Bore Track

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 00:59
ThreadID: 101247 Views:2009 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Evening all. The SA Desert Parks bulletin says the Bore Track north from the Burke-Dullingari gas plant is open. Anyone done it lately or heard any reports? Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 08:35

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 08:35
Unfortunately, as Justin said, it is only the Northern section of the track in the Innamincka Regional Reserve that is open. The Southern section through Bollard's Lagoon Station is closed.
This means that it is really a dead end road as access at the Southern end of that section is restricted Santos roads although I have been on them without challenge. (Cross fingers)
Pity as I really like that drive.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 507396

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 09:47

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 09:47
Problem is with Bollards Lagoon is you have to pass thehomestead and i guess as you enter the property from the north, they will have a sign saying no entry, its a long way back if you enter from the north and you cant get through. Its not a long distance but it can take most of the day with a lunch stop. I agree Allan, its a great drive. The $10 pass fee must not have been worth the damage to the road. I cant remember if there was any claypans on their property or they are north of it. A few fools can do a lot of damage in the wet weather so thats probably the reason.. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 784649

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 10:53

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 10:53
Yes Michael, I have not discussed it with the Station but can only guess the reason for closure is track damage and having to rescue people. There are several claypans across the track on the station section which can pose a problem when wet. The Northern section through the Reserve is mostly sandy.
I worked with Santos in that area some years ago. Built a gas satellite plant at Toolachee which is just West of the Boretrack, so was familiar with that country. Things were more relaxed in those days but now, Santos and other gas/oil producers are more protective of their roads and installations. So are stations!
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 784657

Follow Up By: newhue - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 18:39

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 18:39
That's a real shame. It was out planned route in a couple months. Maybe no money from us at Cameron's Corner after all.

Seems from my experience last year out in the centre. As soon as it rains many people feel they have not had "an outback 4x4 experience" unless they cover their trucks with as much mud as possible. Also seems to not enter their little heads at all, that earth moving equipment on average cost $1000 per hour. I'd close it too if it were me.

shame people are so selfish. Thanks for the heads up.
FollowupID: 784846

Sponsored Links