Forester towing 1400Kg. How good?

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 18:05
ThreadID: 101450 Views:1461 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Do any of you tow a 1400 kg or near van or trailer with a Forester XS or XL, and how do you rate the ride quality, for example on 1 corrugations, on 2 rough gravel, on 3 substandard bitumen where the surface undulates, as in black soil country, on 4 good bitumen as freeway and at the speed limit.
I ask the question because my forester X does very well on all but 3 where the excessive vertical movement results in a crook neck for my wife. I am considering replacing rear suspension with XS/XL struts and coils, (self leveling) but would like to know how well it will work before spending $2400. If there is marked improvement, it will be money well spent. I look forward to your comments. Regards to all, marty.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fiona & Paul - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 21:30

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 21:30
Martin

We had a Forester X, manual with low range from new for five years and it was a great vehicle. We went all over with a camper trailer 700kg, the same with a Magnum XC Off Road 900kg and on to a Coromal Compact 1100kg where all worked well until I stopped on a steep slope one day and it was difficult to get started again. When we moved on to a 1450kg Coromal Excel I tossed the Subie and got a Navara DI to cater for the extra weight and haven't looked back.

I looked after the Forester well, didn't push it in the corrugations but it simply didn't have enough grunt and reluctantly I made the choice. Good luck with your decision and if you look back in the archives here I have a few more entries here re the subie.

Regards
Paul H
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 508115

Follow Up By: martin c1 - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 23:17

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 23:17
Thanks Fiona & Paul. Perhaps weight is part of my problem, but I find the 2011 2.5 is up to the job, however have not done any rely steep roads. Your comment is appreciated. regards, marty .
FollowupID: 785538

Sponsored Links