Coffee at roadhouses

Submitted: Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 09:55
ThreadID: 101404 Views:4456 Replies:17 FollowUps:61
This Thread has been Archived
Got stitched up nicely yesterday at the Widgiemooltha Roadhouse, between Coolgardie & Norseman yesterday. Having spent a couple of very nice quite days camped at a nice waterhole west of Widgie, we thought a nice espresso would be nice on our way home, there being a sign indicating cappuccinos available.

$19.60 got 2 flat whites and two magnum ice creams. 10k's up the track, the ice creams are gone and greatly enjoyed but the first taste of the coffee indicated we had paid $5.40 each for instant.

Now they're in strife. "We will never stop there again, let alone buy anything. Ever." declared the missus!

Why is it sooooooo hard to get a decent coffee on the road?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: get outmore - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 09:59

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 09:59
Widgie used to be our local roadhouse its always been expensive.
OPerating off of a genie wouldnt help
AnswerID: 507947

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 10:39

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 10:39
Yep accept all that. Generating your own power would be uber expensive in their situation. It wasn't so much the price I objected to but the flagrant misrepresentation of the product.
FollowupID: 785284

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 00:20

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 00:20
fuel for that purpose is subsidised by the government isnt it?
FollowupID: 785655

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 00:34

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 00:34
Not at all - the diesel fuel rebate doesn't apply to it as our anti global warming govt wants to discourage the use of diesel for power generation in favour of "renewables" so as a consequence it's full price diesel used.
FollowupID: 785661

Reply By: Member - Terry W4 - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 10:05

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 10:05
My wife agrees and is now keeping a jounal rating all the good spots when we travel. Only dowen South Coast of NSW so far.
AnswerID: 507949

Reply By: The Bantam - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 10:07

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 10:07
I'm not a coffee drinker but the wife is, so the price people will pay for a coffee I find extraordinary.

With butane stoves so cheap & easy, you can get a little stove top perculator for about $20, and a battery powered milk frother from ikea for $2.

Then you can have your choice of good coffee, any place any time..for very little.

cheers
AnswerID: 507950

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 12:26

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 12:26
We do carry a plunger (there are really good unbreakable stainless steel ones at Target at the moment for only about $35) and make our own usually but thought we'd support the little bloke out there in the middle of nowhere providing a service to the travelling public and advertising espresso coffees.

If the machine was broken we'd have understood, but to hand over a grossly substandard product as if it were the real thing and charge the full price is a bit steep I think. Hence the post.
FollowupID: 785298

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 13:30

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 13:30
Again I don't drink coffee.

But one thing I do understand is that making good "proper coffee" is a skilled task.
Even then people will argue black and blue what constitutes a "a good coffee"

Her indoors recons she knows a good coffee when she tastes it.....and that is not all that often.
One of her friends when presented with a coffee, her indoors considers "good", recons its terrible.
A major sticking point in the friendship.

If you have some one who has been braught up on instant coffee and has not bee "properly educated", they may well produce coffees from good equipment & materials that taste weak & insipd....like instant....because that is what tastes right to them....AND their regular customers.

Then......peoples idea of what the coffee names realy mean is up for discussion.

In some...um....."less educated areas"..a flat white will be made on instant....and that is in the city....Thats a white coffee right?

If you think the whole coffee thing is bad......see what you get when you ask for an "iced chocolate"

One well known chain of "Coffee shops" served me an ice chocolate that was not even cold and had no icecream in it.

Another major fast food chain thinks an iced chocolate has ice cubes in it....choclate milk with icecubes.

