Self inflating mattress - suitable glue

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 21:02
ThreadID: 101512 Views:1548 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Have a Coleman SIM on which part of one side seam has let go. Am after suggestions for a suitable glue. The surfaces to be glued are really smooth and shiny and so far both Shoe Goo and Quickgrip have failed miserably.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 21:43

Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 21:43
MM,

I presume it's vinyl. Maybe vinyl pool liner glue from Clark Rubber or similar might be worth a go.

Clean the failed stuff off first.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 508200

Reply By: The Bantam - Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 23:52

Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 23:52
Hardly surprising that you have had problems with standard solvent based rubber glues.

If you want to make an inteligent selection of glues, you need to have an idea of what plastic you are dealing with.

If it is PVC, something MEK bassed may do the job.

Another option is good quality cyanocarilate ( superglue)...by good quality I don't mean anything you will buy in a supermarket......look for someone selling 3 differnt grades and an accelerator......thin or medium would do the job and you wont need the accelerator.
Serious craft, woodworking, radio control, shops or engineering suppliers may have the good stuff....it wont be cheap.

If the plastic is from the nylon family of plastics.....good luck.

It may be worth finding out if someone can heat weld it for you...no doubt that is how it was made.

cheers
AnswerID: 508216

Sponsored Links