Looking at Getting into 4WD

Hi guys, first post on this website, mainly looking for some advice from some people with experience. I have just recently sold my little honda civic hatchback and got $5500 out of it and am looking at purchasing my first 4WD. I'm into my hunting and we usually drive up dirt tracks and some light off roading to get to the spots in a mates 4WD so its not the most strenuous of roads but still gets muddy, some shallow-ish freshwater crossings and what not. So my dilemma is, what to buy?

Just to mix things up a bit a friend of mine's, dad,has offered me his 1991 toyota hilux dual cab ute for $3500, which has had some work done to it (aftermarket raised suspension, larger wider tyres, spotlights, radio, speakers etc etc) but it is at approximately 250000 km on the clock, its higher mileage than i would have liked but it does give me around $1000-$1500 to play with after all the swapping of ownership, mechanics checks etc have been carried out.

So my question is, what do you reckon? Get this ute or go at it on the private market to get myself a better deal. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: oliver p - Wednesday, Mar 27, 2013 at 17:09

Wednesday, Mar 27, 2013 at 17:09
forgot to mention im in the brisbane area, but im willing to travel some distance to get a better deal
AnswerID: 507679

Reply By: dindy - Wednesday, Mar 27, 2013 at 18:07

Wednesday, Mar 27, 2013 at 18:07
Oliver p.

You do not say if your dads vehicle is a diesel or a petrol. If its a diesel its just run in, if its a petrol you should get a lot more ks out of it if it has been looked after, services etc.
These vehicles are super simple to work on and to keep running, parts everywhere and relative cheap. If driven within their capabilities they will take you almost anywhere you want to go. Given its your first 4x4 it would be a good vehicle to learn the ins and outs of dirt roading and what a 4x4 is capable of doing. if you get a few dings so what. Take the leftover cash and use it for add ons. It is unlikely that you will find anything better with what you have to spend.
AnswerID: 507684

Reply By: Kimba10 - Wednesday, Mar 27, 2013 at 18:07

Wednesday, Mar 27, 2013 at 18:07
Oliver, for $3500k for a dual can lux with 250 on it I would jump at it especially if its a LN106 which is the 2.8 diesel. Slug of a motor but extremely reliable and very trouble free providing you change oil and filter every 5k (don't leave it any longer then 5) number 4 bearing will bleep itself and you will be up for a rebuild. Even if its the petrol 2.7 ?? still a great motor and fairly reliable. You would be crazy to pass it up if its in good nick, the klms you have mentioned is nothing for 22 year old car. I sold my lux dual cab 89 model (same shape your talking about) for $10,500 6 years ago with 300thou on it, 2.8D. Still check for rust, if its $3500 but full of rust, then its worth nothing. Cheers..................
AnswerID: 507685

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Mar 27, 2013 at 23:56

Wednesday, Mar 27, 2013 at 23:56
Good day Oliver, my first 4x4 was an fj40 great bus and just what the doctor ordered for a beginner. The Hilux you are looking at was my second 4x4, and that did the family for about year's and no hassles. If that vehicle was being offered to me for that price I would jump at it you won't go to far wrong with it and you will learn what your limitations are before going onto your next 4x4. It's is like the old saying once your bitten with the 4x4 bug you stay bitten, and your journey has begun . welcome to the club.lol
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 507706

Reply By: mountainman - Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 01:16

Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 01:16
if you do hunting, then youl want something economical.
the hilux would be a great car.
the old model 89 and before were great vehicles, reliable and bought cheaply with lots of parts around at the wreckers.
the 2.8 do suffer bad compression in one of the cylinders, and wouldnt last more than 300k.
they are a beauty with a turbo, but the gearbox fails..

their are a couple of hiluxes, v6 commodore engines, on outerlimits.com website in the classified section.
lots of money spent, and be a great buy !
AnswerID: 507707

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 17:09

Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 17:09
Have to disagree with you there mountainman. I sold mine with 300 hundred on it and now is over 400 and still going strong. The only reason they bleep them selves early in the piece because people don't change the oil and filter every 5k or less. Its normally number 4 pot that suffers first due to lack of lubrication. The pumps on them have a tendency to over fuel which results in the oil been contaminated very quickly causing it to sludge up hence the importance of changing the oil and filter every 5k or less which mine was done every 4k and using genuine filter and good quality oil. I wouldn't waste my money putting a turbo on them. The slight improvement in power is minimal and also some people do suffer with over heating issues in the warmer weather. V6 commodore motor was a very popular conversion and quit easily done but if your too heavy with the right boot the diff wont last either due to the power increase. There a great old beast and I found mine better then any of the 3 prados I have had (currently still have one) the hilux would walk up anything and the low range 1st behind the 2.8diesel was absolutely brilliant. And if Oliver is on his P's then getting done for speeding is a lot less likely chance which is a good thing these days. cheers......
FollowupID: 785034

Reply By: rooster350 - Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 11:52

Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 11:52
Have a look at a Musso...2.9l 5 cylinder turbo diesel Mercedes motor ,Ford gear box, we have a 2004 model , had 100000ks on it when we got it for $10500...bit older ones would be cheaper than that.Fuel usuage is quite o.k. , the ride is good and they have plenty of room inside...cheap way of getting into a 4x4. We tow a 1840kg loaded poptop and it does it with ease....cheers and good luck
AnswerID: 507725

Reply By: Member - Geoff M (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 12:49

Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 12:49
Hi Oliver,

My first 4WD was a '89 dual cab Hilux with the 2.8 diesel motor. Had it for over 15 years and was still going strong when I sold it to a mate. He is still driving it and it's got about 350k on it now.

I had to sell as I needed a utility with a tray and drop-sides for a slideon camper (the Hilux was a tub), unfortunately I bought a Mazda BT50 that caused me plenty of grief.

My opinion - grab the Hilux and enjoy! Plenty of parts still available for this model and plenty of upgrade options as well.

Cheers, Geoff
AnswerID: 507727

Reply By: oliver p - Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 23:35

Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 23:35
Good news, turns out my mate was wrong and the hilux is the 2.8 diesel
AnswerID: 507779

Reply By: Mike R6 - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 20:04

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 20:04
if it's a diesel, i'd jump at the hilux any day. another option in your price range could be a holden jackaroo diesel. they are a re-badged isuzu trooper (think japanese quality, especially the 3.1) and available quite cheaply.
AnswerID: 507824

Sponsored Links