Warning - Sandy Cape WA - Asbestos everywhere

Submitted: Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 16:08
ThreadID: 101373 Views:7060 Replies:10 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
We spent last weekend at Sandy Cape - my first visit - and was shocked to find exposed and broken asbestos in the camping area within meters of where I was told to camp - discovered after spending the night.

There are asbestos warning signs on entry, but surely the camping areas should be clean? I have now learnt that this problem has been reported before -
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-13/jurien-bay-asbestos-camping-fears/3886200.

In addition to the asbestos in the camp area I saw 2 other instances of large amounts of exposed asbestos on my walks. I would not be visiting again - why chance mesothelioma?

I emailed the Shire of Dandaragan and they haven't even bothered to reply. One would have hoped for a higher duty of care.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mark C - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 16:18

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 16:18
You should join Henny Penny and rush off to tell the king, yes the sky is falling in.

Cheers
AnswerID: 507809

Reply By: Member - J&R - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 16:18

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 16:18
But there are warning signs on entry. Why did you continue?
Surely you should have enquired further when you saw the signs?

Don't you have yourself to blame?
AnswerID: 507810

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 16:30

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 16:30
As those who had the holiday shacks there were responsible for removing all materials from the site when the squat camp was closed down, this will now never be rectified by those responsible.

I was not aware of the asbestos remnants, and am not qualified to make comment on the risk, but making waves now will most likely close the camp down rather than having it truly cleansed.

How long ago did you email the Shire? You may have put 'a cat amongst the pigeons' so they would be taking car on how to reply.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 507812

Follow Up By: Anthonyp0808 - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 16:49

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 16:49
I mailed them as soon as I returned home a week ago with telephone contact details and photos.

The objective is not to get the site closed down, just that they do a proper clean-up.

The asbestos was right in the main camping area, 3 meters from my set-up.

Any regular inspection of the area would have found this, as with some of the larger piles of asbestos I saw too.

Wouldn't it be best to re-habitate the area properly - there must be some "Royality for Regions" money for that.

FollowupID: 785097

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 22:50

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 22:50
My point was that they may take the cheaper option when confronted with a complaint. Royalties for Regions might work - did you suggest that in your email? Councils sometimes take weeks to reply - to ensure that someone with the right authority in that area can answer.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 785122

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 17:06

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 17:06
Bonded Asbestos which is what you have described, poses very little risk to the general public unless it is disturbed.
Even broken sheets will pose minimal risk unless of course you are the one breaking the sheets or are in the vicinity of the sheets when they are being broken.

You can eat Asbestos if you wish as it causes no harm unless you inhale it into your lungs ;)

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 507817

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 17:50

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 17:50
Real men crush it and use it instead of salt on their snags....even though most health authorities warn that any contact ie, breathing, eating or skin contact is hazardous. Most health authorities are a bunch of pussies though. A quick google about eating asbestos will point the pussies out. :-)
FollowupID: 785105

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 22:05

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 22:05
Kev I hear the same histeria at work when people see asbestos, or what the think is asbestos. People forget that most of the boundary fences around their properties is asbestos. Agree that asbestos can be eaten, tastes crap though.

Notwithstanding I am very suprised that the camping area is being permitted to be used as no doubt it is now a registered contaminated site.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 785119

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 22:48

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 22:48
Don't try eating it :O - a horrible disease

Peritoneal Mesothelioma

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 785121

Follow Up By: Member - Bentaxle - Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 20:12

Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 20:12
Kev, there are two kinds of asbestos, Blue & White. Blue asbestos was mined at Wittnoom and, consists of fine in some cases almost invisible particles in make up easier ti inhale and is responsible for the health problems. While White asbestos is much coarser and harder to inhale. BTW Blue asbestos is quite prevalent in some of the Karajini Gorges.
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 785179

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 20:31

Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 20:31
Actually there is 6 types of Asbestos ;)

But only 3 main ones used in Aust.

Chrysotile (White) -This is the most commonly used form of asbestos and can be found today in roofs, ceilings, walls and floors of homes and businesses. Chrysotile asbestos also was used in automobile brake linings, pipe insulation, gaskets and boiler seals.

Amosite - This is known as brown asbestos, and it originates mostly in Africa. It was used most frequently in cement sheet and pipe insulation. It can be found in insulating board (which contained up to 40 percent asbestos), ceiling tiles and in thermal insulation products. Like the other forms of amphibole asbestos, it has needle-like fibers.

Crocidolite - This is blue asbestos and its known for having the best heat resistance. Mined mostly in South Africa, Bolivia and Australia, this is seen as the most dangerous type of asbestos. Crocidolite was commonly used to insulate steam engines, and it was found in some spray-on coatings, pipe insulation and cement products.

The others are

Tremolite which can be white, green, gray and even transparent.

Anthophyllite which is a gray-brown colour

Actinolite is most often found in metamorphic rock is is mainly a contaminant to the othe forms of Asbestos and was not used commercially.

Having being trained in Asbestos removal, and now working for Local Government in QLD I get public enquiries nearly every week, most people blow everything out of the water in 90% of the cases I see. It is the untrained and unsupervised Asbestos removal that causes all the issues. Keep suspect material wet and do not disturb.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 785185

Reply By: get outmore - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 17:17

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 17:17
Be carefull round there asbestos is the least of your worries!. Theres also snakes. Ticks and in summer high levels of uv might cause skin cancer. You might drown in the sea or fall off the the rocks.
Yea don't risk it
AnswerID: 507820

Follow Up By: Member -Dodger - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 17:48

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 17:48
and space junk may fall on you as well.

