Karijini + Alcohol ?

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 01:27
ThreadID: 101421 Views:3223 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
G'day Folks

Well it seems as if the 2013 Easter weekend is finally over, I am hoping the majority of you had a good break and a safe return trip home.

The National road toll for the Easter break at last count was seventeen fatalities, some would consider this as a good result in the numbers game, but 17 families are now missing someone ~ forever.

A very close friend, lost his 29 year old son over the Easter weekend in an off the road motor cycle incident, in sand dunes south of Geraldton WA.

The Pilbara region is slowly draining of visitor numbers as people in their well a kitted out four wheel drives make the 1200 (approx) kilometre journey back to the capital city, I wish them all safe travels.

Sadly one young bloke has made the journey out of the Pilbara in a body bag.

The young man fell to his death at the spectacular Joffre Falls gorge area in Karijini on Easter Saturday, he met his end violently but possibly numbed by the alcohol he had consumed.

There was a post earlier on the Forum (thread ID 101382) asking about "How much Alcohol " would be considered the right amount to take with you on a trip to the outback, I just can't help but wonder if the young blokes companions will reconsider their alcohol quota ~ next time they stock up on the essentials for out back travel ?

Safe travels :

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: get outmore - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 04:52

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 04:52
Easter is always a somber time for us that have been on EO for a while.
One of us lost all his kids about 10 years ago now
AnswerID: 507999

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 12:17

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 12:17
G'day GOM

We don't seem to agree with too much regarding agriculture or modern day mining practices, but in regards to family and the tragic loss of any family member or close friend, certain festive times of the year are simply a reminder of the tragedy.

Safe travels :
FollowupID: 785386

Reply By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 06:45

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 06:45
Hi Joe,

Its always sad when a young person, who hasn't even started living yet, loses their live.

When someone is over 18, I think it always come down to personnel responsibility. Some people learn the hard way and unfortunately he learnt the hardest way of all.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 508000

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 12:26

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 12:26
G'day Wilko

I can't agree with you more on personal responsibility ~ at any age, sadly when there are mates involved in the decision process with possibly ego and alcohol added to the mix, the end result is more often very painful.

Safe travels :
FollowupID: 785387

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 09:02

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 09:02
Good post Joe.

WRT last paragraph; I bet not. And that is the sad part of it.

Phil
AnswerID: 508004

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 12:48

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 12:48
G'day Phil

Sadly for many people who venture into Australia's outback taking copious amounts of grog is deemed to be the right thing to do.

I have over the years had the displeasure of a tag along tour guest making an outright fool of himself, simply by having a few "Shandies" whilst driving in a small group ~ off road, he said he never drinks alcohol (normally) when he is in control of his vehicle, but on this particular occasion he did and proceeded to make an absolute arse of himself, net result was that he bent a rather nice vehicle and copped the wrath of his good lady.

Safe travels :
FollowupID: 785388

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 13:30

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 13:30
These days, with all the publicity around about drink driving and drunkedness or over indulging, it makes one wonder that they have definitely got to have something wrong with them upstairs. And not to the extent of getting off. They must certainly be lacking in self esteem or something that they have to hide in a bottle or "one carton a day" to have such week will power. A mob of pussies who cannot even control themselves as far as I am concerned. At 5 or 10 cents a can I certainly got my fair share in to me in Vietnam. But luckily with a few hints from my mates I woke up to myself before I came home. I wasn't a drunk - I just drank a lot. Exactly as I see people do these days starting at "happy hour".

Speaking from experience on both sides of the keg; It is so easy and damned well rewarding to do the right thing. I don't mean to strut around like a peacock or pansy shouting "I did the right thing". It's an internal well being feeling. Drinking copious cans does not "make the man".

I will get off the soapbox now.

Thanks for the chat.

Phil
FollowupID: 785392

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 14:51

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 14:51
Unfortunately the desire to abuse alcohol is taught to them by their parents, alcohol appears to be worshipped in this country, judging by reading some of the posts on this & other 4WD forums.

FollowupID: 785401

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 15:24

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 15:24
Once was a time when anyone with a skin full would go home and sleep it off. Not they seem to lose all inhibitions and ryun amuck. Maybe it's the top shelf syndrome where they hit the hard stuff to be "big boys".

I don't know. Suffice to say that the image below is how we like it.

Just having a cuppa after dinner in the Simpson Desert.

Phil

FollowupID: 785404

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 17:30

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 17:30
G'day Phil and Andre

I trust you won't mind the single reply to both of your "follow up responses"

I for one do not drink/consume any form of alcohol, so I guess I am a tea totaler and yet I don't drink tea, but I don't mind a nice cup of Robert Timms coffee ~ black no sugar ~ thanks.

I have no axe to grind with anyone who enjoys a frothy beer or glass of fine wine but when the frothy brew pickles the consumers brain and their behaviour changes to the loud mouth bleep stage, they are a lost cause in my reckoning ~ sadly there are examples of this on any day at any camp ground throughout Australia.

Safe travels :
FollowupID: 785421

Sponsored Links