4x4 insurance

Submitted: Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 12:24
ThreadID: 101284 Views:4421 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Does anybody have off road insurance that covers the vehicle on the beach ect. I have heard of a person that had off road insurance, but when they went to claim, because the accident happened on a none gazetted road it was refused.(didn't happen on the beach)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: garrycol - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 12:40

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 12:40
Most normal car insurance covers you anywhere that is legal to drive however it does pay to check.

AnswerID: 507534

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 12:44

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 12:44
I am with QBE standard vehicle cover, no special conditions – slid off some rocks on a beach in WA.
QBE said it didn’t matter that it wasn’t on a road – repaired the damage without a quibble - said I was covered anywhere in Australia.
Look at your policy and see what’s excluded.
AnswerID: 507535

Reply By: Member - hopbush - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 15:03

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 15:03
Ditto Suncorp, covered anywhere, on road or off road so long as the vehicle is roadworthy. In a recent discussion prior to renewing my insurance, they said in their view there was less risk of me making a claim from a trip down the Canning stock route than there was of me driving the same k's to and from work here in Brisbane.
Having said that, you must still talk to your insurance company and discuss all aspects of your needs and the potential use of your 4wd.
AnswerID: 507540

Reply By: Bazooka - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 15:26

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 15:26
With AAMI, if it isn't in the exclusions list you are supposedly covered, although fingers crossed I haven't had to test that yet. Every policy has to have a PDS - read it closely to see if it suits. Bigger problem with older vehicles such as mine is getting a reasonable agreed value which accounts for accessories in a write-off situation. There's a heap of discussion on 4WD websites about insurance and people's experiences if you have the time to search.
AnswerID: 507544

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 16:28

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 16:28
We recently changed to AAMI from QBE. Main reason was that QBE would not cover for contaminated fuel and our cruiser being diesel this is a very important point when travelling in the outback. I sent QBE an email about this cover and this was their reply,
'I have referred your question regarding contaminated fuel on and have been advised that engine damage from contaminated fuel is not a claimable event with QBE, the service station would have to be sued for the damage.'
This being very difficult when travelling. I asked the same question with AAMI and they replied that we would be covered. AAMI were also a lot cheaper and I was able to get an agreed value cover and below is AAMi's clause for off road. I believe that the ‘reasonable precautions’ would be the same with all companies as with any type of cover. Kevin

AnswerID: 507546

Reply By: Member - Ups and Downs - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 21:30

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 21:30
TCIS, through the 4WD Association, offer cover anywhere you can take your 4WD.
I don't know what they offer if you're not a member.

AnswerID: 507578

Reply By: evaredy - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 10:48

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 10:48
I am with QBE and as stated they cover you anywhere in Aust. I spoke to them in regards to beach driving, bush driving, fire trails, water crossings, out in the middle of the desert etc and all are covered. Anywhere means ANYWHERE as long as it is legal.

The other thing to look for are things that are included, accommodation in the event of an accident in the country, Travelling expenses back home and back to pick up vehicle from repairer, hire car after accident, redelivery costs, towing costs etc.
AnswerID: 507601

Reply By: Member - Jo Q (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 12:57

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 12:57
Hi Kim & Di,

I am insured with the NRMA in NSW & spoke to them when I first bought my back then new 4WD. NRMA cover so long as the road is not on private property. Fire trails, beach, simpson etc were all covered.

I did $12,500 worth damage to my Nissan X-trail on Stockton Beach & had no issues with the NRMA processing my claim.


AnswerID: 508012

Follow Up By: garrycol - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 13:14

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 13:14
That does not sound right - so if you are driving up a long drive on a private property - or even the driveway to your house you are not covered. Doesn't sound right.

FollowupID: 785389

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (11)