Another New Kid On The Block

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 22:03
ThreadID: 101277 Views:1828 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, have been looking at this site for months and have just decided to join. Relatively new to camping, have cheap dome tent and the basics. We are progressing quite quickly I think from full facilities in caravan park at Dubbo to non flush toilets in Kosciuszko National Park to nothing at Turon River. If it doesn't fit in the back of the Pagero we don't need to take it. We are thinking of going to Alice springs in October, however have promised my 12 year old that we would take her to the theme parks in Qld since this her last year of primary school. So my question is has anyone travelled from Gold Coast to Alice Springs what did you do, how long did it take and where did you stay? We are a family of 5, 3 children ages 12, 10 and 8. I know I will need a better tent, one of the many tossing up between the Blackwolfe Turbo or the Jet Tent!! Nicole G
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 22:57

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 22:57
Hi Nicole, Welcome aboard! There is plenty of info on the site and plenty of experience from the Forum to help you out! Good policy on the amount of gear to take, camping is about working with minimum gear and great ages of the kids to get them interested in the outdoors. If you stop regulary and let the kids out for a few minutes each stop, they wont get bored and will enjoy the trips. Enjoy!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 507507

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 08:37

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 08:37
Welcome Nicole

I'm not a good example as we tend to do long days and don't mind camping on side of road.

Brisbane to Winton , Boulia , Jervios , Alice is about 2600km and 3 days for us.

There is plenty of dirt road which mucks up in the wet but october probably isn't to bad.

Keep an eye on the weather.

The Hay river north simpson crossing ends near Jervious and there is also good camping down there (80km south) and sights to see but it is expensive.

One thing I would do and did, is to give kids there own little tent and provide the minimum help to them with the idea of them setting it up themselves.

You may be travelling alone - if not another thing that was a real hit amongst our group was giving the kids each a cheap little UHF CB.

They could talk car to car over short ranges and this really helped with travel boredom as they play spotting games and also learn the use of such things as well.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 507526

Sponsored Links