Web access via mobile phone problem

In December I invested in an upgrade from an old Samsung mobile to the Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus unit, in the expectation that I could use that as a platform for connectivity to the web whilst travelling. This would save purchasing a dongle on top of my phone bill.
Initial efforts in trying to create a ‘hotspot’ through my laptop failed, but other phones used were successful, so I took the laptop & phone down to the T shop and they too failed with the ‘hotspot’ (wireless) connection, but achieved a ‘Tethering’ connection via a USB cable. That seemed good enough for me and I checked it a couple of times successfully since. Now comes the BUT.... this week I thought I should get in some practice in preparation for another trip and failed to get a connection a few times.
The upshot of further discussions (there have been many hours previously spent with Samsung & Telstra) the phone is just not capable of producing a regular connection. When pushing the issue about ‘not meeting the claimed capabilities – I.E. ‘not fit for use’ , Samsung say they believe that if it works in their workshop, then it is acceptable – regardless of my circumstances – home in the suburbs or on the road.
I thought I should advise my experiences on for others to ponder. Looks like back to the dongles.
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 19:08

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 19:08
Why not add your gripe to the Telecommunications Ombudsman's list. Can't do any harm and you may not need to cop the Samsung BS.
AnswerID: 508102

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 19:12

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 19:12
Sounds good to me Rosco

Will Google it and have my two bob's worth - thanks

Regards - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 785508

Reply By: get outmore - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 19:35

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 19:35
Whats the problem? Are you not able to see the wifi hotspot with your lappy or will it connect but not get on the net
AnswerID: 508103

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 20:03

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 20:03
Hi Getout
Just lost 15 minutes of response - system 'fell over'.

Trying again

Lappy not seeing the samsung galaxy - but found three others no problem. Only connection is by usb cable - but not stable.
Samsung claim the phone doesn't produce the same signal strenght as an landline connection - relies on towers. My argument is - so does the dongle I get from Telstra and I have no problem with that at home - I use it as a backup when the server falls over.

The dongle has a reduced signal in many outlying towns & I can accept that - but for the phone to have an unstable signal here in suburbia, I despair.

Regards - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 785510

Follow Up By: get outmore - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 22:06

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 22:06
Thought so. . With samsungs you need to get into the hotspot settings and check the make discoverable box . my other motorolla phone you didnt have to
FollowupID: 785528

Reply By: cruza25 - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 20:22

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 20:22
Phil,
I have a cheap galaxy ace and I use the wifi tethering all the time. Works great to my laptop (hp dv6 ) and to my iPad
press as follows
1. Settings then wireless and network more....
2. Tethering and portable hotspot
3. Mobile AP.check the box and a green tick appears
I then get a blue symbol with a swirl in it at the top of screen
Then my iPad and Laptop all see it at upto 3-4 mts away.

Anywhere I get reception I can make it work

Hope this helps,

Cheers mike
AnswerID: 508105

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 21:09

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 21:09
Thanks cruza - you say 'anywhere you can get reception' - I take it that means wherever you get a phone signal, you also get the tethering?

Would you mind sending the settings you have under the appropriate 'tethering' thanks?

Perhaps there is one of the settings at variance that just might do the trick?

Regards - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 785516

Follow Up By: cruza25 - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 21:28

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 21:28
Hi Phil,
There are not really any settings
Network SSID. AndroidAP
Security WPA2 PSK
And then a password which you put in phone and then when you access phone tethering wifi signal from laptop the password is typed in to laptop.
Sorry cant explain any more but there are no other settings.

Get back to me if still not able to do

Cheers mike
FollowupID: 785522

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 21:40

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 21:40
Thanks Mike

I had to follow several sets of instructions to set my system

Currently I have the following settings

I get to Settings
Then Wireles & Network
Then Mobile Network settings
then Access point names

In that option I select 'Telstra Internet'
and I get a series of listings and they are set as:

Name: Telstra Internet APN: telstra.wap Proxy - not set
Port - not set Username - not set Password - not set
Server - not set Music - not set MMS Proxy not set MMS Port not set
Then MCC: 505 Authenification: CHAP APN type - internet
Arethese the same as yours please - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 785525

Follow Up By: cruza25 - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 21:52

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 21:52
Phil.
Edit access point settings
Name Optus Internet
Apn Internet
Proxy not set
Port not set
Username not set
Password not set
Server not set
Mmsc not set
Mms proxy not set
Mms port not set
Mcc 505
Mac 02
Authentic not set
Apn type Internet

Also make sure use packet data green ticked and data roaming green ticked

Hopes this helps
Cheers mike

Do you get the blue thing at the top when tether turned on on phone??
FollowupID: 785526

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 22:45

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 22:45
Thanks again Mike - bit surprised when I note your network is Optus - only because I have always been lead to believe the superior coverage is with Telstra....

