Suggestions on nicest route from Melbourne to Canberra via Jyndabyne?

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 11:42
ThreadID: 101267 Views:2351 Replies:4 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, we are planning a trip in mid April this year (couple of weeks time in fact - yay!!!), towing a 20' van with diesel AWD Ford Territory. We are taking an inflatable boat/motor to do a bit of inland and sea fishing while on the trip, so suitable places to use it do appeal.

The planned trip so far is Melbourne to Mansfield (probably the Lakeside Ski Club caravan park on the edge of Lake Eildon) and then a drive to Craig's Hut for the day. From there we want to get to Jyndabyne, and really unsure which route to take (taking heed of the many comments about The Alpine Way and Snowy Mountains Highway. Should we go to Tumut and then down the Snowy Mountains Highway, or go via Khancoban and the Alpine Way?

Looking for safest road to drive on and still get decent scenery, and access to some nice fishing spots on the way (happy to do some stops on the way and even some feedom camps is anyone can suggest some?).

Also if anyone has any really special recommendations to stop at or visit on this route, that would be appreciated too.

Thanks in advance,
Sean
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: patsproule - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 15:30

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 15:30
Tumut is nice. Khancoban is Gorgeous. In a rundown out of the way sort of way. We spend a lot of summer on the lake up there. And the drive from there up to thredbo is spectacular. You can go from Khancoban across to Batlow, then Tumus and the via the brindabellas to Canberra if you want.
AnswerID: 507485

Follow Up By: SEANDF - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 18:28

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 18:28
Thanks for your advice, that sounds a pretty scenic route. Only question, when you say via the Brindabellas, I am assuming mountain range? Is that down the Snowy Mountains Highway?
FollowupID: 784767

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 19:46

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 19:46
Quote "You can go from Khancoban across to Batlow, then Tumus and the via the brindabellas to Canberra if you want."

The OP is towing a 20' van. I would not tow any van over the Brindabellas. I will however tow a van from Khancoban through Dead Horse Gap to Jindabyne.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 784854

Reply By: Graeme - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 16:05

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 16:05
With a 20' van you will find the Alpine Way VERY difficult due the narrow road and very tight switchbacks and often no room in some places to allow oncoming traffic to go by.
But of course it is the most scenic and I do recommend that you do a day trip around it without the van if you have time.
For scenic drives without a van the Barrys Way is as good as it gets, and is well worth the drive, although it is very narrow in places with a large drop at the side with minimal passing clearance.
AnswerID: 507486

Follow Up By: SEANDF - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 18:29

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 18:29
So Graeme, if we headed to Tumut and came down the Snowy Mountains Highway through Adaminiby with the van, into Jyndabyne,
a) what is the scenery like, and
b) is it tricky going with the van with steep inclines/descents and twisting narrow roads - or is it reasonably easy going?
FollowupID: 784769

Follow Up By: Graeme - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 18:56

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 18:56
Any scenery in the Snowys is stunning and there will be no problem with the van on the highway. The road is good and the inclines are not too steep.
There are a couple of nice bakeries in Jindabyne and have a nice walk around the town and lake. It is a nice refreshing place.
FollowupID: 784773

Follow Up By: Member - Terra'Mer - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 23:47

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 23:47
Hi SEANDF,

There is a steep windy incline heading up from Talbingo but nothing compared to some of the stretches of road between Khancoban and Thredbo. If you want to visit Yarrangobilly Caves and thermal pool there is a bit of steep windy road there too but okay if you take it slowly and it is also made a little easier being one way roads in and out of the caves.

If your tow set up is good then a side trip and potential camp destination is Long Plains Road, Coolamine Homestead and BlueWaterholes caves and short bush walks. Goes out to old huts and school houses, lots of brumbies and native wildlife (if they haven't been culled). For just a day trip you could ask to park the van at Yarrangobilly and visit the huts and Blue Waterholes from there.

Kiandra is a gold mining ghost town but if you have the right maps and nav skills you can do a long day walk from there up to one or 2 alpine huts. If you cross the Eucumbene heading east there is a beaut hut called Whitses Hut, very ambient. I have photos on Google Earth of most of the huts in that area but Whitse is one of my faves.

If you want to try hut camping (not actually camping in the hut but using it as a base for meal prep, toasting marshmallows in the fireplaces, drying out clothes and boots, etc) without the bushwalking there are 2 recently rebuilt huts between Kiandra and Adaminaby with parking space off the road.

When you get to Jindy you can take your van without any hassles to Dead Horse Gap, just past Thredbo before the steep windy section to Khancoban. Great views and bushwalking, another good 1 day walk to Cascades Hut or just park in Thredbo and walk to Kosciusko. Camping is good in Ngarigo and Thredbo Diggings camping grounds (they might still be free)

If you need any advice about where to explore or how best to exlpore it drop into Wilderness Sports at Nuggets Crossing shopping centre Jindy and have a chat with Bruce and Ros. They have been operating local adventure sports for travelers and schools for over 20yrs.

Enjoy the trip :)
Have you seen my marbles?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 784792

Follow Up By: graham B9 - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 08:22

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 08:22
Hi Sean,
I agree with Graham. There are 3 ways in, 2 from Khancoban (either left or right there) and both I would not recommend towing wiith a Territory. Then if you go in from Tumut there is a very steep hill this way as well. Not just steep, windy and a very long climb. A territory is not a vehicle for towing a 20 ft van up this kind of grade. It can over heat the transmission and cause permanent damage.

