Dual batteries

to all the pathfinder drivers I need some help please, I have the ti 550 r51 pathfinder and I need to fit a second battery to it to supply power ro the car fridge. could you let me know where you have located your second battery please, as I don't have enough room in the engine bay, the floor in the back of the luggage area is out as I require the seven seat configuration for the grand children . If some one can shed some light on my dilemma I would be so grateful. If any of the Auto sparkies have done an addition that I am trying to do please your input will be gratefully accepted as well. thank you for your input.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 14:15

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 14:15
For what it is worth, Overlander Magazine December 2012 has a feature on a private diesel 2007 Ti - the owner has kitted it out 'to the max' for offroad travel - a deep cycle aux. is mentioned but I can't spot the location in the photos supplied.
AnswerID: 507414

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 14:26

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 14:26
I shall check it out thank you for that
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 784668

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 19:25

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 19:25
Hi Broodie,

Maybe shelling out for the biggest Optima Battery that will fit into the current battery space, or even with a slight modification to the battery holder, will work better than a whole heap of other modifications and may be cheaper in the long run. There are a number of these batteries that are in starting/deep cycle configuration.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.
AnswerID: 507435

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 10:07

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 10:07
Hi Wayne, Thank you for the in-put the r51 has the biggest battery that can fit under the bonnet, it is huge it is bigger than my truck batteries hence no space under the bonnet with the v6 diesel motor. I shall keep on pondering the question and maybe some one on here can come up with the solution. from what I have read so far there are several options to consider that I hadn't considered. thanks again Wayne.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 784719

Reply By: Member - Barry H (WA) - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 20:05

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 20:05
Hi Broodie H3,

Lots of luck with this.

I have a TI R51 Pathfinder and I went through the exact same thing as you.

I dont use the third row of seating, so I was able to mount a 100ah AGM in the rear cargo area, but if it wasn't for not using the third row of seating, it would have been almost impossible to mount one.

I had various suggestions, from mounting it under the drivers seat, to mounting it under the running board.

I will be watching to see where you end up putting it.

Regards

Barry H
AnswerID: 507437

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 10:24

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 10:24
Good morning Barry, I wish I could mount it under one of the front seat but under the seat you have the motors and heating system for the seats I have even looked at the back seats but they are designed to fold flat so that counts that out too. I'll let you know where I finally put it because I am not going over the gcr and plenty highway without an auxiliary battery of some description. thank you for the input
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 784725

Reply By: 99problems - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 21:05

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 21:05
Hi Broodie,

Had a similar problem in my wifes R51.

Ended up self installing a thumpstar battery into rear, was easily removed as wired the connecting anderson plug to a point near the rear cup holder in the cargo area.
AnswerID: 507442

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 10:29

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 10:29
thanks for the info 99[what happened to 86 LOL] but it looks as if I am going to have to go the same way, did you have to install a battery charger at the same time to keep the battery fully charged while driving
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 784726

Follow Up By: 99problems - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 19:02

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 19:02
The thumpstar came with the charger which I mounted near the cup holder. Was an easy install.
FollowupID: 784774

Reply By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 21:13

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 21:13
Hi Broodie

We normally supply the FLYER for the Pathfinder.

[img]
[/img]

Regards

Derek
AnswerID: 507445

Reply By: Member - Luke B (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 08:02

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 08:02
Hello Broodie H3,

I had the same problem when setting up my '06 Pathfinder.
I looked at two main options; a permanent or removable battery.

Permanent Second Battery
There are a couple of companies that do a second battery holder for the R51. The battery is fitted under the car and attached to the chassis rail. The Piranha example is here:
Piranha Battery Trays - Nissan

Removable Battery
There are also a few options for a removable second battery.
The Thumper system was mentioned above. This is the one I used. You can get a package that includes the wiring and dual battery management. I had this fitted so the Anderson plug is in the rear and I only have the battery in the car when I need it for the fridge. This way the rear seats are usable at other times. I used the 75 amp hr like the one here:
Thumper

Battery boxes like the Sidewinder one mentioned above are also a good option. A few companies do a similar thing and they vary in fittings from just a battery box to ones with charge monitors, plug etc.

A new option is the ArkPak. This is essentially a sophisticated battery box and it may interest you. You can check it out here:
ArkPak at BCF

Hope this helps
Good Luck
Browny
AnswerID: 507459

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 10:46

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 10:46
Thanks for the links Browny, it is appearing more likely that I shall have to go for the individual power supply the Piranah battery bracket is not suitable for the ti 550 as it has the dual aircon system in it . I did like the look of the thumper though, I shall do more research on them thank you
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 784730

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 21:52

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 21:52
Thank you to all that have responded to my question, I have solve the problem I think I was at the Perth caravan and camping show today and came up with a thumpstar battery system, after checking out all that were available this one seems to tick all the boxes, with in reason. Once again I thank you all for your advice and input.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 507499

Reply By: Robtbob NSW - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 19:38

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 19:38
I have a 2010 2.5l Pathfinder. Had a dual battery fitted by Macquarie 4X4 at McGraths Hill near Windsor NSW. They fitted 2 new batteries in the engine compartment. Nearly 3 years old, did the big loop plus many trips and it runs the engle great.
AnswerID: 507566

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 22:16

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 22:16
Hi Robtbob, thanks for that.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 784875

Sponsored Links