Big Trip - Need for Travel Insurance or Roadside Assist?

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 21:43
ThreadID: 101260 Views:2225 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We are going on a three month family road trip through central Australia and the Kimberley.
We have a not-quite 3 yo Prado that will still be within warranty. It is insured, and I have arranged for our home contents insurance to also include a $4000 "bundle" of things outside the home.
We will be towing a trailer that belongs to friends and is insured by them. I would be reluctant to call on that insurance for theft etc from the trailer, however it is there in the event of some sort of write off of the trailer itself.

Given the above, should I consider either:
- motoring association roadside assist (RACV in our case, which I know has reciprocal arrangements with the others) - whilst our Prado warranty would cover problems with the car only, I believe RACV covers trailers also. (Appreciate that sometimes our location will be sufficiently remote that this will be irrelevant, and will be carrying spare parts etc, but we will be covering plenty of distance on more trafficked routes also)

- travel insurance - eg in case of medical emergency evacuation, need to return home for sick family member etc
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DereelGirl - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 22:17

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 22:17
Hi Carolyn,
I had top RACV cover when I went up to Cape Leveque and they were fantastic when I was airlifted back to Broome hospital for a weeks stay. I also flew home from there and I made my own arrangements to get car camper and accompanying passenger home. RACV covered $1k of those arrangements. It was a last minute change to my policy (the night before we left) but I am so glad we had it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 507451

Follow Up By: Carolyn R2 - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 22:49

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 22:49
Hi Robyn,
so do you mean you had RACV travel insurance (as opposed to RACV total care roadside assist)? Or was it a combination of both?
(PS sorry your trip came to an early end)
FollowupID: 784699

Follow Up By: Member - DereelGirl - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 01:28

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 01:28
Carolyn, we had total care and they probably would have organised everything but I had time on my hands so did it all while in hospital. It was a shame the holiday didn't go quite to plan but I still enjoyed the trip up there and the 4 days I had before my back gave way. With a bit of luck I'll get back there soon.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 784708

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 09:32

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 09:32
Watch the content of your home cover as some will only cover if away from home for less than 90 days. Some policies also have a condition that they are not covered if in a camping situation.
I would absolutely get the top RACV roadside assist cover. You can never have too much cover and the relatively small cost is well worth it.
If your vehicle is diesel check that your insurance will cover for damage to the engine due to contaminated fuel.
AnswerID: 507466

Sponsored Links