camping at eungella west of Mackay Qld.

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 31, 2013 at 16:31
ThreadID: 101395 Views:3247 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone recent experience of camping (we pull a 1.5 tonne Innovan camper-trailer behind a 2007 Prado) at Eungella up the range west of Mackay. we would like some walks and see if we can spy a platypus or two.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rockape - Sunday, Mar 31, 2013 at 17:20

Sunday, Mar 31, 2013 at 17:20
Paul,
You have a couple of choices.

If you go about 1/2 to 1 K through the little village on the Eungella dam road you come to Diggings Road on your right. If you follow that it comes to a camping area on Broken River. It is a great place to camp and walk the river. You can actually cross the river and follow the road to more spots but I don't know how cut up the bank is on the far side. No permits required.

It may pay to drop the trailer near the Kindy or SES which is next to the playing field off North street. Then drive Diggings Road as I haven't been on it for a while. It sometimes is not maintained that well.

Another place would be Eungella dam or Eungella van park.

Have even seen Platypus in Broken River in the middle of the day a couple of times.
AnswerID: 507922

Follow Up By: Rockape - Sunday, Mar 31, 2013 at 17:54

Sunday, Mar 31, 2013 at 17:54
Paul,
here is a photo of the crossing of the Broken River on Diggings Road.

Water is normally pretty shallow.

Another good drive is to captains crossing. Just ask for directions at the Pinnacle pub when you are having one of their great pies.
FollowupID: 785254

Reply By: Neilsk - Sunday, Mar 31, 2013 at 17:23

Sunday, Mar 31, 2013 at 17:23
Eungella is a beautiful place. The range is quite steep and i imagine it would be a slow climb. There is heaps of platypus to see at Broken river just minutes from the top of the climb. heaps of walking tracks at Eungella. But before you make your way up the hill have a look at a finch hatton gorge at the bottom. its just as good as Eungella.

I recommend the chalet to have a beverage and a meal at was quite good last time i was there.

http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/great-walks-mackay-highlands/pdf/mackay-highlands-map.pdf

http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/eungella/index.html
AnswerID: 507923

Reply By: Member - Paul F (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 08:37

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 08:37
Thank you for your responses guys - this was very helpful

Paul F
AnswerID: 508003

Reply By: Aussi Traveller - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 09:49

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 09:49
I recommend Wazza's Platypus bush camp near Finch Hatten Gorge, you can swim there spot a platypus or two and there is a great walk up the gorge just a few km away, ring in advance and Wazzza will make the larger camp spot available for your camper.

$10 per person per night and well worth it, we went for one night and stayed 4, I even offered to buy the place off him.
AnswerID: 508006

Follow Up By: Member - Paul F (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 14:44

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 14:44
Thanks Aussie Traveller

This is very helpful - I'll ring Wazza in the next few days. We're off from Brisbane around the 16th and checking out Wreck Rock north of Bundy before travelling up to the Mackay region.

Cheers

Paul F
FollowupID: 785399

Sponsored Links