Powering accessories from recreational batteries

When it comes to auto-electrics I'll never win any awards. No idea would be closer to the mark. So last week I had a problem. And I need help. Please.

I have two 100ah rec batteries (in parallel) and charge them through a 240w solar panel (PWM controller). I wanted to see how long it would take to charge my Nexus pad from them. They were connected to the solar at the time. I attached a "cigarette plug" via alligator clips to one battery and plugged in the twin plug/twin USB adaptor I usually use in the front plug (main battery). It works fine off the main battery charging our phones and pads (not all at the same time).

Luckily I didn't plug my pad in, as the adaptor started smoking and now is out of action. What will I need to power my 12v accessories from the rec batteries? What went wrong?

Sorry for the novel, hope someone can help.

Cheers,

Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 21:11

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 21:11
Silly question mate, but did you connect the alligator clips to the correct terminals, and not in reverse polarity?

If so, I can suggest only that the adaptor unit was dodgy. As for a replacement, how would something similar to that which you just smoked go?
AnswerID: 508112

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 21:16

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 21:16
Hi Mark. You didn't by chance have the alligator clips reversed by mistake? Or could the Cig plug wiring be reversed where it is joined into it. Otherwise would the battery voltage have been too high, possibly the PWM putting in too much voltage. Other than that, a faulty adaptor. Regards,Bob
AnswerID: 508113

Reply By: TrevorDavid - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 21:22

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 21:22
Silkwood, are you sure the alligator clips were + to + , - to - ??????

regards

TDB
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 508114

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 22:20

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 22:20
Three in a row, must be something in it! Yes, I had the clips on the correct polarity, but I have yet to check the connector is wired correctly. It was given to me by a friend who is a bigger electrical noob than myself!

I'll check in the morning. Thanks all.

Cheers,
Mark
FollowupID: 785529

Sponsored Links