The only reliable way to get a "decent coffee", is to go somewhere you know makes one the way you like it....or to make it yourself.

cheers
FollowupID: 785306

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 10:42

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 10:42
Gday Paul,
Just playing the devils advocate here........But did anyone contact the roadhouse to see if there wasnt a mistake made?
AnswerID: 507951

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 12:20

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 12:20
Mistake? We were the only customers. The question was 2 large flat whites please. What came back were two large white instant coffees. No hint of froth, no creamy texture, certainly no taste of ground coffee beans. Can't see how there could have been a mistake.
FollowupID: 785296

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 12:32

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 12:32
I wouldnt have a clue what a flat white was? Maybe the person in the roadhouse didnt either?........may have been new to the coffee making scene..........grabbed the wrong coffees.......pressed the wrong button on the machine???? Who knows.
Maybe just a mistake.
FollowupID: 785300

Follow Up By: cobber - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 00:14

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 00:14
Don't respond Paul B, I think Hairy (NT) is a troll trying to get a bite out of you they have them in all forum's
FollowupID: 785360

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 11:58

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 11:58
Hey cobber Hairy has been on this forum longer than you have been at school.

FollowupID: 785383

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 13:24

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 13:24
Trolling?
Someone gets on a public forum and names and bags a buisness without giving them a chance to rectify the problem is ok and politely suggesting there could have been a mistake is trolling?
Whos doing the trolling?
FollowupID: 785391

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 10:59

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 10:59
Sometimes it is an advantage drinking tea not coffee. Ha

Phil
AnswerID: 507952

Follow Up By: Lyn W3 - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 12:29

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 12:29
Phil,

The problem with drinking tea is you really need rainwater or the tea tastes like dog's piss.
FollowupID: 785299

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 13:19

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 13:19
Lyn Don't appreciate the choice of words there.

But you are almost right. And that's why a lot of wont offer tea. They either do not know how, are ignorant (Maccas) or don't have good water. It doesn't have to be rain water though.

So we drink milk, soft drink or make our own. Easy.

Phil
FollowupID: 785305

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 13:34

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 13:34
"And that's why a lot of wont offer tea. They either do not know how, are ignorant (Maccas) or don't have good water"

OR....have decided its easier to take it off the menu than deal with the constant wingeing form people who's tea doesnt taste exactly the same as the one they made at home.....LOL
FollowupID: 785308

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 14:09

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 14:09
Very true Hairy.

We learnt decades ago that you will never get a cuppa "on the road" as good as the one you make at home. We take a 20 litre bottle of water from home that is reserved just for tea when we are away.

I will drink "roadhouse" tea. The last one we had at Yunta was excellent, and we said so to the staff. You have to take what you get when on the road. It's the same with all cafe style food. Same with the shower. Need I say more.

Phil
FollowupID: 785310

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 18:33

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 18:33
Never tried that Lyn! So it's difficult to compare! :)) Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 785333

Reply By: Member - Wamuranman - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 12:08

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 12:08
The problem we have at most places is they don't understand what "hot" means. We do not like luke warm hot drinks. We like them hot. For this reason we generally brew our own.

AnswerID: 507955

Reply By: Lyn W3 - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 12:26

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 12:26
Geez.............that's about $20.00/l and people complain about the price of Petrol at $1.80/l.
AnswerID: 507956

Reply By: Ross M - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 12:54

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 12:54
You got two coffees and two icecreams, while dear it can't be classed as being "stitched up", hardly.

The government should pass a decree that a quality coffee shop is located at regular intervals along all roads.
The coffee would be supplied by the state and highly regulated in texture and taste so absolutely no one is ever slightly inconvenienced or left with a taste they didn't expect.

Left in the hands of the unregulated masses, the delivery of the essential "coffee" may vary far too much for some to handle.

The early explorers probably wouldn't complain though.

I'm sure Len Beadell would have a clarifying comment to say about this serious situation.

Ross M
AnswerID: 507960

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 13:11

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 13:11
Maybe do the same as alcohol and tax the crap out of it and only sell it as licenced outlets. Then all licencees would have to be baristas and no one would have to go through the stress of drinking a less than perfect coffee! LOL
FollowupID: 785304

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 14:48

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 14:48
Well I'll be stuffed! There was I thinking that if you ordered and paid for something you were entitled to get it, not something else you didn't want or could have done better yourself. Apparently not in the world of Ross M.
FollowupID: 785312

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 15:22

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 15:22
Paul I reckon youre right mate, one expects that the guy behind the counter understands that a cappucino come not out of a instant coffee jar.

