spare battery charging

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 11:53
ThreadID: 101440 Views:1332 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
i will be travelling north later this year and will be taking an off road box trailer, which will have most of our stuff in it. my vehicle is a gu patrol, with 2 x 7 pin flat trailer plugs at the rear. one is standard and for my box trailer, the other is special for my boat trailer which has a sensabrake breakaway unit.

i will also have a spare battery and wonder if i can connect it to my spare 7 pin flat trailer plug to keep the battery charged up from the alternator whilst we are under way.

please advise if this can be done and if so, which of the trailer plug wires to connect to the battery.

thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 12:16

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 12:16
Hi Lambo

I doubt that the wiring is heavy enough and the 7 pin plugs won't carry the load plus with no isolator in the circuit you will fry the wiring the first time you try start the car.

Best to buy a isolator and wiring for the job and use anderson plugs. You could also look at our FLYER pack and simply place it in the car and it will charge while you drive.

Regards

Derek from ABR
AnswerID: 508084

Follow Up By: lambo - Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 08:54

Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 08:54
thanks for that. i also have a connection for a powerwinch 912(which i use to pull my 2.5 tonne boat onto the trailer) wired in and a connector at the rear of the patrol. it has a 60 amp circuit breaker fitted. the 2 wires never get warm when working. would this work to charge the battery ?
cheers
FollowupID: 785559

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 09:19

Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 09:19
Yes perfect but again you need an isolator of some kind to isolate that circuit while cranking the engine.

You can use a simple master switch or a solenoid wired to the accessory circuit.

Regards

Derek
FollowupID: 785562

Sponsored Links