Apart from the different service, the only difference I see is the 'Mac 2' and the Authenification type 'not set'.

I seem to be missing the 'blue thing' - I can only see the 3G and the 3 to 4 bars of reception (that varies).

The other thing that is different is when I check my laptop and look at: Connect to - it sees my router connection and a couple of neighbours but not my phone - which has it's own identification and has been seen previously. I can see the 'Sync' setting is lit up and I have the green tick in the tethering. You can actually here the laptop respond when you hit the tethering for the green tick - but still no connection dammit.

I will keep at it when the peak period has gone to see if it comes good.

cheers - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 785533

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 23:07

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 23:07
Mike - I now see a blue usb icon on top line of screen - haven't noticed previously - but still no connection on laptop.

Still researching Getoutmore suggestion - further down (security setting) haven't seen that yet either.
Regards - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 785536

Follow Up By: cruza25 - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 23:11

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 23:11
Phil, if you haven't got the blue thing at the top then your wifi hotspot isn't switched on . This is confirmed by laptop not seeing phones wifi signal? As soon as I get the blue square at the top of phone screen then my laptop and iPad see the signal and will connect.

You need a phone smart teenager with baggy shorts to have a look in your phone settings unless the big Telstra shop can show you it works..

Cheers mike
FollowupID: 785537

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 23:25

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 23:25
Mike you got it in one. My kids are well out of the baggies and raising their own next generation and the neighbourhood hasn't seen a teenie for years. Still working on it and will follow up with a visit to Telstra with our collective findings.

Thanks all for contributions.

Living in hope - yet....

Regards - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 785540

Reply By: Member - kym111 - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 20:50

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 20:50
If you get desperate, I have a Telstra prepaid 3g USB dongle you can have. It has no SIM card, and isn't 4G, but I no longer need it as I'm upgrading to the lastest wifi version. I never had any problems with it, using it in Karratha, Newman and at home in Geraldton. It's about 2 1/2 years old.
Regards
Kym
AnswerID: 508109

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 21:15

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 21:15
Hey Kym - thanks for the generous offer.

I still have my prepaid one that expired last month - I guess that can be updated again by taking out a renwal for 12 months - not sure how it functions - hadn't let it expire before.

Don't chuck it yet mate - might have to get back to you and take up your offer - thanks.

Greatly appreciated

Cheers - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 785518

Follow Up By: stan c - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 21:34

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 21:34
i have a samsung galaxy pocket (the cheapie arround $116) and use it as a wifi modem and it works just fine cheers stan
FollowupID: 785523

Follow Up By: Member - kym111 - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 22:05

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 22:05
No worries, Phil.
I believe once the SIM card has not been used for 12 months, you have to buy a new SIM card. If it's still within that time, you can re-activate it by buying some more credit.
We're packing up house, so I'll keep it out for you. Email me at kym111@bigpond.net.au if you need it.
Good luck! :-)
FollowupID: 785527

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 22:13

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 22:13
For what it is worth, I do a wireless tether of my toshiba laptop to my samsung galaxy 2-4g phone on telstra....works a treat every time. The intial configs were a bit fuzzy for my old scone..a mate did my settings....but just as good as the telstra dongle...and great to use the prev. wasted data.
AnswerID: 508120

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 22:35

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 22:35
Thanks for the feedback Darian - it may help when I confront Telstra - particularly as Mike (above) seems to get a connection - with their opposition too I might add. That should rub them a bit :O)

Cheers - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 785530

Follow Up By: get outmore - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 22:42

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 22:42
Like I said. . Once I unchecked the hide my device box in configuration eith my Samsung. It fixed the issue I had with devices not being able to see the hotspot.
Drove me nuts and whenvi finally found it I didn't know how I missed it
FollowupID: 785531

Follow Up By: get outmore - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 22:45

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 22:45
Below network and above security
FollowupID: 785534

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 22:57

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 22:57
Haven't found that particular setting yet Darian but the 'Tethering and Portable HotSpot' setting has a green tick and says it is 'Tethered'

Frustrating. Will keep searching.

I am encouraged that others are able to get connection and can use that to get Telstra to lift their game hopefully.

Cheers - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 785535

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 23:32

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 23:32
Hi Darian - as a last resort - consulted the book of instructions again & I have picked up on the setting you were at. No problem there - we have been past that hurdle - completed the identification, security settings password - whole damn shooting match - or my son did anyway. Just feeling the frustration of having 'been there' and now 'not getting there'. Will monitor and revisit Telstra with our findings.