Its pretty simply hairy
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 785315

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 15:37

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 15:37
Yeah maybe......but he ordered coffee and got a coffee didnt he? Just not to his standard..........A bit like ordering a can of bourbon and coke and being given bourbon and cola.......not as good in my eyes but if thats all they had it will do.
My Mrs asked me if Id like a cappucino this morning.......Ive just found out it was an instant one!!!!! Should have guessed though as I knew we dont own a coffee machine and shes no barista.....LOL

I would have thought if your that fussy about your coffee and you werent in a coffee shop the smart thing to do would be ask them what they can make first........not grab it on the run, open it half an hour later and then name and shame on a public forum?

Would you get your injector pump serviced at the black stump wreckers just because they have a sign up saying they do mechanical repairs?????
Its pretty simple Bonz.
FollowupID: 785318

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 15:40

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 15:40
Very simple Hairy, youre lucky you didnt wear the coffee mate!
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 785319

Follow Up By: Rockape - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 16:33

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 16:33
Hairy,
This is for mumsie. Winton cappucino recipe, cira 1990's.

Ingredients. Longlife milk.
Instant coffee. Whatever you have on hand will do.
Cocoa. Said to be good for blood pressure.

Tools. Milk shake machine.
Pot aluminium or steel.
Stove. Wood/gas or electric.

Instructions. Heat milk in pot till bloody hot but not scalded.
Froth in milk shake machine.
Add to cup with coffee and stir.
Sprinkle cocoa on top and serve.

Satisfaction. If you don't like it you can get one in the Isa or
Longreach.

FollowupID: 785320

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 16:50

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 16:50
That would keep most people happy I would have thought?

Not any more though!
FollowupID: 785322

Reply By: Big A - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 15:05

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 15:05
Just to be clear on what a "flat white", I resorted to Wikipedia:

A flat white is a coffee beverage developed in Australia and New Zealand in the 1980s. It is prepared by pouring microfoam (steamed milk from the bottom of a pitcher) over a single or double shot of ristretto espresso. It is similar to the latte and the café au lait although smaller in volume, having a higher proportion of coffee to milk, and more velvety in consistency.

Description

The beverage is typically served in a small 150–160 millilitre ceramic cup. Microfoam is used, and loosely frothed milk from the top of the steaming vessel is typically discarded or held back in the vessel while the creamy milk from the bottom of the vessel is folded into the coffee, resulting in a smooth and velvety texture. A flat white almost always incorporates latte art, at least if prepared by a properly trained barista.

According to purists, a flat white has several defining characteristics:

a very thin layer of velvety micro-foam (hence the "flat" in flat white)
medium size (typically the same cup size of a cappuccino, i.e. about 150-180ml or 5-6 oz)
double shot of espresso (usually ristretto), thus creating the rich and intense aroma that distinguishes a flat white from a cappuccino
free poured milk so that the foam is folded through the whole drink and there is no discernable layer separation between liquid coffee and foam

Making a good flat white is difficult, because a properly skilled barista is needed to prepare the espresso base correctly, to steam the milk such that micro-foam is created and to properly fold the milk in with the espresso, thereby creating the thin velvety layer of foam with latte art.

Outside of Australia and New Zealand, if a cafe offers a flat white this is often a sign that this cafe considers itself part of the Third Wave Coffee movement. However, with the flat white becoming increasingly well known to people, especially in cities with a thriving coffee scene (e.g. London, Berlin, San Francisco), many cafes who are not part of the specialty coffee movement and do not put great emphasis on correct preparation of coffee (as is typically the case with Third Wave Coffee cafes) are catching on to the trend and are also offering flat whites. In the UK, even coffee shop chains such as Starbucks, Costa Coffee and Pret a Manger have added flat whites to their menus.

Flat whites are typically prepared using espresso beans with a relatively light roast rather than more traditional dark Italian roasts. This fact, together with proper extraction by a skilled barista and the fact that double shots are typically used, creates the characteristicly rich and intense, though not bitter, aroma of a flat white. This is another reason why flat whites are predominantly found in third wave cafes, since they typically use only lightly roasted beans anyway.

