What's an acceptable time for a caravan to be made?

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 18:29
ThreadID: 101597 Views:2369 Replies:11 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hello wise ones...
Posting this for my In laws who are going through the process of buying their very first caravan.
It was ordered 5 months ago and the deposit was paid. Ordered as a new van not as a stock item.
They're getting a bit anxious and I was curious to know what's the usual wait time for a new van to be made. 18 footer with ensuite...won't say who through.
Any feedback welcome....thanks.
Fab.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dust-Devil - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 18:40

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 18:40
Ordered one five years ago in Sept and was advised at time of ordering that it wouldn't be ready until Apr/May of the following year as I had to take my turn in the manufacturing queue.

Delivered in May of following year as forecast. No problems at all as I was advised at time of signing the dotted line that there was a 'wait'.

So, were the in laws given an anticipated time for delivery and it has expired, or were the told an anticipated time of delivery and it didn't register in their memory banks, or were they given no estimated completion and delivery date at all.

DD
AnswerID: 508589

Follow Up By: Member - Fab72 (Paradise SA) - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 19:06

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 19:06
They were told February, then March, then April and today they were told it's still another 2 weeks away.
Thanks DD.
FollowupID: 786142

Reply By: Peterpan - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 19:26

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 19:26
Hi. We ordered our non standard 21 foot Jayco Sterling van 5th Oct last year at the leisurefest show at Sandown racecourse and the deposit paid. We were advised at the time it would be finished early March this year. It was ready early March as we were told and we collected it on the 21st. We are happy with our purchase and have done just over 2000 kms so far and have a couple of small problems but we have been advised that it will be fixed under warranty as soon as the Jayco warranty agent gets back from a trip overseas.
AnswerID: 508591

Reply By: Member - Hunter Gatherer - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 20:02

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 20:02
Why not ask to inspect it, now that it is supposed to be only a few weeks to complete? I have ordered a 23' van, placed an order in December2012 and have been promised it will be ready in 1st week of June, they are a reputable manufacturer in Melbourne, I have no doubt at this stage that they won't deliver, but time will tell.
AnswerID: 508595

Reply By: Member - Hunter Gatherer - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 20:02

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 20:02
Why not ask to inspect it, now that it is supposed to be only a few weeks to complete? I have ordered a 23' van, placed an order in December2012 and have been promised it will be ready in 1st week of June, they are a reputable manufacturer in Melbourne, I have no doubt at this stage that they won't deliver, but time will tell.
AnswerID: 508596

Follow Up By: Member - Hunter Gatherer - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 20:03

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 20:03
Sorry for the duplication.
FollowupID: 786146

Reply By: Stretchlizard2 - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 20:33

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 20:33
Hi Fab
How long is a piece of string?
We ordered our van from a reputable manufacturer on the Gold coast. The manufacturer does not take vans to shows and does rarely advertise as word of mouth from satisfied customers is providing them with all the work they can handle.
As each van is fully personalised to achieve the van that the customer wants, then the customer has to accept that he will be in a queue. In our case we were told to expect 12 months from deposit to delivery and this extended to 15 months. So for us the usual wait for this manufacturer was acceptable and the waiting list is getting longer.
We were welcome to the factory to see our "baby" at any time from conception to delivery.
We are happy with the product they made so for us the wait time was not an issue.
Cheers Stretchlizard
AnswerID: 508601

Follow Up By: Member - Hunter Gatherer - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 17:14

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 17:14
Stretchie,
what brand van, who is the manufacturer?
FollowupID: 786220

Follow Up By: Stretchlizard2 - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 17:43

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 17:43
HG
The van manufacturer is Bozcrome. The van models are SLR (sports, leisure and recreation)
As well as vans, they will make you an expedition vehicle which starts with an Isuzu truck and the sky is the limit as far as fitout is concerned. My dream vehicle after I win Lotto!
Their website has piccies and videos and contact details.
No connection other than as a satisfied customer.
Cheers Stretchlizard
FollowupID: 786222

