Mobile water supplies - pics

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 20:41
ThreadID: 101511 Views:2490 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I got tired of hauling 20lt water bottles in & out of the back of the wagon on a daily basis as we traversed the outback. So started the necessity of invention. I had seen some gravity fed back door options, that seemed frustrating and the tank needed to be situated high inside to get a reasonable flow. Then the tank had to be easily refillable. So here we are . . . all bases covered.

Back seats have been removed and our fridge is strapped down to a level sheet of 10mm ply the width of the wagon and the ply bolted down to the seat anchor bolts. At the rear doors of the wagon a set of roll out draws was fitted a while back. I made a cargo barrier which is bolted down to the front edge of the draws and secured firmly at the top.

I chose a verticale 50lt poly tank that has cut away (moulded) lower corners that allow for the rear wheel arches. The fridge needs air circulation all round so it was moved slightly further forward enough to allow the standing of the 90mm thick tank. The low cut-away section also gave space to fit an inline pump at the lowest point.

The tank can be fitted with outlet and filler cap either side. I chose the LHS as the tap outlet is fitted on the first opening door at the rear which gives immediate access to fresh water. The filler cap is easily accessed to fill from a hose. I carry a 2mt tap hose for this and usually collect potable water at servos.

The tank is secured upright by a strap back to the bottom edge of the cargo barrier. I use some insulation (windscreen shade) to reflect any heat from the fridge casing. The inline pump is wired back to a switch near the wagons rear door. The hose is 12.7mm white food safe water hose ($4.50/mt.) The hose/wiring passes back along the cavity beside the roll out draws. All angles and connectors & tap are plastic and secured with stainless hose clamps ($2.70ea).

I chose an illuminated switch ($2.99) to alert attention to when the pump is switched on. I picked up a live 12v connection from a previously fitted power outlet.

The pump is an inline TMC 12v, 18 lt/min, & completely sealed ($39.95) NOTE: it is not self priming / cannot run dry / and should be installed vertically. However I have not had any problem with it horizontal . . . I figured, it being at the lowest point, don't pump tank completely dry, and the head is only 40mm when tank is almost empty was worth the risk/cost factor. Make sure the pump + all fittings at this point are very secure (no vibrations) and no leaks.

Most components were purchased from the local Whitworths Marine & they do sell online.
They have a great free mailed catalogue also.

Here are the pics with notes attached. Click pic to enlarge:

I sometimes question my sanity . . . . and then it answers back.
Carpe diem

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 5 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 05:49

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 05:49
Thats a great setup, well done.
AnswerID: 508229

Reply By: Corrugate75 - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 06:57

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 06:57
Excellent description and photos. Thank you for the hints/tips.
Cheers
Corrugate
AnswerID: 508233

Reply By: Rockape - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 07:28

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 07:28
Good one. I see you choose to buy a quality fridge as well.
AnswerID: 508235

Sponsored Links