Campsite security in Tibooburra

Submitted: Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 13:14
ThreadID: 101407 Views:3574 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hey Guys
We are heading off next week for 2 weeks camping/touring through western NSW. Got all the camping locked in for most of our stops, thanks to this forum, but still have one nagging question in my mind. I like the look of Dead Horse Gully free camp at Tibooburra and we will be staying there for 3-4 days and doing the usual day trips out to Cameron Cnr, Milparinka etc. Having 3 young children and all the "stuff" that they bring, how safe is it to leave your tent and other equipment like bedding or cooking gear rtc at camp whilst out for the day? Has anyone had any bad experience or is it generally quite safe. There is the option of the CP in town but prefer to free camp away from others so the kids can be kids without disturbing others. Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks

Graeme
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Yesdear000 - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 15:27

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 15:27
Hi Graeme ,
Ive been to Tibooburra a couple of times in the last few years , its a lovely place ,
Plenty to see and do , Pooles family hotel is a great place to freshen up after a long day Security has never been an issue and would not hesitate to use the DeadHorse free camp , the CP in town is not somewhere i would like to stay , its very small and cramped
But does have hot showers , water and power , one thing is if your going to Cameron Corner make sure you have a sand flag as the road to there is across dunes and the traffic coming in the opposite direction doesn't seem to think anyone else will be useing it , i nearly had a major accident last year when a 4wd coming in the opposite direction thought that the middle of the road was his , it was sheer luck we weren't killed , heres a tip when cresting the top of a dune stay as far left as possible and go SLOW ,having said that i would go again tomorrow , fabulous place , loved every minute , I'm a bit jealous !!!
Regards
Gary,
AnswerID: 507968

Follow Up By: allein m - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 17:35

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 17:35
yes lots of accidents out that way I live in north Broken Hill and the RFDS has to fly over our way to Tibooburra we often hear them at night as they are the only ones allowed to fly at night from the local airport safety security is good out this way you can go into town and here in Broken Hill people leave lots of expensive gear in the back of utes but there is always a outsider who do not have the same morals as locals so if you have any thing expensive make it as secure as possible and out of sight. we had a tourist admitted to the Broken Hill hospital intensive care unit she was just found guilty of stealing the credit card of a person visiting the person in the next bed so we are not immune to that sort of thing (what I am trying to say is do not let the remote serenity and peace of the place fool you )
enjoy your trip if you end up in Broken Hill let me know we could meet for coffee
FollowupID: 785326

Follow Up By: Pathycop - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 23:57

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 23:57
Thanks Yesdear. I did have my doubt about the CP. Not found much good news about that one on any forum.. Hadn't considered a sand flag for this trip but maybe better safe than sorry.

Thanks Allein for your input too. I think I will just have to be careful what I choose to leave at camp for the day trips. Don't really want to pack everything back into the car for a trip to the Corner.
We will be passing through Broken Hill and staying at Silverton on this trip at Penrose Park as suggested by many on this forum in the past so hopefully that's a good decision.

thanks again

Graeme
FollowupID: 785357

Follow Up By: allein m - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 11:42

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 11:42
sounds like a good plan there is a tourist mine half way between town and siilverton worth a visit give the kids a idea on what a hard life at work some had yrs back sadly times are changing and in this economic times some people see a opportunity to make a quick $ now the big drought has changed and stock in the padlocks have increased stock theft is on the up many of the remote properties around here are finding this enjoy your trip
FollowupID: 785380

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 17:31

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 17:31
Hi Graeme,

We stayed three or four nights in our caravan at the dead Horse Gully campground last winter and there were no security issues. Used it as a base and visited Cameron corner and other places nearby. It is managed by National Parks so there is a small camping fee which can be paid at the entrance to the camp ground. There are gas BBQs and long drop toilets, also non potable water I think, and fires are prohibited.
There was also a Telstra phone signal which I found very handy.
regards,
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 507971

Reply By: Pathycop - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 23:45

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 23:45
Hi. Thanks for taking the time to give me some help and advice. So much for me assuming Dead Horse Gully was a free camp! Thanks for that heads up. I think leaving your tent and other gear out in remote areas is always going to be a little concerning, but having searched both this forum plus many others I have found very little evidence of camping equipment going missing so maybe I am being over cautious, comes with my job! Thanks also for the great suggestions on safety whilst driving and some of the great places to see. Can't wait to get out there with the kids and start and make some memories.
AnswerID: 507986

Reply By: bockstar1 - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 13:58

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 13:58
Stayed at Dead Horse a couple of years ago. Lovely spot. Sorry can't comment on security. We travelled to CC via the northern track in Sturt NP. Through the beautiful jump-up country. A better option than the more direct route, diagonally over the park.
AnswerID: 508020

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 14:27

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 14:27
Hi Graeme,

We have stayed at Dead Horse Gap a couple of times, just overnighters. Each time it has been quiet but the longest we were away from our camp was for an hour or so while we were out walking. I would suggest though that security while camped is much the same wherever you are - keep your gear out of sight as much as possible and keep anything really valuable with you in your vehicle. In our many years of travelling we have never had anything stolen - most tourists are just like you and in any case wouldn't have the space to carry away other peoples gear.

DHG is a National Parks campground, so not free. The Sturt NP is apparently one of the busiest NPs in NSW and the fee structure reflects that. There are quite good facilities there, as well as a lot to see and do. Im sure you will enjoy it.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 508024

Reply By: Mazdave - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 15:43

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 15:43
Graeme,
If you are going to Camerons Corner, another option is to stay at Olive Downs, which is just on the south side of the Dog fence. It is part of Sturt National Park and has the same facilities as Dead Horse Gully. Drop Dunnies, Gas BBQ and Hot plates and water.
Not so far to drive for your day trip to CC. The times I have stayed overnight at these 2 Campgrounds, there has been very few people. I think one night last June only Heather G at Dead Horse Gully and have never seen another soul at Olive Downs.

AnswerID: 508030

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 16:18

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 16:18
Hullo Pathycop
If you choose to camp at Olive Downs and intend to use the internal park road to go to CC, it may pay to check with the ranger whether it is open. When we were there last August, it was closed due to damage and because funds are short, it may not be fixed yet.
Also note that the track north from Fortville Gate has been degazetted and is now a private station track.
The Mt Wood Station loop is quite interesting, particulalry the souther part, with the Outback Pastoral Museum just off the Wanaaring Road and the old HS.
The Parks Office in Tibooburra has a great exhibit and the staff very helpful.
Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 508033

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 07:56

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 07:56
We have never had any problems with security when camping - in tent or van - in campgrounds and free camps. The only time we have had anything stolen (a pair of new shoes!) was when we were in a coastal caravan park which boasted security gates etc! It seems that a few of the local Yahoos just wandered through at night and helped themselves to portable items not nailed down! We have heard similar stories of large caravan parks elsewhere. Out west we have never even heard talk of thefts from campgrounds while travelling! Just use common sense and relax. Lynne
AnswerID: 508072

Reply By: Pathycop - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 09:47

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 09:47
Hi. Thanks all for the reasurance and the trip advice. We are all looking forward to our first 2 week family adventure through the outback. We leave this Sunday and going by the amount of equipment I seem to "need" I will have to start trying to pack the Pathfinder today to find someway of getting everything in! . This will be our last tent trip before the new caravan arrives in June so will be happy when I can keep everything locked away in something a little more secure. Having said that, we have never had an issue in all our camping trips locally so far so let's hope that continues.
Thanks again and hope to see some of you out on the road

Graeme
AnswerID: 508079

Sponsored Links