OziExplorer, Memory Maps or Orux Maps?

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 17:12
ThreadID: 101273 Views:7851 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I've just purchased a Nexus 7 tablet for the vehicle. I've done a search and noted previous discussions, but rather than continue with an existing thread I thought I'd start a new one-
A) The available apps and peoples' experience with them develops quickly and I thought it best to have fresh information at the top.
B) I wanted to get a clear comparison between what appears to be the best options for Android mapping at this moment (I've tried Androzic and it has some good points but is becoming less of a competitor now Orux has been around for a little while).

I'm hardly a power user and would like to minimise the learning curve. On the other hand I want an effective system. My current thoughts are Sygic for turn by turn and Orux for moving map and plotting. I'm not very familiar with either Memory Map or Ozi.

Open to suggestions and asking for advice!

Cheers,

Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 21:44

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 21:44
Hi Mark.

I purchased an ASUS tablet a couple of months ago and loaded it with 'OziEx for Android' and a suite of maps I already was using with 'Ozi for PC'. Works brilliantly. Go to the Ozi site and click on Android in the Products list for an overview.

I am not familiar with the other mapping options you note, but I'd find it hard to believe there would be anything better than Ozi - it's the standard.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 507498

Reply By: WBS - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 22:05

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 22:05
I am firmly in the OziExplorer camp and have been for years. yes I am biased.

Why OziExplorer?
It was the first software I was exposed to. We used it to revise maps when I earned a living so I was familiar with it. It wasn't too expensive to buy is and is regularly upgraded at no additional cost. I have looked at other software but none have been able to surpass OziExplorer in functionality or reliability. The closest is Trackranger but that has limitations.

OziExplorer uses all the maps that I like and I have the ability to create my own maps by scanning paper maps. Not unique to OziExplorer I might add.

OziExplorer has versions available to other platforms. OziExplorer CE and OziExplorer for Android.

I made my decision on what tablet to buy based on whether OziExplorer would run on it. The iPad was not considered because of this.

I continue to use a Windows Laptop just because there's no version of OziExplorer available for the Imac or Ipad

I have used Oziexplorer CE on a 7" GPS for a few years very happily, without any problems.
I have now added OziExplorer for Android to my collection run on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 tablet. It works very well too.

For street navigation I use a totally different GPS, either Tom Tom or Garmin. I don't want to be switching between OziExplorer and the Street Navigation software while on the move. I seem them as separate functions altogether.

iGo8 is also a good street navigation software that runs on my 7" GPS (Windows CE).
In my opinion, you cannot use OziExplorerCE or Android.

There you go, I've given you my views and haven't commented on the others because I don't know enough about them.
WBS

AnswerID: 507501

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 23:37

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 23:37
Agree totally with WBS. Turn by turn completely different beastie to off road and any number of turn by turn option most of which are fine. However only me off road facility worth having and that's Ozi. I say that having wasted hundreds on all manner of other things to work on iPad etc. Nothin stacks up like a PC or Android running Ozi.
FollowupID: 784790

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 07:06

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 07:06
One point to remember is that OziExplorer (my preference) is the navigation "engine", but it doesn't include maps.

You also need to buy digital maps and again, my preference is the NatMap series of digital maps from Geoscience Australia. I also have the series of hema maps but find I rarely need to utilize them.

Natmap is about $100 or so to buy and comes on DVD.
The Shop on this site has them for $94.05 at present.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 784798

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 06:38

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 06:38
I have been using memory map for years on the PC and recently on Android.

It is much easier to use than Oziexplorer.

The program is free but like Ozi you buy the maps. Also it comes with a very good free 250K topo map of Australia.

You can download it from Google Play then look at any of the avialable maps for free for 10 days to check it out.
AnswerID: 507520

Reply By: ben_gv3 - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 08:10

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 08:10
I was a previous OziExplorer fan but I couldn't get it to work on my Android phone (Galaxy Nexus), even using the latest Android version. Also tried Andrioozic but wasn't very user friendly.

I've started using Orux and it's brilliant. There's really good info over in the MySwag forum. You have to load your own maps which depending on your set of maps may be easy/hard to do.

For turn by turn I just use the OEM Nav software on the Nexus (Google Maps).
AnswerID: 507524

Follow Up By: get outmore - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 13:54

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 13:54
Unsure what you could possibly have found hard about androzic?
I just installed and used it on a tablet. Took about 5 min with hema and natmaps.
Already had the maps on ozi so it cost 0 $
FollowupID: 784823

Follow Up By: ben_gv3 - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 07:33

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 07:33
It wouldn't run on my Galaxy Nexus. I couldn't work out why so I gave up on it. Orux has been a piss of piss in comparison.
FollowupID: 784886

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 15:12

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 15:12
We use Ozi. I cannot compare it to the others as I do not know anything about them and frankly I'm not interested because what we have suits us to a tee. Ozi does everything we need so why change for something newer that we do not need. We are not interested in keeping up with the Jones's. No way - never. That's why I still use Windows XP at home.

When planning a trip for just ourselves or for our two sons as well as ourselves, and all with in-dash boxes running OziCE, make up track files and waypoints and install them on all three cars. We often record and add audio files to the waypoints with turn left, take the right fork or even information about something interesting on the way. It works a treat. Just as you approach an interesting site the audio starts and we hear something from the internet about attractions, accommodation or shopping and added or edited by us. Even information that I have read on this site may be added.

So whichever way you go think about the future. Are you going to have to change the platform because it doesn't do something that comes along and then you may not get your selected application to work and have to change and thus learn another package. We don't!!!

Best of luck.

Phil
AnswerID: 507543

Reply By: Member - silkwood - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 19:22

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 19:22
Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated. I'll have a play with the free programs and then make a decision. It seems Ozi is the most popular, I'm just worried it may be a little complex to learn.
I had a play with Orux last night and I'm very impressed so far. I'll report back if I find any issues.

Cheers,
Mark
AnswerID: 507563

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 21:59

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 21:59
Hi Mark.

Ozi can be complicated as it's got loads of functionality that probably 98% of the punters never use. If all you're doing is lookig at uploaded maps and loading/saving plots and waypoints like most, Ozi is easy. However, if that's all you want maybe the other programs also do that?

Cheers.

J.
FollowupID: 784873

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 00:17

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 00:17
As distinct to lots of apps and other modern programs, Ozi comes with a fully indexed and comprehensive help program and there's extensive online help available via at least one forum.
FollowupID: 784882

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 00:39

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 00:39
Hi JB,
If you're in the 2% that you are talking about, there is a lot of functionality that has yet to be "functional" in Ozi Android beta.

I hope the Alpha version is not too far away.
There are manual ways around most things, I don't want to go on a trip pushing buttons all day though, I might get sore fingers!!

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 784883

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 02:50

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 02:50
Hey Alan....

Just had a session with an genuine Dinosaur...look out for him out in the remotes. If you find him. it will be something along Northern Titalianite Range.

Must get together this stuff...

Cheers.
FollowupID: 784884

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 10:03

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 10:03
You know about the Titalianite Range, I'm impressed :)

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 784895

Sponsored Links