Troopy or HiLux

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 14:11
ThreadID: 101255 Views:4668 Replies:13 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Currently have a 2006 1HDFTE Troopy with 125,000 kms. Wife wants more comfort. Thinking of one of the new utes, or the old design HiLux. Should I change the car, or the wife?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: allein m - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 14:17

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 14:17
hard question what sort of condition is the wife in any rust or suspension sag and the engine is that still going strong lol
AnswerID: 507415

Reply By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 14:21

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 14:21
Purely from an economic perspective I would think that changing the wife would have an extremely negative impact on your financial well being.
From a purely practical and personal satisfaction point of view I would keep the Troopy and tell her to get use to it. (;0)

Now keep in mind that is just my advice to you and if you tell her I said any of this I will strenuously deny the lot. LOL

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 507418

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 14:24

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 14:24
By the way, when you do sell the Troopy, which is what is going to happen, how much do you want for the old girl.

NO NO not the wife already got one and certainly don't need another.
The TROOPY.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 784667

Reply By: The Bantam - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 15:00

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 15:00
Ask ya self, how much of this is "grass being greener" or simply unfounded perceptions.

Remember they are two very different vehicles....both with ride like a dray under the wrong circumstances.

SO..what exactly is this comfort issue.

Perhaps some money spent on some new shockies, some better designed springs and maybe some aftermarket seats, would solve most of the comfort issues.

Add a few meters of heavy automotive underfelt and you could achieve some considerable noise improvements.....with a bonus of improving the efficiency of the aircon.

If ya more or less happy with the troopie.....why not just fix the comfort issues.

cheers
AnswerID: 507419

Reply By: Ross M - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 15:25

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 15:25
What you have is far better than a Hilux and if you fit seats with suspension to it then the ride will be far more comfortable and cheaper than any vehicle trading.
Are the shocks original? They could be adding to the poor ride quality if RS. Multiple rebound of suspension is very uncomfortable and wearing on driver, passenger and vehicle components.

I used Nissan Skyline suspension rubbers and made 8 mounts for 2 Skyline seats which I fitted to a 60 series. Took the harshness out of the ride.
The engine you have is a good engine and at 125,000km any dealing means you WILL lose on the investment you made in buying a troopy.

Ross M
AnswerID: 507422

Reply By: mountainman - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 17:18

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 17:18
you wont loose too much money on the troopy if you sell it.
with the last model 2006 and only 125k's its still a pup.
should pull 40 grand easy with those k's..

DONT SELL the TROOPY.
look at parabolic suspension.
they have a dealer in WA, or somewhere.
beautifull ride when empty or full.
expensive but the blokes who go that way would do it again in a heartbeat..
all you will need is 2 leafs for the rear, and get the shocks off them, or get custom set made up, the parabolics require a certain shock to work well with the springs.
once achieved a beautifull ride is achieved.

hilux is a great vehicle, but in no where near to what the cruiser is capable or robust.

even chinaman say....... keep troopy.
get wid of wife..
problem solfed.....
AnswerID: 507424

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 17:39

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 17:39
Our Troopy has heavy-duty rear springs and shocks which support the high load well but are a pretty solid ride.
The answer was fitting a pair of Stratos 3000LTSS suspension seats. They made an unbelievable difference to ride comfort......... we simply float along yet still have the robust suspension needed for our areas of travel.
Would be a cheaper option than changing either the vehicle or wife!
I've actually never heard of someone dumping a troopy. LOL
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 507427

Follow Up By: Boeing (PER - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 22:11

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 22:11
Hi Allan,

I have the RV Troopy with the 5 seats as standard.

At the Caravan and Camping show here in WA today I did some viewing and sitting on seats and looked at the Stratos LTSS seats. They are awesome but my problem is that when the seats are folded forward the suspension system ie back plate stays in place. This makes it difficult for rear passenger entry as far as I can see but it would be good to get confirmation of such. So, if you folded your suspension seats forward ie back section and bottom, would a passenger be able to get past the seat to the rear bench seat with little trouble?

Cheers

Mark
FollowupID: 784782

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 23:20

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 23:20
Hi Mark,

As you say, the back plate remains in place when the seat back is tilted forward. It is not the same issue for me as there is no rear seating in our Troopy, the bed and stowage occupy the rear section. Also, the seat rear does not simply tilt forward in the same way as usual for rear access systems. The rear is 'wound' forward in the same way as tilt adjustment is achieved and therefore takes a several seconds.

I do have some stowage behind the seats and access to that area is possible by simply releasing the seat slide and moving the whole seat fully forward. Possibly this would be sufficient to allow passenger access to the rear seats but I cannot be sure of that. It is probable that both sliding and tilting the seat forward would provide enough room even though the back-plate is still vertical but it would be a bit time consuming. Are there other brands of suspension seats the do allow rear access?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 784788

Follow Up By: Boeing (PER - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 23:39

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 23:39
Hi Allan,

Thanks for that, will more than likely go for the 3000 LTS as it will be better to get the upmarket seats with armrests and back support. It has the extendable thigh support as well for long trips.

Cheers

Mark
FollowupID: 784791

Follow Up By: Boeing (PER - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 21:47

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 21:47
Hi Allan,

Just a update, will more than likely go the LTSS seat on the passenger side as my wife has a bad back (sometimes) and the LTS on the drivers side as I don't have a bad back but would like a piece of comfort. Trying to conform with "happy wife , happy life" but seriously she is at the ciro now.

Cheers

Mark
FollowupID: 784947

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 22:54

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 22:54
Hi Mark,

I don't know the 'LTS' model. Do you perhaps mean the LS (Sports Seat). This is the same as the LTSS but without the suspension, which would perhaps make it easier to get into the back seat.

