Looking for an EASY 4x4 holiday

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 11:15
ThreadID: 101591 Views:2196 Replies:6 FollowUps:25
This Thread has been Archived
We have recently purchased our first camper trailer and will be towing it with a 2012 Dmax LSU.

We take delivery of the CT in May and plan on going away in June for two weeks.

I would like to try some out of the way places east or slightly north of Perth. Somewhere other than designated campgrounds, they are becoming too noisy for our liking.

But it has to be fairly easy stuff as we are still learning how to do the four wheel thing and also it will be the first time towing the CT, plus we will be travelling alone.

So if anyone has some information on some out of the way camping spots that are accessible towing a CT, I would really appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mr Pointyhead - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 11:44

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 11:44
You may want to consider some driver training before you go. Both commercial providers and some clubs offer driver training course that cover driving your car off road and towing the trailer off road.

- Rob
AnswerID: 508552

Follow Up By: evaredy - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 13:26

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 13:26
I have done a 2 day course, it covered basic beach driving on the Saturday and then bush driving on Sunday.

yes it is only basic, but not knowing anything at all about 4x4's I did learn quite a lot.
I am looking at joining a club, but I would prefer a club that actually has days that are designed to teach newcomers and not just come and join.

Most require you attend x amount of trips and meetings, so it trying to fit in with those dates that is the hard part.
FollowupID: 786108

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 05:47

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 05:47
With a little, hesitation I would say that any club associated with the Australian National Four Wheel Drive Council, Four Wheel Drive Australia would suit your needs.Australian National 4WD Club

Our own club, the Southern Tablelands 4WD Club (ST4WDC), has a basic training course of three days, spread over two weekends, covering 4WD driving in general and topics such as safety, first aid, communications, how a 4WD really works, winching, basic 4WD maintenance, and the all important recovery and self relaiance. Sand driving and water crossing as well as advanced and extreme courses are also available. In our club the you must attend and pass the basic course to join any club sponsored drive above category 1.

By all means join a club. Both my wife and I have backgrounds as an unrestricted Army driver including a Recovery Mechanic and my wife wenton and won many Rallys including the Redex stuff. It wasn't a waste of time and a good introduction to aspects we had never even considered.\\Phil
FollowupID: 786160

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 05:59

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 05:59
May I add that I was thinking that you wanted to really "go remote", but after reading further down I see that you just wanted quiet places and not so "out in the desert" on you own stuff.

But please still consider the training before going remote on your own. Too many have fallen by the wayside by just buying up, hookling up and heading off into the wild.

Phil
FollowupID: 786162

Follow Up By: Member - evaredy - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 09:52

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 09:52
We are not going into remote areas, that won't happen until we have joined a club and have gained a lot more experience. It also won't happen on our own, I would like to join one of those tag along trips some time though, it may be a good way to meet people.
FollowupID: 786179

Reply By: philldeb - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 12:23

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 12:23
MR Dintkhead The way i read the post evaredy was looking for camp sights not driver traning
AnswerID: 508560

Follow Up By: Krooznalong - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 13:26

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 13:26
philldeb
Must say that my first thought was the same as Rob's - they should do driver training, especially as they are going alone.

And BTW:
* I think you'll find that they are looking for camp sites, not sights.

* Rob suggested driver training, not traning.

* the name you used - Dintkhead - that's just plain rude and unwarranted. Me thinks you might be one of those yourself.

* your reply did not enlighten the OP one iota.

My apologies to the OP however being from the east coast I can't really help you much with first hand experience - have you had a look at the Treks section on this site. There may be a trip in there that suits your needs.
FollowupID: 786107

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 12:51

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 12:51
evaredy,

I have the perfect answer for you, imo, of course.

Check my blog and download the Granite Loop Trail.

GB in a BT: The Granite Loop Trail.

There are some great campsites, some fairly basic, others with organised spots and even a flushing toilet. A lot of history to explore too.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 508566

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 12:53

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 12:53
ps, it would be perfect in May/June with cool days, campfires allowed.

Just perfect.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 786100

Follow Up By: evaredy - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 13:38

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 13:38
Thanks very much, I will have a read.

I how long did it take you and what are the camping spots like?
FollowupID: 786113

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 14:33

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 14:33
We only had 5 days. You could take twice that and add in a few more places to explore. There's a lot out there.

The campsites were very good. Well laid out and some had facilities (Beringbooding Rock had a flush toilet supplied from that big tank). There were other campsites that were just clearings in the bush (Talgomine Rock). Billyburning Rock was sort of in between those two.

The tracks are good. The history is great. The granite rock outcrops are an explorer's delight.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 786117

Follow Up By: evaredy - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 16:05

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 16:05
Thanks a lot, it sure looks like it would be a good trip. If it took you 5 days then we will have plenty of time.

I wouldn't mind seeing if there is a round about way to get to Kalgoorlie through that area, even if it meant heading a little further north and then swing east, we have 2 weeks and can always just follow the highway back to Perth.
FollowupID: 786124

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 18:06

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 18:06
There is. If there's a way you can give me your email address, I'll give you details.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 786137

Follow Up By: evaredy - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 18:59

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 18:59
I can't send PM's, because I'm not a paying member.
FollowupID: 786141

Follow Up By: Member - evaredy - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 19:10

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 19:10
Never mind, I just signed up, I will send you a PM
FollowupID: 786143

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 19:57

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 19:57
Got the PM.

