Strange noise with LED lights

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 17:40
ThreadID: 101309 Views:2175 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We are having a little problem with noises coming through the speakers only on AM channels on the car radio when the caravan is on, and when the brakes or the blinkers are applied. This does not happen on the FM channels, i have hooked up a mates van with normal lights and the noises are not there, so i am assuming that it has something to do with the LED lights on my van. Has anybody had the same problem and if so can it be rectified.
Thanks Hayd 'n' Jude
Alcohol may be man's worst enemy but the bible says love your enemy

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 18:12

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 18:12
That can certainly be caused by the design of the particular LED lights Hayd.

Radio interference has a number of standard ways it can be reduced.

In your case it sounds like the first approach is to use the capacitor that is commonly used to reduce alternator whine - from there their are chokes etc that you can wrap wires around which in conjunction with capacitor can help.

If your not into that stuff you might be best to take it to a car radio installer and show them the problem , they will have a selection of RF interference products to try.

I have designed many systems , even huge projects like Southern cross station Platform lighting and the temptation is to use electronic switching power supplies
in these things and they always make a degree of noise.

In practise though I only use components that carefully match LEDs to there voltage and use plain old resistive matching , this minimizes the problem (same for HID lights - and many other common 4wd acessory items)
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 507628

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 18:13

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 18:13
Yes not an uncommon problem as the LED's cause interference, check all your earth/ground connections between van and vehicle as if they are crook it can exaggerate the problem. It seems to be mainly the cheaper LED units that do it as well.
AnswerID: 507629

Follow Up By: Member - Hayjude (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 18:22

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 18:22
Thanks Robin and ozhumvee,
I will go back and check my earth connections, then if that does'nt work i will get a professional to check it out.
Once again thanks
Hayd 'n' Jude
Alcohol may be man's worst enemy but the bible says love your enemy

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 784930

Reply By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 21:31

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 21:31
Probably the noise your getting is the on/off switching of the lights, LED light drivers use pulse width modulation to control the light function, brightness and heat.

If you take a movie of the lights when on you will notice they flicker as they constantly turn on and off.
AnswerID: 507646

Sponsored Links