Flood Heights

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 12:27
ThreadID: 10154 Views:1498 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Morning everyone. Monkira at 7:30 a.m. still 4.1m (that's one week at this height so far). Durrie 11ft 8 ins and Roseberth 16 ft 2 ins, Birdsville now recording at the bridge at 2.5 m. Once Roseberth hits 15 ft the water spills out from the river south through the flats and floods across the Nine Mile (that's 9 miles east of Birdsville on the Windorah road) For those of you who have been here that's about where that collection of sandhills starts and you know you're nearly into town. At this stage we can drive out to the last sandhill and watch the water creep across the flats. The supply truck forsook his big night out at Mungerannie last night and arrived here about 9:00 a.m. and quickest unload I've seen for a while (considering last night at Happy Hour was one of the best we've had for a while also!) Temperature in mid-30's and plenty of dark clouds. Too much water now for the fish. We could see them crossing the old causeway yesterday but secret weapon didn't work.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 12:57

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 12:57
Hi Ruth
Same story when I go fishing - too much water!!

Was wondering if it is possible for you to guess how long the roads and stuff might be impassible for people wanting to head your way.

Andrew2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
AnswerID: 44954

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 13:15

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 13:15
Morn'n Ruth. Thanks for the update. Glad to hear HO was a good night, I would expect nothing less from good bushies & I bet there was plenty to talk about. Everybody got a clear head this morning ??

I'm trying to look into the crystal ball here to keep an eye on SD trip starting at easter. Two questions you may be able to answer that would help, firstly, given that these current waters pass through - what is the impact likely to be from say NSW border across the SD as regards accesability & for how long. Secondly, the catchment area being W/SW Qld, how long does it take for the waters to reach your area & how much rain is needed to travel the distance. It is obvious that if it falls in your area it has an immediate effect, but I'm just wondering about the far away falls.

Who is the controlling authority (closing, opening) for the local roads / tracks, is it the SA parks. ?

Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 44955

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)