Dual Battery - What size?

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 22:14
ThreadID: 101485 Views:2128 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all.

I am about to get a 2nd battery installed. I have a current model Dmax. The battery will be in the tray, and used to mainly power our 47litre Engel and possibly some camp lighting. I will be using a Redarc voltage sensitive relay, Mainly used for touring and weekend camping purposes with 1 or 2 nights in any particular spot before moving onto the next.

I was thinking 100amp lead acid battery. Alternator has an output of 90 amp. However I am getting varying advice on battery size, with some auto sparkeys saying only 80amp battery whilst others saying up to 130amp. I am not currently using solar for top up ( maybe later). I have already tried to read what's available on this site. Don't want to risk a fridge of warm beer/ G &T or food,

Over to the forum, and thank you kindly in advance.

Cheers

Top End Az.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 23:29

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 23:29
Az,
There are a number of factors that determine the appropriate battery size for your needs and a number of considerations for charging the battery.

The best thing you can do before a variety of proposals are offered to you is to read John & Val's blog, Electricity for Camping. Click here.
Then if you have further specific questions, ask them here.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 508126

Reply By: bluefella - Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 07:01

Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 07:01
If it's in the tray away from engine heat, I would use a Century AGM 100 a/h. deep cycle.
AnswerID: 508141

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 07:33

Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 07:33
You don't mention how the battery will be contained in the tray of your vehicle, but have you considered an "all-in-one" solution?

Derek (Business Member on this site) has an intelligent Sidewinder Flyer to suit this purpose which comes with its own built-in Isolator to protect the starting battery and includes all cabling, fuse, connectors, etc.

All you need is an accessory bracket and a battery of your choice.
I would suggest a 100Ah AGM battery would suffice for up to two nights, but would suggest you include a low voltage cutout device if the fridge doesn't have one.
For any period longer, the inclusion of solar panel support would extend the time period between charges.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 508143

Reply By: Corrugate75 - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 07:31

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 07:31
G'Day,
There are always lots of opinions on this one - we run the same battery as the car starting battery (N70ZZ) as this way the second battery can be used to start the car if there is a faliure of the first battery. We use a 47L Fridge and have had no problems when camping, BUT, we usually go for an couple hour drive every other day to see the scenery around where we are camped - which recharges both batteries. I also have 120Watts of solar plugged into the campertrailer batteries, but the solar pannel can be used to supplement the car batteries if we're not going for a drive.
Cheers
Corrugate
AnswerID: 508237

Reply By: robert s4 - Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 02:27

Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 02:27
if you can fit a marine battery its worth looking at i have 80 litre engle 100a/h marine pro 3 years old and 120 watt panel for back up usally use 3 lights beers r cold and freeze the meat if u have to
AnswerID: 508906

Sponsored Links