Goinging from Tumut is the better of the three. I would suggest camping in a couple of places and doing day trips. There is some fantastic country there and a day trip will let you recon the route as well.
FollowupID: 784799

Follow Up By: SEANDF - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 12:59

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 12:59
Sounds great advice, and can't wait!

Much appreciated, cheers!
FollowupID: 784818

Follow Up By: SEANDF - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 20:18

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 20:18
"FollowupID: 784799 Submitted: Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 08:22
graham B9 posted:
Hi Sean,
I agree with Graham. There are 3 ways in, 2 from Khancoban (either left or right there) and both I would not recommend towing wiith a Territory. Then if you go in from Tumut there is a very steep hill this way as well. Not just steep, windy and a very long climb. A territory is not a vehicle for towing a 20 ft van up this kind of grade. It can over heat the transmission and cause permanent damage.

Goinging from Tumut is the better of the three. I would suggest camping in a couple of places and doing day trips. There is some fantastic country there and a day trip will let you recon the route as well."
////////////////////////////// - (PS can't work out how to embed this previous conversation) //////////////////
(Sean continues here): Graeme B9, I am a little confused on your last post here especially if there is risk to my vehicle. Just to clarify, it's a 2011 AWD 2.7l diesel Territory with a 2.7t towing capacity. I tow it all around Tassie and up some pretty steep windy inclines without problem - however I haven't driven this section of road, and will take advice on it.

You say, going in from Tumut there is a very steep hill which is steep, windy and a long climb, which you believe could overheat my transmission. FYI my van weight is around 2.2t fully laden.

But then you say going in from Tumut is the better of the three (routes). So, just to clarify, are you saying if I drive to Tumut, then drive to Jindabyne via the Snowy Mountains Highway, through Adaminaby etc, it is this section of road you have concerns about for me? (or are you saying that that section of road will be fine?).

Really concerned I don't put at risk my investment.

Cheers,
Sean
FollowupID: 784862

Follow Up By: Graeme - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 22:30

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 22:30
SEANDF Your rig will have no problems towing as that 2.7 TD and the ZF auto is also in the heavier Land Rover Discovery and it can tow 3500kg without a problem.
Just enjoy the wonderful scenery.
I am so glad you liked Tassie; I do too as I grew up in Launceston in the 50s and early 60s and was paradise.
FollowupID: 784877

Follow Up By: SEANDF - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 05:48

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 05:48
Cheers Graeme, that makes me feel better. I must say I have been really pleased with the towing capacity of the Territory, and have done a 5,000km trip to SA last year over to Port Lincoln, Quorn, Broken Hill and Mildura without incident. Averaged 15l/100km which I was well pleased with.
Oh and you are a Tassie boy too! I was born in '57 in Smithton (NW Coast) and lived in various parts of the state - Avoca, Orford then to Hobart. Fabulous state, but now wonderful to be able to explore the Big Island too!
Thanks for your helpful advice, and fingers crossed we don't get ice and snow through the mountains when we do the trip next month. Hope we can enjoy that magnificent scenery, and bag a fish or two as well.
Cheers mate,
Sean
FollowupID: 784885

Reply By: Nicole G - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 22:40

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 22:40
Hi Sean, we were in Wangarratta over Christmas and returned to Sydney via Khancoban. Stayed at a beautiful spot Behrs flat on the Geehi River stunning woke up each morning with a view of Kosciuszko range, go to second campsite though across river. Went through Thredbo and Jindabye then on northern side of National Park stayed at another great spot called Blue Waterholes this is about 40 mins south of Tumut. As is national park non flush toilets only no showers. Nicole G
AnswerID: 507505

Follow Up By: SEANDF - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 13:00

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 13:00
Cheers, will look this one up, thanks for that.
FollowupID: 784820

Reply By: Member - Terra'Mer - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 00:16

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 00:16
Forgot to mention potential fishing holes along the easier Tumut - Jindy route including side trips and detours.

Tumut River, Blowering Dam, Jounama Dam, Eucumbene River, Tantangara Dam, Providence Portal, Lake Eucumbene, Anglers Reach, Buckenderra, Lake Jindabyne, Thredbo River.

Another scenic route suitable for vans in good road conditions is the Shannons Flat/Boboyan Rd between Cooma and Tharwa. More huts, lookouts, bush walks, aboriginal lithographs, old space observatories but some of the road is dirt and a few locals might take you by surprise because they take this route fast to avoid highway traffic.

:)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 507513

Follow Up By: Member - Terra'Mer - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 00:29

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 00:29
Cold fronts can bring snow to the alps (snowline about 1400-1600m) anytime in April. It has already been snowing up there this Autumn.

If snow is forecast to fall between Tumut and Adaminaby don't be tempted to try and cross. Too many people have had accidents up there thinking they could get across before the road iced over.

In April the snow/ice doesn't last long so just find a nice fishing hole, like Talbingo, and wait a day until it melts away.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 784795

Follow Up By: SEANDF - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 09:02

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 09:02
Okay, that's great advice, thanks! Yes we were planning to go to the Tassie highland lakes this Easter, but looks like we are in for a cold snap there, so am re-considering that trip.

Really not too keen on dragging the van through snow and ice on unfamiliar roads, so will need to keep a real good ear on the weather forecast. Thanks for the tip there.
FollowupID: 784804

Follow Up By: SEANDF - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 13:02

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 13:02
Appreciate the advice on fishing spots. So pumped! Hope it doesn't snow mind you. Very pretty, but the ice is the real worry when driving.
FollowupID: 784821

Sponsored Links