Engel 60l combi can it be one big fridge?

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 08:48
ThreadID: 101264 Views:12605 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

I'm Looking at buying a engel 60l fridge freezer combi, I'm wondering can you run the unit as a complete fridge. Has anyone done this who owns t
And engel combi?

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 09:30

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 09:30
No mate,

Looking at the Engel web site, the 57l Combo has separate fridge/freezer compartments.
(32l fridge, 25l freezer.)
You can buy a 60 litre fridge/freezer, (one compartment) but you operate it as one or the other.
Just bear in mind, both models draw as much as 4.2 amps so you need some serious battery supply if operating away from 240v power.

I don't run my 40l Engel as a freezer, but if I needed a portable freezer, I would be looking at a separate smaller unit just for this purpose.
Perhaps the MT15 (15L) ?

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 507465

Reply By: Mick O - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 10:13

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 10:13
Owned 75 litre combi for three years. Centre divider has a fan in it. It could be possible but would take a lot of trial and error and I think there would be a fair discrepancy in temperature between the two compartments.

Do you have the room to consider a two-zone attachment. They work exceptionally well.

75 litre engle combi review

Cheers. mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 507471

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 11:19

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 11:19
Micko,

An excellent suggestion with the Twozone attachment.
I forgot all about that gizmo.

Twozone fridge attachment
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 784735

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 11:24

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 11:24
If this is a high priority for you, perhaps you need to consider an alternative like National Luna. A bit more exxy, but excellent low current draw fridge with separate temp controls for both compartments. The only problem I found is if you set the freezer to full blast cold (-20C), you're hard pressed to keep the fridge compartment above about -2 to 0C. However you can happily run both compartments at 1-4 or whatever you wish.
AnswerID: 507475

Reply By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 14:21

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 14:21
You can indeed run the Engel 57L combi as all 'fridge,
This is how we run ours most of the time, and how it's running right now...

Simply set the thermostat accordingly..

If you leave the cover on the 'freezer' compartment (but have it set not to freeze), then the other compartment will be somewhat 'less cool', depending on how often you open the lid.. This can often be an advantage, depending on what you have in there...

For more even distribution of 'coldness', simply dispense with the 'freezer' compartment cover.. Just put it aside somewhere handy.........

With the aforementioned cover out of the way, and the thermostat turned up a notch or 2, you can even keep stuff frozen in the 'non freezer' compartment...

We've had ours for nearly 10 years now, and apart from a minor problem early in it's life (compressor cooling fan, replaced under warranty), it has given sterling service..
Very handy and versatile piece of kit, IMO ;-)

:)

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 507480

Follow Up By: rooooboy - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 14:27

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 14:27
Sounds like a Good idea, does the fridge work harder with the freezer lid off?
FollowupID: 784755

Follow Up By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 15:13

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 15:13
Not that I can tell...

The compressor *may* run a little longer initially, but once that 'equilibrium' is reached, it cycles in the normal manner..
(compressor more often 'off' than 'on', from my observations)..

The 'fridge is currently being used as an extra 'fridge in the house, and is keeping meat, milk & butter (among other things) 'just right'....

As with all 'fridges, it's how often you open the lid/door & put warm stuff in there which has the greatest bearing on run time..

We have a decent battery bank + 200W of solar panels, and we've not yet had any problems keeping power up to this + an older 29L Engel (usually run as a freezer) while on the road, or while camping for several days in one spot... (there's always the gennie if we get a few days w/- no sun ;-))

:)

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 784760

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 15:53

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 15:53
Yep agree with Ed.
I have one for sale in the trader section of this site complete with slide etc and ran it as a fridge on regular occasions, worked very well indeed.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 784762

Sponsored Links