Confusion by Suspension Dealer

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 17:49
ThreadID: 101310 Views:2541 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I am really confused and hope that someone might be able to shed some light on the following topic. (a bit long winded sorry)

I have a Colorado RC and after saving up for some time am able to upgrade and lift my suspension. I have researched and had a look at various threads and decided that I would like to get some Koni shocks - these appear to come with EFS springs.

I booked it in at local suspension store who ordered in the Koni Heavy Tracks, went to put them on and they found that they were too short (using existing torsion bars to lift the 40mm).

They then spoke to Koni aussie distributor who said that couldn't fit any Koni's to that Colorado and suggested I order my second preference of Bilsteins.

Ok I thought a little disappointed. Then I was looking at Ebay and there are lift packages specifically for RC Colorado's using Koni & EFS combo. I rang the ebay seller who said he got them from a particular distributor in Melbourne & that he had had no problems with the ones he sold.

So I rang this distributor, got to speak to the Managing Director who got my details and said they could do it and would be able to sort it out as they dealt with my local suspension store. Next day he rang me and said 'sorry thought the D-max & Colorado are the same but Colorado is 15mm higher - cant help you'.

So I'm thinking, why are there sellers still advertising for colorado Koni Lift Kits sourced by this company? Spending this sort of money I'd like to make sure I'm getting the best I can.

Any advice/ enlightenment gratefully received

Thanks
Mike
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gronk - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 19:07

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 19:07
Have a talk to Ultimate suspension.....you can talk to people who actually know their stuff and can build a shock to suit your needs..
AnswerID: 507634

Follow Up By: Member - Hunter Gatherer - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 20:51

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 20:51
Have just had a GVM upgrade for my new Sahara by The Ultimate suspension people from Ingleburn, the are very professional and know their stuff. The usual disclaimer etc, just a happy customer.
FollowupID: 784941

Reply By: Ross M - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 19:16

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 19:16
G'day Mike SK
I have heard there are no Konis available for Colorado/Dmax fronts.
If the shocks are too short then they are definitely the wrong one or not suited to the vehicle.
Mine have the following dimensions.
Compressed eye centre to top of first rubber 275mm
Extended eye centre to top of first rubber 397mm
It is very easy to slip an OE shock out and check.

The front suspension has the same amount of travel between the upper and lower between the Colorado and Dmax and the whole amount of suspension travel is designed into it and cannot be altered unless you begin modifying components which is usually illegal.

I bought Bilsteins from Eshocks in USA, 6 days to get them here. All up inc shipping $417
$880 in OZ.

The numbers below are both the old and the new numbers used by Bilstein and USA. Not sure if local Bilstein use the same numbers for the equivalent shocks here though.
QTY Item
2 x 24-002585 TOYOTA REAR SHOCK (B46-0258-H1)
2 x 24-020763 Nissan Front (B46-2076-H0)

The fronts are a Nissan fitment and are slightly tight to fit in the lower arm but are the correct stroke length/size, I have checked against the OE rubbish and what a total mismatch they are. Maaaaybe ok on a mountain bike, may control that sized suspension.

My advice is to get the rear springs you require for the load you intend to carry and with the raised front end, then buy decent shocks to fit. Anything will be far better than OE shocks.

No need to buy a KIT. I see kits as a CON JOB where they charge more for the same stuff.

Be aware nearly all Collies and Dmax raised at the rear immediately require spring/axle wedges to correct the increased pinion uni drive angle and return it to something sort of reasonable to reduce/eliminate driveline vibes. Something KIT and suspension sellers rarely mention or want to admit to, or even know about.

You may have driveline shudder and that requires lowering the centre bracket so the middle uni is also at a respectable driveline angle. This is more involved/tricky to do. I sometimes make these brackets.

You may have to negotiate the items you have and procure other gear as you go.

For obvious reasons, Please don't believe what susp sellers and dealers tell you without checking the integrity of the information. You shouldn't have to but you do.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Ross M
AnswerID: 507637

Reply By: Mike SK - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 20:38

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 20:38
Thanks for all the info Ross - that has helped reinforce what I thought - really appreciate you taking the time to share. Thanks Gronk too - I might give them a call & see what they can do.
AnswerID: 507642

Reply By: gbc - Wednesday, Mar 27, 2013 at 06:18

Wednesday, Mar 27, 2013 at 06:18
For what it's worth, I have a Colorado coming to the end of its working life (with us anyway). It has had the ironman heavy duty kit under it since day one and has performed well. It is a very mild lift of the rear and escaped the driveline issues that I also know about.
AnswerID: 507658

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)