Dual Cab Ute Dust Problems

Submitted: Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 00:23
ThreadID: 101516 Views:5815 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
I have a Navara Dual Cab ute that fills with dust I go bush. I am sure there are members with a similar problem who might have figured out a way to stop (don't think so!)
or at least minimise the amount that enters.
I have a Carry Boy canopy fitted and they advised to leave the front sliding window approx 100mm open, does not seem to work for me.
I have also approached Clark Rubber as I believed they had a kit that could be fitted to the tailgate to reduce dust invasion but the stores I spoke to in Vic were not aware of it.

Can get anyone with experience in this matter to let me know how next to proceed apart from getting a wagon.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Injected - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 04:50

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 04:50
Graeme
I had a D40 Navara with the same issue. I had to leave my canopy front window open as well. I also pop rivited two strips of aluminum flat bar up the insides of the tub near where the tailgate meets. I then put two strips of adhesive back foam on the ally strips. This sealed the sides of the tailgate, and then used a piece of foam to fill in the bottom gap of the tailgate and cut the foam to go around the hinges.
I hope this helps
Regards.
AnswerID: 508228

Reply By: Notso - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 08:14

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 08:14
I know Mitsubishi have a dust seal kit for the Triton. Have you approached Nissan?

You can buy the generic dust seal rubber from Clark, maybe you could make up your own seals?
AnswerID: 508242

Reply By: wato35 - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 09:38

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 09:38
I have a Hilux and I had a vent inserted into the roof of the canopy.
I got it from a 4 x 4 shop, cost about $85 fitted (if I remember correctly).
The vent faces forward and forces air into the back at force, which stops dust coming in through the tailgate etc.
Yes, you will get some dust from oncoming traffic, but it is minimal.

Wato
AnswerID: 508256

Reply By: Member - willawa - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 22:12

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 22:12
Hi Graeme

I have a Colorado dual cab with a ARB canopy, with side & rear lift up windows.
I fitted a vent to the top of the canopy at the rear facing forward. on dusty roads I open the vent ,this causes a vacuum that stops most of the dust entering . add to this I have fitted foam rubber pipe tubing, cut so it laps each side if the tailgate lip on the bottom and sides resulting in minimal dust penetration.
Even worked with bull dust and passing road trains.
cheers
Ed

AnswerID: 508299

Follow Up By: Dingojim - Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 05:48

Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 05:48
Get a real vehicle you guys. For a lot of years I ran Series Landrovers and never had a dust problem. Don't know if living in the wet tropics had anything to do with it.
FollowupID: 785795

Follow Up By: Rockape - Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 07:20

Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 07:20
Must have cost a fortune to have that water truck wetting down the road in front of you when you were having the landrover towed to it's destination.
FollowupID: 785796

Follow Up By: Dingojim - Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 07:59

Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 07:59
Onya Rockape. Towie had discount coupons for bulk buyers.
FollowupID: 785798

Follow Up By: Phillipn - Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 21:19

Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 21:19
I had two forward facing vents installed on the front of the canopy,one on each side, this creates a positive air pressure inside the canopy.[ Not a vacuum as you stated] This helps stop the ingress of dust around the tail gate. Works good.

FollowupID: 785974

Reply By: AGNI4x4 - Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 08:41

Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 08:41
I have a D40 with a hard cover and had the same problem. Simply purchased some foam with self adhesive and filled the gaps between tailgate and body and not a prob since (4 years ago) If you close tailgate and look down you can see that especially at the bottom there is probably a half inch gap (yeah I'm old not mm) Did around the sides also which made the tailgate also a nice tight close. As said no prob since doing so and one does only have to look at the huge gaps to see why the dust is a prob.
Cheers
AnswerID: 508317

Reply By: Member - silvwayne - Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 09:07

Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 09:07
I installed 2 of these.https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=156&item=92551&intAbsolutePage=1, Cheap and very effective.

Wayne
AnswerID: 508319

Reply By: evaredy - Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 12:03

Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 12:03
I have a Dmax with Alpha canopy and was told the same thing about opening the window.It still gets dust in the tray and like a lot of others, there are huge gaps around the tailgate.
I went to Clark Rubber a couple of days ago and the guy knew exactly what I was after. He came out to the ute and measured the tailgate, went inside and cut me a length of sticky backed foam strip. It's 12mm thick and slightly softer, he had a harder one there but said the softer one is the way to go, because it will form around things better when the tailgate is closed.

I'm not sure if all utes are the same, but when I was talking to the guy that fitted my canopy, he pointed out two small holes that are on the back of the tray below the back window. He said he used to get complaints from people saying that the canopy leaked, but it was water coming in through these two small holes.

Once I have done the tailgate, I will see how it goes with just opening the rear window. If I still have dust problems then a vent will be the next thing.
AnswerID: 508322

Sponsored Links