. It was used for around 8 days over Christmas, then three weeks on a trip to Tassie. In this time we noticed that the stitching is coming apart at several of the pressure points of the tent. There has been no reinforcing fitted to these areas. We also experienced leakage problems in the only two times that it rained on our trip. We had followed the correct procedures as defined by the company to water proof. As the warranty only covers the tent for 3 months we're out of pocket for the repairs. At this time I would definitely not reccommend that anyone buy from this seller
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Krooznalong - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 14:28

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 14:28
G'day Susan
Surely you didn't expect a cheapie to be a bed of roses!

I too bought a cheapie (different brand) and expected problems - and I wasn't disappointed. However I was prepared to fix them myself and did. It's now a very adequate little unit. I anticipated it would leak and was prepared with a suitable tarp. I am currently working on some proper seam sealing so I can leave the tarp behind.

Rained twice in 4 weeks of use for you - wow - our 3 weeks in Tassie we got rained on almost every day! Lucky I had the tarp.

I think that if the material is that polycanvas sort of material then wetting in advance has, in my experience, no noticeable effect. That only works on proper cotton canvas.

The issue of the stitching is not so flash - thankfully ours has been OK in that respect.

AnswerID: 507206

Follow Up By: Susan B8 - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 16:27

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 16:27
Thankyou for your reply and yes we didn't pay huge money but for the amount of reinforcing that it would have required to make it a good unit would have probably cost them around $10 at the time of contruction. Having worked with canvass in the contruction of horse rugs I'm well aware that it takes little but a bit extra time to do this. We do know that we were lucky in Tassie with the rain, that wasn't the issue, just emphasising that it didn't take much for it too leak.
We shall take on your advice to pack a tarp in our future trips. If the stitching was half decent we would be very happy with our purchase, so hopefully once we have addressed our problems we will enjoy it. Once again thankyou for your suggestions and happy camping
FollowupID: 784418

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 17:24

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 17:24
Got to worry when gas struts are an optional extra......
FollowupID: 784422

Reply By: Member - J&R - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 16:22

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 16:22
Why do you only have 3 months warranty?
Australian statutory warranty on anything new is 12 months, or am I confused?
AnswerID: 507211

Follow Up By: Susan B8 - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 16:33

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 16:33
Well now I'm confused. When my partner contacted them they informed him that it was 3 months for the canvass and 12 months the trailer. Do you think we should delve into this further
FollowupID: 784419

Follow Up By: Member - Grundle (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 17:18

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 17:18
yes certainly,there was a artical in one of the papers a while back about extra warranty on goods being a waste of money because of infered warranty,ie what time you would have exspected the product to last in comparison to what you paid for the item.I have had success arguing this line.Wish you luck.you may need to go to ombusman.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 784421

Follow Up By: Susan B8 - Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 10:28

Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 10:28
I wonder if it would help any if we argued that the stitching problem isn't really a product problem but a manufacturers failure to construct the tent properly. The stitching hasn't broken, simply pulling away because it hasn't been reinforced.
FollowupID: 784468

Follow Up By: kev.h - Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 20:20

Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 20:20
Statutory warranty only applies unless stated otherwise ie the 3 mts on the canvas and has to be advised to the buyer prior to or at time of delivery If it is stated in advertising or on the packaging that is sufficient.
Try the warranty angle first ask will they fix it -you might be lucky otherwise go the not fit for the purpose for which it was designed or faulty workmanship angle
best of luck Kev
FollowupID: 784533

Follow Up By: Member - Grundle (WA) - Friday, Mar 22, 2013 at 17:02

Friday, Mar 22, 2013 at 17:02
I know the artical i read stated that you would have a case.Wish i could find it(have just shifted so some stuff still in boxes).I would still argue both angles and if no satisfaction go to ombusman.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 784612

Follow Up By: Susan B8 - Friday, Mar 22, 2013 at 18:58

Friday, Mar 22, 2013 at 18:58
Many thanks to all those who have commented on our problem, we will see if the company will come to the party, and consider taking it further if they don't. You have furnished us with some great suggestions which will give us a starting point. Once again thankyou
FollowupID: 784620

Sponsored Links