End quote.

Let the buyer beware. How could you expect a "properly skilled barista" to be working at an out of the way roadhouse? You may have been gouged, but it not the end of the world, is it?

Cheers,
"A".
AnswerID: 507965

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 17:10

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 17:10
In the last 10 or so years, every man and his dog has decided that they should be offering "capachio style coffees".

Some will actually get some one trained & if the have the tallent they may be able to produce a "good coffee" from the machine on hand.

BUT
In the last few years, there have been full sized automated commercial coffee machines that require no skill or talent what so ever to produce capachino style coffees.

Any self respectng coffee purist will consider these macines no better than the domestic cartridge machines and tell you thate make "passable coffees" at best.

It must be understood that a "Good Barista" is a rare & talented breed and among the "coffee set" they will have a following.

There are some circles where a "good barista" cand make as much money as a good barister.

OH for goodness sakes ...its only coffee.

cheers

FollowupID: 785325

Follow Up By: Rockape - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 17:37

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 17:37
Big A,
real interpretation is.

Long flat white. Tall white fella run over by roadtrain.
Short black. Black fella to smart to be run over by roadtrain. Stood
sideways.
long black. Not so smart short black.

Cappuccino. Pretend godfather.

Latte. Real godfather.

Politics are not my strong point

FollowupID: 785327

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 18:38

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 18:38
ROTFLMAO!!!!
FollowupID: 785335

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 11:54

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 11:54
Hey Rockape that just made my day.
FollowupID: 785382

Follow Up By: Member - Gaz@Gove (NT) - Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 21:37

Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 21:37
It's not Friday yet, but bloody well done.
Mmmmmmmm, now where do we go next?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 785632

Reply By: Member - Bentaxle - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 16:05

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 16:05
Paul, did you see any sign of or hear an espresso machine being used? If not then very hard to make espresso.
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 507970

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 17:47

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 17:47
Although I consider myself to be a coffee aficionado, enjoying good coffee in its various prescriptions, I can still enjoy an instant coffee when out bush. There are a couple of instant coffee blends that are reasonable although the motel International Roast is not one of them!! Instant does not pass as espresso but it will do when I am roughing it. So will tea. Both of them black. Nevertheless it is a delight to reach civilisation and a genuine espresso. I would never, never ever, obtain coffee from a roadhouse.

EXCEPTION: On a trip in the Nullabor, a companion promoted the cappuccino from the Balladonia Roadhouse. He came in for a lot of ribbing until we reached the roadhouse and was forced to 'put-up or shut-up'. Well he was right. I have quaffed coffee from some respectable baristi, even in Italy, but that Balladonia cappuccino was as good as any of them. Dunno how or why, but it was.

So Paul, for a real cappuccino, it's Balladonia mate. And you can witness it being created on a real espresso machine.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 507972

Follow Up By: Rockape - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 18:39

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 18:39
Alan,
International roast was designed as a bearing lubricant and should never be ingested.
FollowupID: 785336

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 18:40

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 18:40
Alan, That International Roast is actually crushed and processed ants. Is made exclusively by the Uzbekistan Government. Its the flagship of their economy! :)) Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

FollowupID: 785337

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 18:45

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 18:45
Rockape, Bearing lubricant?? More like poor-quality grinding paste!!!

Michael, if Uzbekistan can get the rest of the world to drink it, they will become the conquerers!!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 785338

Reply By: Member - Jack - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 21:17

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 21:17
If you think that is crook, avoid any coffee anywhere on the Stuart Highway. All the road houses there have installed these infernal DIY machines that, at best , give you a poly cup of warm, watery milk.
Quite the worst coffee I have ever tasted anywhere at any time. But the salesman who did the Highway and offloaded all these machines must be laughing all the way to the bank.
After that trip, a glass of warm dog's piss would have been welcomed as a better alternative.
Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 507979

Follow Up By: Big A - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 11:07

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 11:07
Yep, roadhouse at the Moranbah turnoff has one of those. Lined up at the counter, asked for a long black. Took my $5, gave gold coin change and told me to go to the machine in the corner and make it myself. $4 for a big cup of shite. If that coffee was free, it would still be too dear! (As a coach driver, I should have got it free, but I didn't have many passengers to spend up there, so I did not ask.)

