Fastening canopy to tray

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 21:27
ThreadID: 101483 Views:10286 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all. I recently purchased a second hand canopy for my old hilux. The canopy came with a limited amount of hardware to attach it to the ute tray. Included were some plastic blocks with steel threaded hooks to clamp the canopy to the ute. What I am missing are 4 steel things (I know, I have a way with words) that bolt to the inside of the tray itself so that the threaded hooks can hook onto them and clamp the canopy firmly to the tray.
Does anyone have any idea where I can buy these sort of things?. Do I need to go to a canopy specific store or are there other options that I can look at. I live in Perth.

Thanks alot

Grant
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Luckyphil wa - Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 00:06

Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 00:06
Hey Grant I'm on my second canopy on my hilux ute,the first one was the heaviest at 600 kg pus the extras ,total weight over a tonne.the one I got now is a lot lighter but my fixing method is the same.3 high tensile bolts down each side with some good sized washers either side of the bolts fixed to the ribs in the tray.I've driven to Tasmania from WA up to Qld and back to Perth like that without any prob,I'm back living in Lancelin now still got the canopy on and down sandy tracks on to the beach every day thereabouts it's all good.The main issue with a canopy is how the weight affects performance especially off road and around bends on the bitumen at speed.i have beefed up the springs and shockers a while ago now which is the go but without the canopy on the back it's a rough ride.hope this helps ,regards Phil
AnswerID: 508131

Follow Up By: grunta1970 - Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 00:31

Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 00:31
Hey Phil, thanks for the info. Good thing for me the canopy is very light. Your idea to bolt it down sounds good, only problem I think is that I would have problems drilling through the inner edge of the canopy as it has an angled metal edge which butts up hard to the canopy . I'm sure it would be a pain in the butt drilling it accurately . In saying that, you have given me an idea which should work, so thanks for that.

Grant
FollowupID: 785544

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 10:03

Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 10:03
hi grunta1970
are you sure that you need anything else
you may find that the threaded hooks just "hook" under the tie down rail along the side of the tray
this is how our stock crate is held on the cruiser at the farm.
if you want something in the floor of the tray just get some eye bolts from bunnings
cheers
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 508151

Sponsored Links