3 way fridge won't light

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 12:09
ThreadID: 101252 Views:5802 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
can you help !!! Got a dometic rm 2350 3 way fridge that won't light on gas .works on 240 . have done some searches on this with no luck yet .Have just got this van so don't know history , former owner said was working OK . caravan is level , gas on , tap on .
Do I need power ?
I can't smell any gas .
Have followed instructions on lighting .
Taken front panel off for a closer look .
Can the fridge be moved forward for a better look ?

cheers

Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 12:14

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 12:14
If it hasn't been used recently the gas can dissipate from the lines. Our stove is above the fridge so I light a burner on the stove to make sure the gas is flowing, turn it of and then the fridge lights easier.
AnswerID: 507403

Follow Up By: Member - KEITH W (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 18:36

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 18:36
i find this does help.
FollowupID: 784676

Reply By: Priscilla G - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 12:39

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 12:39
Ours was very difficult to get going the few times it was used on gas ,then gave in completely.Had to take the van to a Dometic service place. You will find them if you google. Took a while for him to find the problem, got new part & so far ok.Service man said there had been quite a few with the same problem.
AnswerID: 507406

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 13:06

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 13:06
G'day Nick,
My mate recently could not get his 3 way fridge to light so called me over after much swearing! I read the instruction book & it said that the thermostat setting for when you are using 240V had to be set to Zero if you switch to gas.
Did this & bingo away it went. He was really annoyed because by the time he called me over he had the fridge pulled out & the access panel on the van removed so he had to put it all back together again while I went back to camp & enjoyed a beer while having a laugh at his expense!

Not sure of the fringe brand but yours might be the same. Also make sure you purge any air out the line as well.
Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 507407

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 14:21

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 14:21
Thank you all for your replies ,I have just worked out that at some stage ( last 500 a temps) the fridge has started :-) But the red indicator over green has not changed at all :-(

if any one has got any suggestions luv to here them .

cheers
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 784666

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 15:43

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 15:43
Those absorbsion type fridges take about 12 hrs at least to start cooling. I have a portable 3 way fridge & it takes forever to get cool in comparison with my Engel compressor fridge.
Maybe wait till morning & it should be ok. They are pretty good once they get going, just take a while.

Sounds like you had air in the gas line. I let the gas run for about 20 seconds before pushing the piezo ignition & my pipe has a much shorter run than a van gas pipe. If you push the igniter straight away as you have found you try forever getting it to light.
FollowupID: 784672

Reply By: Member - Alan John C (WA) - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 14:13

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 14:13
Just make sure van level as newer versions will not start if not level

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 507413

Reply By: uncle arthur - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 14:19

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 14:19
had same problem with my fridge. Found the igniter switch was faulty would work if I hit it and not if I just turned it on normally. Replacement switch from Jaycar Electronics $3.50 and now works every time.
AnswerID: 507416

Reply By: vicw4114 - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 18:43

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 18:43
After you have tried all of the other suggestions and after many "tries" if it still does not light ensure the end of the bypass valve which sits in the gas flame has not come loose.sometimes it has a small bracket attached to it with one screw.If this screw comes loose the bulb can vibrate out of position... therefore the mercury in the bulb will not shift and as soon as you let go of the bypass knob the flame will go out. Readjust the position of the bulb so that it sits in the middle of the flame.Then try lighting again.
After all this if the fridge still does not work you will need to take the burner from below the boiler.You will see a small nut on the gas supply tube...carefully undo it and take out the jet.Soak the jet in metho for about 12 hours.After this period blow the jet out with air (DO NOT USE A PRICKER) and try lighting again.
If it still does not light it could be a gas thermostat malfunction.Take fridge to an authorised repairer.
Good Luck
vicw4114
AnswerID: 507431

Sponsored Links