Tyre age

Submitted: Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 14:54
ThreadID: 101371 Views:2498 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I have a set of Cooper ST's bought new in late 2009. I have only done 15,000 kms on them mostly on fairly tame roads. They otherwise are stored in the dark under my house. Are they too old to use one more time? I have gotten answers from 5-7 years max. What do readers think?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: allein m - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 15:33

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 15:33
Can a tyre be too old?

Car tyres can deteriorate with age. A tyre that’s been sitting in the spare wheel well for years, even though it’s never been used and has plenty of tread could be ready for retirement.

Heat, sunlight, ozone and other environmental conditions can all cause deterioration of the rubber compounds. In service this can lead to tyre failures.

Some industry experts suggest that worn out or not, a tyre may have passed its useful life after about five years, however this is not recognized in law.

A production date code is usually moulded into the tyre sidewall. Consult a reputable dealer for further advice on interpreting this code.tyresHow Long Do Car Tires Last

that should keep you going for a bit
AnswerID: 507806

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 17:01

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 17:01
Somewhere this morning I read a warning that older tyres may harden and not grip the road as well so should be replaced after six years. Nothing was said about the elsewhere publicised danger of them blowing if five or six years old.

Our caravan tyres and spare were taken off our F250 which was made in Brazil in February 2004. The original tyres are marked Made in Brazil but are not date stamped (that I can find). We had one blowout when touring in 2009 but they may have been in part attributed to lower tyre pressures, having come of station dirt roads and onto bitumen. When getting a replacement at the tyre service in Wentworth NSW I asked the owner about rotating the spare as the tyres may be "past their use by date". He did not believe there was any problem in using older tyres, saying there may be some damage if left out in the sun, but not if covered as our spare was under a black tyre cover. I said "We'll see" and although we have not done a lot of touring since 2009, the old tyres keep on rolling without incident.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 507816

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 17:23

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 17:23
It’s all about the risk you want to take.
I have an old trailer just for carting rubbish to the dump a couple of times a year at 60 ks hr.
The tyres are at about 15 years old and may outlast me – the risk of an accident is low.
It would be foolhardy to do that with a vehicle or caravan travelling at long distances, 100ks an hour fully loaded – the risk of an accident would be high.
FollowupID: 785103

Follow Up By: Rockape - Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 12:34

Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 12:34
MH,
had it happen with a set of wranglers. They became very dangerous when the road was wet. Came down to the same T junction twice and both times I didn't thing the vehicle would stop in the wet. First time, I thought it was clay on the road from cane carting but the second time, I got out and had a look and the road was clean.

I got them off quick smart.

Justin, your tyres will be ok if they were manufactured in 2009. One thing that did happen to a set of ST's that were about a year older than that, was they just tore themselves to bits on a trip. A Cooper rep had a look at them before the trip because of a bit of mild radial cracking and said they were in great nick. They had approximately 60000 on them and looked like they would go to 100000 but sadly they failed.
FollowupID: 785144

Follow Up By: Member - Justin O (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 31, 2013 at 11:45

Sunday, Mar 31, 2013 at 11:45
Thanks Rockape. I'll probably go for a set of newbies. Where I'm going is not well traveled so can't really afford the risk of 2 or more tyre failures a long way from a place where I can buy new tyres. I was going to risk one trip because it'll probably be my last to the outback for a long time.
FollowupID: 785217

Follow Up By: Rockape - Sunday, Mar 31, 2013 at 12:48

Sunday, Mar 31, 2013 at 12:48
Justin,
before you go and buy new tyres.

I will explain exactly what happened to mine so you can judge whether you will get new ones.

As said they had 60000 K on them with between 8 and 9mm left. One went down quickly north of Marree and by the time I stopped it was destroyed. I don't know why it went flat and that isn't the problem, it id what followed that was.

Now the others really started to tear lugs off and generally the tread was damaged right across the face. The interesting thing was the spare which had never been used and was from the same batch and age didn't suffer any problems at all. So the conclusion was the problem was related to the kilometres they had travelled and not their age.

Hope this helps you
FollowupID: 785230

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 17:11

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 17:11
Just before going on a trip – replaced the 5 year old light truck tyres on my caravan – they still had better than 3mm of tread. It was lucky I did so as one of the treads would have peeled – there was a fracture right across the tread of one tyre, which I didn’t see until the tyre was removed. I don’t go much past 5 years as the tyre hardens with age, whether in a shed or in the open.
Some time ago I came across a stranded traveller half way between Carnarvon and Geraldton in WA – his old van had very old tyres (he didn’t know their age) he’d blown his spare also.
AnswerID: 507818

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 09:28

Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 09:28
Justin

If you mount the tyre with the white lettering outboard there will be less UV damage ;-)

I think your Coopers deserve a major outback trek.

Bob
AnswerID: 507848

Follow Up By: Member - Justin O (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 11:50

Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 11:50
Hey Bob, mine don't have white lettering :( Cheers
FollowupID: 785138

Sponsored Links