"A".
FollowupID: 785377

Follow Up By: Rockape - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 11:32

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 11:32
Big A,
pull up at the Nebo Caltex instead of the "Moronbah" turnoff. They have a proper machine.
FollowupID: 785379

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 13:18

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 13:18
Gday Jack,
Ill think you'll find that's sales"woman" actually, and If I'm right, a good friend of mine. And if they are the same machines as she took to the last bike run.........everybody raved about the coffee? Yes....what would 150 Harley riding uncouthed slobs from the bush know about coffee, and when you wake up with the zackleys anything tastes good I suppose....But if you don't mind Ill cut and paste your comment and send it on to her and see if they are her machines.
I'm sure she would like to know if the general consensus is they are crap.
Personally......I like the old saying
If you like our service tell others.....If you don't tell US.
FollowupID: 785390

Follow Up By: Big A - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 14:54

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 14:54
Copy that, Rockape. Fortunately, we don't go the long way round often - only when the Dawson River is over, cutting the road between Blackwater and Rockhampton.

(And I did not miss the "o" in that town's name!)

Stay safe,
"A".
FollowupID: 785402

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 16:36

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 16:36
Hi Hairy

The machines were signposted as "Rio". You order a coffee and they give you a token and you make it yourself. No way you can get a 'double shot' to give it a boost. Just insipid hot milk with a 'suggestion' of coffee flavouring. At one place we bought coffee and my wife got out our 'day pack' and added instant coffee. But we wanted a nice brewed coffee.

After two failed 'Rio' coffees we decided to cut our losses and stick to instant. The end result was that we would now only stop for fuel at Roadhouses along the highway, knowing that their coffee is so crook.

Take care.
Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 785413

Reply By: sam h6 - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 21:37

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 21:37
Haha loving this debate! Well I do like a coffee or three a day and yes I like it just right too. Trouble is everyone's idea of just right is different. The solution I have adopted for this situation is to dedicate a small place in our van to the lovely new map coffee pod machine. Perfect coffee just the way I like it. Cost approximately $1 per coffee only inconvenience is, if we have no power we have to fire the generator up to run it.
I must say though for those who don't like coffee you will never understand how good and bad coffee can taste if made right or wrong.
Also took a little convincing the "better" half that I was serious when suggesting it was coming with us!!!
She doesn't like coffee!!!
AnswerID: 507981

Follow Up By: Member - Gaz@Gove (NT) - Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 22:09

Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 22:09
Hehe, remember way way back when companies first supplied coffee? 30+ years ago when I first started shift work boiling water to keep "Everybodies beer cold" the coffee supplied by the company was International Roast, and eventually everyone started bringing in their own "Nescafé Blend 43"or similar blends to work.
About 15 years or so ago the coffee supplied by the company changed to "Nescafé Blend 43" and gee wizz, after a while we all slowly started bringing in our own blends of "Maconna".
Isn't it sad?
Now, we have a $2000 coffee machine that grinds the beans that the company supplies, and and and we still bring our own beans to work, although at almost $40 a bag.
That is really sad.
But I love a cuppa tea when campin' made from the best water in Oz, Gove water. :)
Mmmmmmmm, now where do we go next?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 785638

Reply By: 08crd - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 00:10

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 00:10
Widgie's always been a dump since the pub burnt down.
It was the only place worth stopping for, the slimy frogs loved it.lol
AnswerID: 507991

Reply By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 13:30

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 13:30
G'day Paul B,

Probably a good time for me to mention, we sell Nespresso pod coffee at $4.50 a cup.. maybe we're too cheap..lol
We also run Gensets of course.