Thanks & cheers - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 785541

Reply By: get outmore - Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 05:31

Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 05:31
mate unless im missing something from what your saying ill say it again

from what you post your hotspot is working fine

you get a thing in the top bar saying hotspot is active

from everything you have said your issue is your computer cannot see your mobile hotspot?????
- if ive got that right ??

-your issue is not with telstra
- your issue is not with your internet settings

your issue is completly wholey and soley that your computer cannot see the wireless output from your phone

so either your phone is damaged or far more likely as ive said and keep saying you need to make your phones wireless hotspot public

trust me i recently have been there and done that - took me ages before i found the one setting

my previous phone was a motorolla atrix and i just turned on hotspot - typed in the password and away i went

then i gaot a samsung S3 and nothing could see the hotspot until I made it discoverable
AnswerID: 508137

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 10:13

Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 10:13
Been considering the same issue overnight. The phone says it is tethered and it has the blue usb icon lit up - two indications it should be working - and it has previously - just not now - so one aspect is the signal is just too weak - but I have 4 bars - so that is not likely.

The laptop is just not recognising the connection - therein lies the present problem.

From what I have gleaned from you guys, I am encouraged to continue tackling the problem. Will take it to a guru a couple of doors up from where I work on Fridays - I feel confident he can sort it out. I loathe to ask his support because I didn't purchase it from him, but I need his expertise - bit beyond my limited capacity now.

Thanks again for your encouragement and advice.

Will let you know how I get on eventually.

Happy travelling - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 785568

Follow Up By: us2-outwest - Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 12:36

Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 12:36
Hi Phil n Jill

If i have got this right you are talking tethering ( because you mention the USB icon)......totally different to a wifi hot spot..and also totally different to bluetooth tethering.

my wifes Ace works perfectly as a wifi hot spot......and we live in an area of weak phone signal (Telstra)

Dont have hers in front of me at the moment to check the settings......but just make sure that your have the tethering off if you are setting the wifi hot spot on..........

have never used the tethering always used the wifi hot spot with excellent results.

if you get desperate Pm me and I can talk you through her settings with the phone in front of me..........

Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 785588

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 15:21

Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 15:21
Thanks for your feedback - yes I would love to have your wife's phone settings for comparison.

Sent msge to you outlining the process we have gone through (like giving up on the hotspot and focusing on the tethering when that came good).

Meanwhile I have had a breakthrough just now - I am online thru the phone tethering...... yeeeehaaaa.

I figured if the phone says it is tethered, then the laptop needs a kick in the butt so I had a chat with Dell who are pretty good at support, even on my out of date unit, but think it was too hard for the tech I copped.

I then resorted to creating a new network & lo - after a few futile attempts I seem to have succeeded. Seems a bit surreal because the connection is not showing the same as I had previously - it is now a '3g dial up connection' instead of a 'security network' version. Will see how long it lasts this time!!!! Cheers to all contributors & thanks. Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 785595

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 16:32

Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 16:32
Hi Phil n Jill

Not sure why my previous post came up as "us2-outwest"..maybe something to do with my membership lapsed last night and it reverted to old user name of many years ago!...couldnt renew it on time as we were away and out of internet range...anyway back renewed now

as for the phone settings......on the wifes ACE......Im not sure that this is going to help you because it is so simple and all covered before in other posters comments........and so I question if there is an issue with the handset you have and its wifi signal output if you cant get it to work.

WIRELESS AND NETWORKS .....touch
TETHERING AND PORTABLE HOTSPOTS ...... touch..........leave unticked the USB tethering
MOBILE AP SETTINGS ........touch
CONFIGURE MOBILE AP...... touch
NETWORK SSID....give your handset a name you will recognise as your wireless network
SECURITY...use WPA2PSK
PASSWORD...of your choosing
SAVE......and then tick Mobile AP..this will then turn on the hot spot

PS I note that you now have it tethered with the USB....so perhaps there is no need for you to stress over going wifi ( "if it aint broke dont fix it") as at least with USB tethering you are charging the phone at the same time....and the internet performance will be no worse or better than wifi and may perhaps be slightly more stable on USB if the wifi is weak or interferred with in some way

have fun

cheers
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 785602

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 23:05

Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 23:05
Thanks again bungarra - the joy was short - the tethering fell apart again shortly after my announcement and then had to attend to 'other duties since'.
Have followed your connection process and now have 3 Wi-Fi connections showing in my phone - however all have the same message - ' Not in range - secured with WPA/WPA2 PSK' and that was after taking off the 'tethering'. Frustrating & challenging process. Years of experiences like this have convinced me that just one lousy setting prevents us from achieving the full potential of the products we invest in. I appreciate the feedback - this gives me something to haggle with if I find I have to I consult the tech heads. Will niggle away at it, now that I know others have had succes with this particular product.

All the best - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 785644

Sponsored Links