The optional adjustable lumbar support is great too.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 784951

Follow Up By: Boeing (PER - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 23:16

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 23:16
Hi Allan

Yes you are right it is the 3000 LS. This would be on the drivers side not the passengers. Passengers would be the LTSS .Would go the lumbar support on both sides. Quoted a price on seating with a wreckers today. $880 per bucket recond with existing seat swapped . Toyota $3,500 per seat ????

Assess to rear would be via drivers side.

Cheers

Mark
FollowupID: 784954

Reply By: troopy 47 - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 18:32

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 18:32
Troopy all day every day suspension , shocker work great model you have stick with it.
AnswerID: 507430

Reply By: Rockape - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 18:58

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 18:58
Mate I owned 2 troppy's and had the last one for 17 years. The reason I sold it was because it was getting long in the tooth and I just can't be buggered swinging spanners anymore if something goes wrong.

As you say yours is a pup and with the right spring setup it will be as good as the new ones.

The missus has probably enough of the spartan interior. This can be updated by the edition of good buckets and then a center console + somewhere to put your coffee cup.

Our old girl had all that as over the years I just fiddled around until I got it right.

I followed a dual cab BT50 out of Jim Jim falls and boy I hope he had taken sea sick pills. Our old girl was doing it easy and the person pulled over and let us go. This was all with a fully leaf sprung troopy.

Spend $5000 and you have one of the best touring/load carrying vehicles vehicles ever made. I didn't go down this track because I couldn't justify paying out for a new troopy.
AnswerID: 507432

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 19:05

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 19:05
Well this "Troopy (long-in-the-tooth) girl" wouldn't be changing away from a Troopy, especially if you aim to travel to anywhere off the bitumen. Since it is alleged that we wimmin seldom say what we really mean perhaps a good heart-to-heart might be useful to find out what the issue really is.

Does your wife drive the Toopy? Does she have a constant commentary on how to change gears etc. Maybe its something along those lines that she means about comfort:-)

But if the troopy is a daily driver she may have a point about comfort - but as others have said, there are a few things you can do to improve the ride.

IMHO Troopys are fun to drive especially off road, and have excellent visibility.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 507433

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 20:03

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 20:03
Mate

I was in a similar situation many many years ago when I was heavily involved in motorcycles - both racing and non racing ! We were young, big mortgage and not flushed with money but I priced up a brand spanking new road bike and showed the now ex wife the glossy brochures and she said to me " if you buy that bike I'm leaving ! "

12 good, happy, enjoyable trouble free years I got out that bike !

Choose wisely my friend !!

All the best

Gazz
AnswerID: 507436

Reply By: VistaMax - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 20:51

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 20:51
Thanks to all who responded to my husbands query. Even those who questioned my level of rust and sagginess.
Looks like we will be spending some more money on the Troopy to keep me happy: consols and seats. We do have adjustable tough dog shocks, but he can now set them for a softer ride. It will be cheaper than an apparently new inferior ute. Mind you, we have had 2 troopys before this one, and have done most of the desert tracks. AB, Tanami, Gary Junction, GCR etc plus 5 crossings of the Simpson. But as I get older, I thought more comfort would be nice. The mention of the soft ute coming out of JimJim Falls sold me on keeping the Troopy. Binns Track this year.
There sure seems a lot of loyal Troopy owners out there.
AnswerID: 507439

Follow Up By: fisherPete - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 10:10

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 10:10
I get to drive most 4wds on a regular basis in my job, and the coil sprung troopys ride as well as most, but yes the seats leave a lot to be desired.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 784721

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce and Di T (SA) - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 23:49

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 23:49
This sounds just like people we know!!

Di and Bruce
FollowupID: 784881

Reply By: Pebble - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 16:30

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 16:30
In my case I thing our current troopy has the most comfy ride of most 4x4's we've owned...mostly utes and even a Hiliux, as "the passenger" most of the time I found supsension always too harsh.
The troopy we have now has newish OME suspension (although DH thinks it's a bit too soft so probably will go to Tough Dog nex) it's the old dash new engine type lol.

I think once retirement comes around (some years to go till the kids are old enough to even think about leaving home) then I'll definitely buy a new seat, the stock ones just don't do it after a few hours, and it's a GXL model that has two buckets with a bench in the rear rather than the sideways facing ones.

I wouldn't go for an old design Hilux, had one didn't like it, it felt like it always wanted to drift around gravel corners.
Hubby loved his old 79 series ute but it wasn't practical with the kids, he loves the V8 engine in the troopy more anyway.
We even had an 80 series, which was pretty good but ended up being too porky weight wise after all the goodies were added (draws, wheel carrier etc etc), bit of a safety hazard when your car is too close to GVM.

I would consider a new cruiser ute only if we were dead set on having a tray top camper jobbie or something to that effect. Really though I'd probably rather the troopy and a camper trailer if need be, at least you can leave it behind for day trips.

Hey you could always look at one of the new troopys, v8 engine, more modern dash and probably even an airbag or two lol! Although knowing Toyota you probably still need to replace the seats anwyay!
AnswerID: 507487

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 08:50

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 08:50
I think I am in agreement with pretty well everyone else. Had a hi lux and now have a 60 series LC (which is fairly comparable to a Troopy) The Hilux was actually considerably dearer to run. It used a little less fuel but things kept breaking. Your answer might depend on how much you want to use it off road and how much time you spend driving it in the city. If you go in the rough stuff, I'd be keeping the Troopy. If you spend a lot of time city driving, I'd lean to the Hi Lux.
And I agree with everyone about getting better seats. We put some cheap Honda buckets into our 60 series (done with proper engineering approvals). The comfort difference has been huge.
AnswerID: 507527

Sponsored Links