Cheers
Al
AnswerID: 508015

Follow Up By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 13:32

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 13:32
oh, and of course, you can also get that with cream, rather than milk :-)
FollowupID: 785393

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 09:36

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 09:36
Nice markup seeing each 'pod' cost 68c / 80c ,,,,,,,
FollowupID: 785684

Follow Up By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 12:32

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 12:32
plus the milk/ cream/ sugar/ providing a cup (or would you prefer to use your hands?) the power from the genset to run the bore for the water, the sinking of the bore, the upkeep of the poly that provides the means for water to travel from the bore to the large water tanks then to the kitchen, the upkeep on said gensets, the power to the coffee machine, the coffee machine itself.. the staff to run the coffee machine..
Yeah massive markup.
If you don't want one mate, don't buy one.
FollowupID: 785719

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 13:55

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 13:55
Plus capital cost of the building, furniture, infrastructure, maintenance, cleaning, breakage, spoilage, insurance, staff training, staff superannuation contributions, staff leave allowances........... the list goes on and on.
Some people who have not conducted their own businesses have no idea of the cost of sales. They like to believe that every cent of the purchase price goes straight into the owner's pocket. Ha, I wish.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 785733

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 18:43

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 18:43
No one said that there were not other costs involved in supplying a cup of coffee so get off your high horse , your costs are spread over all things that you sell not just coffee , like the cup of tea where the teabag costs 4/5c that you sell for $4.50 with the same excuses to "justify" the cost.
FollowupID: 785758

Follow Up By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 11:49

Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 11:49
actually we sell tea for alot less than that.
Thats when we sell it at all, often we'll give it away free. Same as instant coffee.
But then, someone like you pops up and makes us wonder why we bother.
FollowupID: 785821

Follow Up By: Member - silvwayne - Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 13:36

Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 13:36
Alloy c/t
Me thinks you are the one on the high horse.

Wayne
FollowupID: 785823

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 10:24

Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 10:24
Al, most of us appreciate the effort you guys put in to be a welcome place in the middle of nowhere ....
FollowupID: 785911

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 10:27

Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 10:27
We sure do Scott. And I'm sure it is not easy!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 785913

Follow Up By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 10:37

Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 10:37
Thanks Scott and Allan.
Feel free to drop in for a cuppa anyday :-)
FollowupID: 785917

Reply By: Member - John G - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 15:53

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 15:53
G'day Paul

The bright side is that you won't get caught like this again. If only all cafe/roadhouse owners were drawn from a pool of coffee lovers!

The cheeky comment is that as good as it is to enjoy a good coffee in the company of friends, it's not the reason we explore oz.

And for those who talk up instant coffee - it's like having to drink West End beer. Something you do when there's absolutely nothing else, and the water in the creek is too muddy to put in your instant tea.

Cheers
John
AnswerID: 508031

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 09:30

Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 09:30
sooks, ya all go away to "get away from it all" and know full well you are not in a city anymore yet still expect the city perks, camping, bush and remote is just that, bare basics .........
Actually i love it, after watching a group of old farts in the $100,000 cruisers at Camerons Corner complaining bitterly about no "cappuccinos" being available, i realized it is what keeps them away from the bush, if all this fancy crap was available out bush just even TRY to picture what idiots we would have driving out here, it is bad enough as it is, i may go add some more salt to the sugar hahahahaha
AnswerID: 508150

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 10:07

Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 10:07
Totally agree Joe.
I love a good coffee from time to time, but not when I am outback. That's where I go to 'get away from it all'. Would not feel
'at one' with the environment whilst sipping on a cappuccino.
And the bitumen is getting very close to Innamincka so the Trading Post will need a bigger espresso machine and adequate Winnebago parking! ARRGH!!!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 785567

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 07:52

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 07:52
Spot on, Joe and Allan! I do wonder sometimes why some people bother to "go bush" when they want to take all the city trappings along too. Nothing wrong with city trappings per se, but they are what makes the city. Outback is different and we prefer it that way.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 785672

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 08:18

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 08:18
Yep. Now, where's my Hair Shirt?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 785673

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 08:52

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 08:52
This little side topic is right up my alley.Spot on.

It's great to "get away". Why take it with you.