I'll put together some suggestions.

Cheers

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 786145

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 05:56

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 05:56
Looks like a nice drive for a novice. Sorry but that's the impressions that I got from the original post. Not a bad idea.

Phil
FollowupID: 786161

Follow Up By: Member - evaredy - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 09:43

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 09:43
Thats exactly what we are, novices :) and the info provided by Go Bush is what we are after for now.
FollowupID: 786176

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 23:34

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 23:34
This is a great route - Gone Bush knows what he's talking about. Enjoy yourself.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 786254

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 20:46

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 20:46
Hi Evaredy,

Get the Eastern Goldfields Trips book, simple trips that are researched and trip noted - most of the directions are correct and get a good map book to go with it.
Do your research on Google Earth before you go.
There are places that you will find that are out of the main stream.
Be aware that rain in the area will close roads and make off road or camping in the bush very perilous, so beware and above all - as should have been explained on your training course - when in doubt .... DON'T.

Enjoy,

Cheers.
Wayne & Sally.
AnswerID: 508606

Follow Up By: Member - evaredy - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 23:01

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 23:01
Thanks for the suggestion, I have ordered some books, Camps 7, 4wd Days in the Goldfields and a couple of others, as well as the Hema DVD. I just need to get some good paper maps as well.
FollowupID: 786152

Follow Up By: Wayne's 60 - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 01:37

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 01:37
You are welcome and keep in mind to keep it simple to start. A good map book will suffice to start and after you have worked out what areas you wish to explor further ... then get topo maps for that particular area.
It does take time to sort yourself out, too much - too soon, will lessen the enjoyment and add unneccessary cost. Every time we head bush, we learn more, research more and look forward to returning to an area!!

If we can assist further, please contact us through the Compact 4WD Club link, we are not members of Explor OZ though we do appreciate David & Michelle's promotion of 4WD Clubs.

We look forward to seeing you out on a track ......sometime soon.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.
FollowupID: 786159

Follow Up By: Member - evaredy - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 09:46

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 09:46
We intend to take things easy, the Dmax is our only vehicle and as such we can't afford to have it off the road.
We are not into anything really rough or extreme and I will not do anything I have to think twice about.

Once we find a club that suits us, then we can try something a little more adventurous in the company of other more experienced drivers.

For now, I think the trip info provided by Go Bush will suit us quite nicely.

If anyone has any tips etc, I'm all ears :)
FollowupID: 786177

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 23:38

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 23:38
Agreed another great suggestion here by Wayne & Sally.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 786256

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 23:40

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 23:40
As a new member check out the trek notes on our site - you can down load the GPS routes free and we have an eastern goldfields loop that is such a wonderful journey.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 786257

Follow Up By: Member - evaredy - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 14:10

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 14:10
Thanks Michelle,

That maybe the one to do on the way back from Kalgoorlie, folow that back to Coolgardie and then back to Perth.
FollowupID: 786314

Reply By: Member - kym111 - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 22:23

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 22:23
If you don't mind going a bit further than Geraldton, there's a lovely spot up near the Galena Bridge, that was once the Geraldine townsite and tin mine. It's on the banks of the Murchison River, and you turn off to the left just before the bridge (heading north), then there's a track off to the right on a 90 degree bend to the left. The track will take you down to the river, but past the old battery and what is left of homes etc (not much left). The remains of the tin mine and a cemetery are on the other side of the river.

We went in June a couple of years ago, so it was a bit muddy, but should be well within your capabilities, especially at the moment.
AnswerID: 508700

Reply By: equinox - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 23:49

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 23:49
Hi evaredy,

Have a look at http://outbackpathways.com/

There's 3 "official" easy runs in there, Miners Pathway, Woolwagon Pathway and Kingsford-Smith Mail run. May be to far north for you???

Also, there's heaps of tracks in the area between Paynes Find, Menzies, Kalgoorlie and Southern Cross, all pretty easy runs.

I have some user treks listed on this site (176 and stable), only 3 may be applicable in regards to your query. These are all easy but could be considered remote as you will probably see no one there. Camp anywhere you want. The last one Banker Mount Day road I really want to get back to soon, as there's heaps of tracks that criss-cross and I want to know where they go (don't tell anyone).

Meekatharra to Mullawa (easy in dry)

Lake Johnston Road (easy in dry)

Banker Mount Day Road (easy in dry)

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 508705

Follow Up By: Member - evaredy - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 09:33

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 09:33
Thanks very much Alan,

I have to figure out how to use the user tracks feature, when I click on the above, open user trek, it just displays a map with all of your treks overlayed. I can't seem to see that particular trek.

Am I doing something wrong?
FollowupID: 786291

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 18:45

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 18:45
Hi evaredy,

There was a problem with the system, so you were not doing anything wrong.
Try again it should be Ok.

Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 786339

Follow Up By: Member - evaredy - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 09:35

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 09:35
That's better.

Now I can have a good look at them, thanks.
FollowupID: 786416

Sponsored Links