Reply By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 07:04

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 07:04
Hi Fab,

We got ours (from a well known manufacturer) in 3 months. Ordered 17 of Dec last year, Picked up on the 18th of March. If we missed the van we got, it woulda been another 2 month wait.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 508620

Reply By: AlanTH - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 09:31

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 09:31
We ordered a van here in WA from a manufacturer we'd had a wind up camper from some years ago.
We wanted to pick it up in Melbourne after I'd had a knee op. but it got delivered here a couple of months before the due date. I think it came out of stock and they altered it to suit our specs.
Since then we've been at logger heads with the retailer and maker (well actually the maker won't even talk to us about anything!) ever since as the wheels are buckled and things are falling off inside the van like pelmets, head bash protector over door, drawers opening.
I reckon the vibrations set up by the buckled wheels could well be damaging the frame as well so it's off to court we go.
Anyone with steel wheels should get them checked as the van makers don't bother.
AlanH.
AnswerID: 508629

Follow Up By: Member - Fab72 (Paradise SA) - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 16:16

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 16:16
Alan,
Who is it? My in laws van is coming from Melbourne too. As it stands, communication between the retailer in Adelaide and the builder in Melbourne has been difficult, or so they've been told.

Fab.
FollowupID: 786463

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 17:42

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 17:42
Hi FAB72.
Company name is Goldstream. The wind-up we had from them was good, this van is crap much the same as their attitude to us.
Cheers.
Alan.
FollowupID: 786473

Follow Up By: Member - Fab72 (Paradise SA) - Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 10:08

Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 10:08
Cheers Alan,
Phew....it's not Goldstream they're going through.
Fab.
FollowupID: 786515

Reply By: member - mazcan - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 11:30

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 11:30
hi fab 72
irrespective of what brand your van is
you have to take into acct that there has just been caravans shows across the nation and there is bound to be a huge back-log of orders
some companies more than others and also those companies that customize a van for a clients individual tastes will take even longer per order
like said how long is a piece of string
I think if the company the order is placed with is open and honest by allowing the client to view the product at any stage of the build then to me that says a lot about their integrity and to me that would be a big plus
cheers
AnswerID: 508642

Reply By: Member - kym111 - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 15:00

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 15:00
We ordered a Sunland Longreach last March/April with a delivery date at end of September. We could have had it in July as they were a bit quiet at the time, but September suited us better.
As it was, the extra time was better to choose colours, benchtops etc. In the end we brought delivery forward a couple of weeks to co-incide with a last minute planned holiday. Sunland were happy to do this for us, even though their books were full by that stage. They shuffled a couple of other jobs around to suit. I think the actual build probably took about a month, from ordering the chassis, upholstery and laminate etc to licencing.
AnswerID: 508664

Reply By: murrayman - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 16:50

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 16:50
hi fab72, is this van being built in adelaide in the northern suberbs. cheers mm
AnswerID: 508674

Follow Up By: Member - Fab72 (Paradise SA) - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 16:09

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 16:09
G'Day MM,
The retailer is in Adelaide but the factory is in Melbourne which makes inspection, as suggested by others, very difficult.
When my inlaws suggest the retailers rings the factory for an update, they are being told that they can't be contacted by phone, only email.
That part sounds like excrement to me. How can a retailer not contact their own factory by phone?
Let's just hope that when it arrives it is a van (wink wink) and not a lemon.
Fab.
FollowupID: 786462

Reply By: Member - Fab72 (Paradise SA) - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 16:13

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 16:13
Hello all,
Blanket reply after reading all the good replies, thank you too.
The van is being built in Melbourne and they live on the Yorke Pen, so an inspection is not that easy. I did pass on the feedback so they are going to request some photos.

Another week has passed and still no van. The retailer says they can't contact the factory by phone????...strange. And that they only correspond by email. I told my in laws to ask for the emails to be forwarded on.

The father in law is worried his "nagging" (his words not mine) might annoy them to the point that they rush the job and he ends up with a Lemon rather than A Van.

Fab.
AnswerID: 508867

Sponsored Links