I must admit though to taking a razor, a sat phone and a modern porta-loo though. But they never deliver the sunday papers to read when on it. Most uncivilised.

Phil
FollowupID: 785675

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 09:06

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 09:06
Very good!

I was wondering when someone would state the obvious, We are always get people asking for Cappuccinos etc...

My response is usually that I'll give them a straw if they want to blow bubbles in their coffee.

I've looked at those automatic coffee machines, but I'd rather offer no coffee than bad coffee!

I love a "Good" coffee as much as anyone, but the world wont end if I don't get one!

FollowupID: 785677

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 09:35

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 09:35
Jeff's coffee is also quite economical but at $4.50 a straw it is too damned expensive for me!

Phil
FollowupID: 785683

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 09:50

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 09:50
Sooks for wanting a decent cup of Coffee when out of the city ?? So pray tell us how you lot are 'roughing it' in your 4x4 with fridge in the back and your 12v camp lighting ,glind hot water under the bonnet , sat phone and epirb , 12v air compressor, ,,, roughing it ?? A decent cup of coffee just the next progression of civilisations reach......
FollowupID: 785687

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 10:04

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 10:04
> fridge is an ESSENTIAL safety issue..... warm beer is NOT acceptable... EVER OK !!!!
> Lighting ???? never run the risk of breaking a bottle of wine, without lights you could "possibly" spill your beer or wine ... another safety issue ..
> hot water .... agreed, dont need it here..
> Sat phone/epirb ....... smartest $1000 i have ever spent, if you DONT have one and can afford one, more fool you ...safety issue ...
> 12v Air Compressor ..... tryed the 240v but the extention cords would not reach 395klms and were going to cost me $7,900 so went the 12v unit ... (you mean to say ya dont carry one ???) ... safety issue ....

..... still sooks ......
:-)
FollowupID: 785689

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 10:07

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 10:07
Sat phone - Doctors requirement.

The rest Gee it's tough!! Luckily we drink tea.

Phil
FollowupID: 785690

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 11:02

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 11:02
And for some a good 'coffee' is just as an important requirement as cold beer or a decent cup of tea is to you lot calling those that want coffee 'SOOKS" ,,,,
FollowupID: 785705

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 22:45

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 22:45
i hope the fish bite as well ....
Truth is I LOVE and NEED a good coffee when cruising around, I would prefer it with cream and cool NOT hot, I live with heat and like my coffee cool, most that travel live in the cold and like it hot, really hot and why not, so would i !!!!!!
But I do like a nice cold beer if camping up for more than an over night stay, coffee is for the wake up call, maybe one or 5 before lunch and then have a few beers into the arvo and night ... hey that's what camping is all about ....
Still "sooks"
.... just remember you saved, planned, packed up and hit the road to "get away" from it all, habits are hard to break eh :-)
Cheers
FollowupID: 785778

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 07:43

Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 07:43
I like this thread. A good bit of lighthearted banter.

I like my cuppa also. And we have our two fridges, lots of music and a comfortable big double sized bed.

But I just wonder where all the "things we like" end. Electric blankets? I don't know. Wouldn't my parents have a chuckle. We were lucky if we had a mattress!

It's all fun.

Boy! Am I in a good mood today.

Try this for a happy way to wake up: hGoos Morning Starshine. The elders from the "Hair" and flower power and love years should remember it.

Lets hope the Parramatta eels are because my wife and I are going to watch. But we may have a picnic on the beach on the way with a cuppa!!!

Phil

FollowupID: 785797

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 10:00

Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 10:00
Ahhhh, Phil.
You made my day with that song. And now Roz is wafting around the house singing it!
They sure don't write songs like they used to. Can't understand the lyrics today.
Have a great day Phil, and everyone.
We are going out for coffee with good friends.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 785808

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 10:19

Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 10:19
FollowupID: 785811

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 23:39

Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 23:39
The coffee at the Marulan roadhouse was fine for highway stuff and to top the day off; THE PARRAMATTA EELS BEAT THE CRONULLA SHARKS. At long last we got a win.

Phil
FollowupID: 785880

Sponsored Links