Cape Arid: Esperance to Ballidonia

Submitted: Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 18:16
ThreadID: 10136 Views:3040 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Planning to go in Sept / Oct this year and will be towing a 4X4 box trailer with a Frontera. I was planning to carry about 60 litres extra (main tank 80) and I'am trying to get an idea of the track conditions as to the time it will take to get to the camping area at the bay. Also then on to Esperance. I have penciled 3 days to do this and see Esperance. Is this reasonable??
Take care and stay safe.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Pluto - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 18:49

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 18:49
Probably not. I have yet to get to Cape Arid and Isrelite Bay, but there is a fair bit to see between there and Esperence.

There is also fuel available at Condingup, about 70km east of Esperence.

PlutoGet out there & have Fun!!!
AnswerID: 44867

Reply By: Pluto - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 18:55

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 18:55
I just found out from a mate, who was there over New Year. He took eight days to do the round trip from Perth.Get out there & have Fun!!!
AnswerID: 44868

Follow Up By: Marc - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 09:27

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 09:27
Is that Skips 4X4? Good site with great photos
FollowupID: 307088

Follow Up By: Pluto - Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 00:22

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 00:22
Yep. Had a word with him yesterday. He was in the Cape Arid park its self for four days. most of that time was at Isrelite Bay and he bypassed the cape, having explored it previously. So your three day estimate is very short.Get out there & have Fun!!!
FollowupID: 307155

Reply By: Peter Guy - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 19:41

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 19:41
2 weeks ago on the way home from the eastern states we took the Balladonia to Esperance/Israilite Bay/Mt Raggard Road and found the first 80 ks a bit wet and rough, but overall OK.
The maps we used are not accurate and out of date.
From memory there is a fork in the track approx 80 ks in (our maps showed more like 120 ks) with a sign to Mt Raggerd left and Condo(Esperance) right.
The Mt Raggerd turn takes you to Mt Raggerd and from there you can proceed on to Israilite bay.
I heard the Mt Raggerd section is good, but the last bit to Is. Bay very rough.
The coast road from Condo to Is Bay is very rough too.
Been there before, but not this trip as I thought the track would be too wet after the then heavy rains.
We went through to Condo and on to the Duke of New Orleans Bay with no worries.
One of the best locations for beaches in the world! A must visit place.
The food at the Condo Tavern is great- nice tavern but they charge like wounded bulls for the drinks with the meal!!
As far as I can tell there hasn't been more rain so the track should be dry by now.
AnswerID: 44872

Follow Up By: Topcat (WA) - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 20:55

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 20:55
I agree with the comments Peter has made. I have done this trek many times & if heavy rains have recently occurred, main roads will close the road so that it doesn't get cut up as Telstra use it as a maintenance service road at the Balladonia end. Check with them prior to commencing trip or ring Balladonia Roadhouse for info. There are a couple of swampy areas before Mt. Raggerd on the Is.Bay track which might give you trouble but otherwise easy going is the word. The track below the escarpment can get very boggy so have good recovery gear if travelling solo. I would spend at least 5 days touring the area if you want to see most of it. There are plenty of good camping spots around the bay. A good exit track is the to follow the old Telegraph track from Point Malcolm to Mount Arid as there are some nice coastal scenery along the way. Cheers.Have Wheels Will Travel
FollowupID: 307034

Reply By: joc45 - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 23:35

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 23:35
Hi Marc, just posted some info with OziExplorer track files and waypoints to some other forumites.
The road can get a bit sticky if it's been raining. Re Telstra, even they can't get thru if it's really bad. But you have to be unlucky to get conditions like that. It's a good run.
Drop me a line on gerron@bigpond.net.au and I'll forward the info on.
rgds
Gerry
AnswerID: 44906

Follow Up By: Marc - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 09:30

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 09:30
will do. Thanks all for the info. I'am in the middle now of making a portable anchor for the winch and skip plate for the trailer.
FollowupID: 307089

Sponsored Links