Imported Landcruiser

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 08:23
ThreadID: 10151 Views:3462 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
hi all

Just wondering if any1 out there has looked at or has a imported landcruiser?
if they have faults like the surf did, what parts are like to get, manuals for working on them are they the same as aussie version, any comments very welcome.

thanks Neil GONE WOOP-WOOP
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 08:30

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 08:30
hi Neil,
have heard that insurance can be an issue, ring nrma or similar and check 1st, you may get a nasty shock....
AnswerID: 44928

Reply By: Diesel1 - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 08:42

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 08:42
G'day Neil,

I heard of a bloke up here in the Top End buying one (private sale - original owner had imported the vehicle) and when it came to a rego roadworthy check he couldn't get anybody to look at it. He had to put it over the pits with MVR who knocked it back because of various non - compliance to ADR's. It cost him a fortune to bring it up to compliance.

Diesel1
AnswerID: 44931

Reply By: Member - Neil (N.S.W.) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 08:53

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 08:53
thanks for those two comments hadnt even thought it may be a prob GONE WOOP-WOOP
AnswerID: 44934

Follow Up By: Member - Eric- Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 09:11

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 09:11
You may want to speak to a memeber here ( BEN ). He purchased one and has been trying to sell it got the past year . Since the vehicle didnt have a compliance plate , nobody wants it now , There are many difrent components on these vehicles . Many people that own them will swear there the best thing since sliced bread , I think otherwise. As stated above , insurance is a issue . So will say it isnt , but that only because they didnt mention to the insurance company that it was a import , if you insure it under the thought that it is a aussie delivery , then good luck if you have a accident .

Are you looking at something here registered , or looking at bringing in something under the 15 year rule ??Venus Bay
FollowupID: 307085

Follow Up By: Member - Neil (N.S.W.) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 09:35

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 09:35
Eric,

I was lookin at a purchase from an importer (car yard) in syd.
I just rang nrma and asked for an est on a imported landcruiser they didnt have a prob with it being an import. GONE WOOP-WOOP
FollowupID: 307090

Follow Up By: Member - Eric- Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 10:24

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 10:24
what year model are you talking about ?Venus Bay
FollowupID: 307097

Follow Up By: Member - Neil (N.S.W.) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 11:13

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 11:13
eric,
there a 1988 model GONE WOOP-WOOP
FollowupID: 307105

Follow Up By: Member - Eric- Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 00:05

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 00:05
If your talking about a 1988 d=model .. then dont be to fussed about it been a import , I asumed you were talking about a 98 onwards . Insurance is the same and apart from been 24 volt , not many problems at all . You will find most come with Bullbar winch and little stove in the back . They cost around 6 to 7 k to the importer , and most of them try and retail them for around 10 k Venus Bay
FollowupID: 307153

Reply By: Member - Peter- Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 10:09

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 10:09
I gather you are talking about a pre 1988 60 series and it has been imported under the 15 year rule?
If so they are pretty much the same as aussie delivery vehicle of the same vintage, trim and some of the chrome bits are different, many have PTO winches. The biggest difference is that they are 24v electrics which apart from sourcing things like starters and alternators isn't a problem. 24v systems are usually more reliable than 12v, current flows are halved and there is less wear and tear on switch contacts in general.
As far as fitting 12v accessories that is no problem if you fit a REDARC Charge Isolator. This little box sits across both batteries constantly floating them at the same charge level. This allows you to drain 12v from one or either battery without damage to either battery. I have had one fitted to my 24v Humvee for over 18 months with absolutely no problems. I'm running a Barrett HF, 2 x Cb's, stereo, GPS, laptop and frig on 12v with no probs.
Fit 24v globes to any campers, trailers etc and you'll have no probs.

AnswerID: 44940

Follow Up By: Member - Neil (N.S.W.) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 11:21

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 11:21
peter,
with the 24-12 inverter can this unit run any amount of amps or can u get different size inverters to run high amp draw from several aplications similar to what u run.
GONE WOOP-WOOP
FollowupID: 307106

Follow Up By: Tuco69 - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 16:59

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 16:59
"Fit 24v globes to any campers, trailers etc and you'll have no probs."

Simply replacing the 12V globes with 24V items is an easy fix for a trailer that will only ever be connected to a 24V vehicle.

We specified the new LED tail lights fitted to our new camper during construction. They operate 8V to 28V and mean that the camper can be connected to either a 12V or 24V vehicle without changing anything.

Hella Part No.2379 - DuraLed Combi - Stop/Tail/Indicator Lamp - LED Multivolt.

also Hella Part No.2559 LED Multivolt Licence Plate Lamp.

and Hella Part No.2053 LED Side Marker Red / Amber Multivolt

If you have a trailer that may be 'borrowed' by other family members with 12V vehicles , the LED's seem to answer the problem.

Have a look at the online catalogue at:
http://www.hella.com.au/

Tuco in Cairns
FollowupID: 307125

Follow Up By: Member - Peter- Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 18:54

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 18:54
I did think of fitting the LED lights until I found out how much they cost.
As the camper is only towed with the Humvee (24v) it has 24v globes and I have two sets of globes for the box trailer which are swapped as required. It rarely gets behind the Humvee as it is only a light duty 7x4 and even with a spring over conversion it is still too low to hook onto the rear chassis rail of the Humvee.
Neil that is the beauty of the charge equaliser it doesn't carry the current to the accessory it merely sits across the two 12v batteries keeping them at the same charge level. There are no losses as in a step down transformer or inverter. They do come in different current handling rates, I have a 20 amp unit which has a peak load of 200 amps which is more than adequate.
They are australian made and the website is www.redarc.com.au
FollowupID: 307133

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 15:59

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 15:59
Neil
In NZ the cruisers would run at 75% used import and 25% new
When they enter NZ they are checked for compliance and if they pass they can then be registered. That is a permanant record
As a rule the imports are better equiped than the new to NZ
I not sure where your cruiser are assembled but in NZ all the trucks new or used are built in Japan.
The major parts are all the same and so are most of the smaller items, and if you work from the genuine w/s manuals they cover all the variants
I currently own 3 80# and have owned many others all used imports and have not had any problems with any of them even after 300,000 ks
Hope this is of some help
Ray
AnswerID: 44976

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 21:46

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 21:46
Yep, I had a drive of one of these vehicles it was a 89 model VX Landcruiser which even had seat heaters, PTO which (dozer blade), Turbo diesel and auto - hope the manual goes better as this was pretty slow - my Surf would kill it, though I have the same motor as the Prado - Oh yeh - some of the earlier Surfs may have had problems though I can tell you from my trips in a 97 model it has been 100% reliable except for a leaking rear axle seal - don't bag all Surfs. Anyway you may find speedo wind back in imports. From people I have spoken to in the past about imports and so a good impoter would be SVI imports - do a search for them as they will import you one and will garantee no wind back and you can request them to search for a vehicle with the options you want and the right colour. Go have a drive of one at the car yards first then go import one thru SVI. I would go another import - except the cruiser I found was a bit outdated and slow compared to what I have now.Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
AnswerID: 45100

Sponsored Links