Danger Will Robinson Danger Danger Danger...........
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 785104

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 20:48

Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 20:48
You obviously have no idea of the dangers posed so why bother commenting.
FollowupID: 785190

Follow Up By: get outmore - Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 21:59

Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 21:59
Because I obviously have a better idea than you. I lived for years surrounded by an asbestos fence.
There wouldnt be a person here that hasnt regularly lived and or worked alongside asbestos.
Asbestos lying in the sand poses no hazard
FollowupID: 785203

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 21:30

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 21:30
another nice and quite spot to put on my list, yes i have had beers at Doc's in Wittenoom and camped up the gorge, now closed, sorry but i still dont think they got it right, it is NOT the raw product, it is something else and very well covered up with legal crud, i have relations that lived in Wittenoom and they are fine, they still dig out tons of the stuff at every IRON ORE mine up there and are they carkin it ... nup, just another "Monsanto" as far as i see ...............
Our beds are still burnin and our insulation is still killing people but it dont have a single trace of "asbestos" in it, just had an idiot running the show for a bit ... sadly
:-)
AnswerID: 507826

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Sunday, Mar 31, 2013 at 11:55

Sunday, Mar 31, 2013 at 11:55
Yes Mesothelioma and asbestos risk is just a big beatup. Unless of course you are one of the more than 5,000+ Australians who die from it each decade, or you are one of the 5,000 who are expected to contract it in the next decade, or you know someone who has it, or someone who died on the operating table in a desperate attempt to ward off the inevitable - as a result of years of contact with fibro left lying around the yard for decades.
FollowupID: 785219

Follow Up By: Rockape - Sunday, Mar 31, 2013 at 13:39

Sunday, Mar 31, 2013 at 13:39
Joe,
when my dad was about 80 the doc said to him did you work with asbestos at all. The old man replied, yes during the war on ships. Doc said don't be alarmed by what I am going to tell you because you will be long gone before this will kill you but you have asbestosis.

There you go. Good for 50 odd years and bang it shows up. Guess many of those people shouldn't feel so smug about handling it.

We would strike actinolite when mining underground and the area would be barricaded and wet down until a sample was tested to see whether if it was the fibrous type or not. They took it very seriously.
FollowupID: 785236

Follow Up By: get outmore - Sunday, Mar 31, 2013 at 14:52

Sunday, Mar 31, 2013 at 14:52
Theres no doubt working with asbestos especially in an environment that creates asbestos dust is a massive risk factor. But just being in the vacinity of inert asbestos poses little to no danger. If it did every single one of us would die of asbestosis
FollowupID: 785239

Follow Up By: Rockape - Sunday, Mar 31, 2013 at 15:56

Sunday, Mar 31, 2013 at 15:56
Yep,
Joe mentioned digging out tonnes of it during mining, that would be a hugh risk and won't show up for years. They would need some very stringent controls in place if this is happening.
FollowupID: 785245

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 20:33

Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 20:33
Another thing to consider is a large majority of Public buildings built pre 1985 have Asbestos in them, Hospitals, Schools etc so if maintained and not distrubed it is a safe product.

Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 507882

Reply By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Sunday, Mar 31, 2013 at 13:07

Sunday, Mar 31, 2013 at 13:07
We use Sandy Cape a fair bit for our getaways. I have to be honest and say I’ve never noticed the asbestos warnings. (and before someone jumps on me, I am not being sarcastic). It is a great spot.
I’d just like to throw my two penneth into the conversation. Obviously make the signs bigger!!! LOL After that all should be good. We all cherish our freedom of choice. With a lot of things in life there is an element of risk, or danger to health. Smoking and drinking come to mind, parachuting, using a dangerous power tool. I’d like to think we have the right to choose. I’d hate to think that such a beautiful spot could be closed down just because one person jumps up and down hard enough. Someone in a position of knowledge has obviously deemed that the risk from the asbestos at Sandy Cape is minimal, and consider it safe. Obviously people sometimes get risk assessment wrong, but at least they’ve tried. So, if you are offered a cigarette or a drink then don’t accept it if you don’t like the risks. If you come to a camp that warns of a possible health risk and you don’t like the possible ramifications, then don’t go in. Leave the next guy to make his own choice.
AnswerID: 507913

Reply By: Member - daz (SA) - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 20:46

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 20:46
There is exposed asbestos every where you go.

Walk down any street in established Perth suburbs & my bet is at least 30 percent of fences are fibro cement ( deep six ) sheeting. No one seems to be concerned.
The risk in blue asbestos is in the dust ( fibres).
I sleep under a deep six fibro cement roof on my house, & drink the rainwater off the roof. Too many get carried away about the hype.
Daz
AnswerID: 507978

Reply By: Anthonyp0808 - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 12:58

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 12:58
Update FYI

I received an acknowledgement from the Shire to my email yesterday.

I sent them Google Earth coordinates of where the asbestos was and receive today this message, so something positive.

"I got out there yesterday afternoon and confirmed fibro fragments at the positions you indicated. Today I’ll get a contractor to do a clean-up at each site and also get some earth fill there to reduce further erosion."
AnswerID: 508085

Sponsored Links