Advice about a new caravan

Hello

We are setting off in September for a 4 month trip and after a few previous posts and hiring a camper trailer and an expanda recently, have finally narrowed our accommodation options down to either a jayco starcraft with 3 bunks for the children, or an expanda. Any thoughts on which one could suit us better?

We felt the camper trailer was too much setting up and down for a one or two night stay. Enjoyed the van. Think it's a winner!

We are heading west and then north, when we hit darwin we will decide whether we keep going over to queensland or take it a bit slower and head home (Adelaide).

Thanks again for all previous advice, it has really been appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bluefella - Monday, Apr 08, 2013 at 07:15

Monday, Apr 08, 2013 at 07:15
My vote would be the StarCraft. Less set up time, nothing to get wet before pack up time.
AnswerID: 508456

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Monday, Apr 08, 2013 at 08:35

Monday, Apr 08, 2013 at 08:35
I would have to agree, the Expanda's are good but I am in a Park at the moment and just watching people set up and pull down ,it still takes quite a bit of time. Bob
FollowupID: 786001

Reply By: Member - There Yet - Monday, Apr 08, 2013 at 09:10

Monday, Apr 08, 2013 at 09:10
Hi TraceyM,

I have and expanda and last year travelled around oz for three months. Pack up/set up did not really take all that long, the only extra from any other van would be having to pack up and remake the bed ends after a days travel. This would only take and extra 5 to 10 minutes.

Have just recently been away with my sister who has a starcraft and 3 kids. After having a look at our van she was envious of the extra space and lounge/table area that the family would be able to sit around.

So I guess it comes down to what you would really like.

Cheers and have a great holiday. It's fantastic out there.

Kerry

AnswerID: 508460

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Monday, Apr 08, 2013 at 11:10

Monday, Apr 08, 2013 at 11:10
Have you looked at a Windsor Rapid? We had one for around 4 years when the G/Kids used to come with us and found it great. Set up or take down time was minimal and from memory (what there is left of it) the Cook used to leave the bed made up.
This bit is nothing to do with campers/Jaycos but if you've got steel wheels, have them checked for running true and get them balanced or better still replaced.
Our new in 2011 Goldstream has steel wheels and the bad vibrations from these being buckled from new, has resulted in pelmets falling off, head protector over door falling off, drawers opening, info plate on chassis disappearing and we feel may have caused damage to the frame as well.
The tyre industry people I've asked say they don't normally balance wheels/tyres on vans as any shaking cannot be felt in the towing vehicle but they are fully aware of badly buckled wheels being imported.
Bugger the damage going on behind you .......
AlanH.
FollowupID: 786016

Sponsored Links