Reversing camera

Submitted: Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 12:07
ThreadID: 101522 Views:2404 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I bought one of those reversing cameras which ya plug in to your tail light.

I got the wireless one and had hoped to link it to my VMS 500S unit which has a camera input.

Before I did this I thought I would do a bit of a test.

I wired up the wireless unit (receiver and transmitter) to a couple of 12v plugs.

I then connected the plugs to a 12v power pack.

I verified 12v was coming out of connections as my connections to the plug was a bit rough (no solder).

Both the transmitter and receiver lights came on.

I then connected the VMS 500S up but no picture shown.

Issues could be the VMS or the camera was not working due to my bodgy connections.

So I did another test where I just linked the camera directly to the VMS unit and also supplied alternative power supplies but no picture again.

It could be the VMS unit is not compatible with the camera but I am not sure.

When I start this up I would have thought I saw something in the camera to say it is working.

Does anyone have any clues?

Thanks in advance,

Rich
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 13:23

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 13:23
Both the VMS and the camera should have leaflet data or label stating if NTSC or PAL video receiving or transmitting. If they are not the same. No can see.

This compatibility is essential for the unit to work. Has to be same same.

AnswerID: 508276

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 14:37

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 14:37
Our VMS box can accept video on three inputs. Aux, video in and a reversing camera video input on the rear of the box. I believe all three are PAL but have never had to configure it. But the reversing camera was supplied as part of the VMS install. We got it from BDL car Sterio. Maybe ask them for advice. Or go to the supplier whome you got the VMS from.

The rear camera is connected at the rear of the box which is installed in the dash. We recently got a windscreen video camera and that is connected through the Aux cables. Three cables with Red, White and Yellow RCA connectors. Our JVC camcorder also works fine with the aux input.

I have never used the video in mainly because I do not have the cable. But heaps of the other types as they usually come with the JVC camcorder and the video recorders and with the TV.

Try the AUX input. Our VMS came with RCA cable ready to plug the DTE side from the camera into it.

I would guess that you may have a PAL/NTSC issue as posted by the prvious poster.

Phil
AnswerID: 508278

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 15:04

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 15:04
May be PAL,NTSC issue.

It is not clear in dock on site where I bought it (EBAY).

It states
TV system: NTSC (PAL version should be required)

Not sure what that means?

Rich
FollowupID: 785740

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 15:09

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 15:09
The 500S display is NTSC I believe. I had assumed NTSC camera based on above.

Rich
FollowupID: 785741

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 15:40

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 15:40
Sorry cannot help you. Our VMS is installed in the dash and uses a compatable adaptor cable loom to connect it to the car's entertainment bus.

You are correct though. The camera input on the VMS 500 is NTSC. Is the camera NTSC?

I cannot see why it won't work. From what I have read you got an NTSC output camera and should be using the 2.5mm video in cable to the 500S.You are using the 2.5mm. I wonder if the camera cable is in the audio out socket. That one is 3.5mm and the video in is 2.5mm

Which cable are you using?

FollowupID: 785745

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 16:01

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 16:01
PJR,
I am using the 2.5mm video in cable. I think it came with the VMS unit.
I am having a brake. I thought I would do some soldering but have just made a bit of a mess of it being the worlds worst solderer :)

I wanted to make sure it all worked before trying on the car.

The 12vplugs I am using may be causing problems as well.

In my testing I thought I saw a glimor of something then it went back to the normal display.

As I am trying with it powered on all the time I would expect the camera display should be seen.

Another possibility is that the VMS does not accept the camera. They do state they will guarantee other camera will work, cant see why but ya never know.

I did not want to but anther monitor if I could help it.

Thanks all,
Rich
FollowupID: 785749

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 16:44

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 16:44
I was toying with all the possibilities. In the end I just went back to the bloke who sold me the VMS and he solved the issue for me. Mind you he sold us an inexpensive camera to boot that did work.

Phil
FollowupID: 785752

Reply By: Member - J&R - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 17:36

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 17:36
PAL is industry standard in Australia
AnswerID: 508289

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 20:31

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 20:31
Yes but this setup is Ntsc

After stuffing around I tried it again not using the wireless components then it worked for awhile Ghent stopped then worked again

So I tried the wireless set up again but no joy

I then went back to the setup that had worked and now it does not work

Next step is the bin waisted to much time on it , only cost $35 I can spend my time doing something less frustrating

Rich
FollowupID: 785764

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 20:31

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 20:31
Yes but this setup is Ntsc

After stuffing around I tried it again not using the wireless components then it worked for awhile Ghent stopped then worked again

So I tried the wireless set up again but no joy

I then went back to the setup that had worked and now it does not work

Next step is the bin waisted to much time on it , only cost $35 I can spend my time doing something less frustrating

Rich
FollowupID: 785765

Sponsored Links