4wd Side shades

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 19:36
ThreadID: 101599 Views:3174 Replies:13 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, Ive been thinking about the pros and cons of a side shade. The roof rack mounted ones have merit and would it be fast to set up BUT u have to pull it in/down to move or go somewhere. I am thinking of just getting a tarp and some poles that I can leave set up if I wanna go any away from the camp.

Id love to hear what people use as both have merit.

Trev
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 20:02

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 20:02
Vehicle mount is a great idea! Ours takes 1 to 2 minutes at most to set up and put away. We use it for lunch if out in the middle of nowhere, that's how easy it is! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 508597

Follow Up By: Member - VickiW - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 20:26

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 20:26
I second Michael's comment. I have a vehicle awning and it is quick & easy to set up even by one person (although if it is windy can be difficult by myself). But generally easy to set up for morning tea or lunch.

Previously have set up using a tarp quite a few times - with 2 people it still took a while & definitely took a lot longer than the car awning. Still, good in the situation where you want to leave it set up for a few days and want more space under cover.
FollowupID: 786148

Follow Up By: Member - kym111 - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 16:11

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 16:11
Just make sure you tie it down, in case of a bit of wind. Our first use out and a breeze came along and away it flew, over the other side of the Patrol.... Lol Hubby was not impressed, especially after seeing the gouges out of the paint! Apparently I was supposed to be holding onto it!
FollowupID: 786212

Reply By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 21:55

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 21:55
We have a side awning and after toing and froing with the idea I finally gave in and and have not looked back....... as others have said; it takes a few minutes to setup and pack up.

The best thing I like about it is when we are doing trips and we want to stop for lunch we can pull up and have our own shade/shelter.

A side awning is not something I would set up and use as a main camp shelter...... it's more of a convenience item when mobile.

We went away at easter and used it one night to sit under by the campfire as it was raining.
AnswerID: 508607

Reply By: equinox - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 22:15

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 22:15
Hi Trev,
I have the tarp and poles, however they are still connected to the vehicle. It's a cheap alternative to a fixed side shade and it is easily stored.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 508608

Reply By: lancie49 - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 23:01

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 23:01
Perhaps sew some flyscreen spline into a tarp, attach a length of sailtrack to your roof rack and see if that works for you.
It's still attached, but it's quick and easy to demount and fold away.
AnswerID: 508613

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 07:44

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 07:44
The vehicle mounted awning has definite merits as other folk have stated.
As far as we are concerned though, a simple tree is all that is needed for a quick cuppa.

But, for a camp shelter, you cannot go past a free standing gazebo, subject to room to carry it of course.
We have an Oztrail Deluxe Gazebo (need to carry on roof racks or trailer) and have spend a dry spell with 4 other people out on the Nullarbor during a thunder storm.
Is is simple to erect with its concertina style roof structure so there is no hassle in assembling the frame.
In calm weather, just a peg in each corner is sufficient, but for windy conditions, the included tie down ropes give extra security.

Kulkyne Camping have them for $199 at present:-
Oztrail Deluxe Gazebo
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 508622

Reply By: Terry F2 - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 08:03

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 08:03
Hi Trevor,

I was considering a commercial shade but decided to give a DIY a go first.

I purchased a 2m x 1.8m tarp and some tent poles, pegs and ropes.

I then fitted a 2m long metal section on the edge of my roof racks. This was fitted with 4 eyebolts to match up with the eyelets of the tarp.

To join the tarp to the metal section I used 4 clip-on connectors. The first time we used the tarp it was quite windy and the connectors (metal on metal) meant it sounded a bit like a boat's rigging. So I have now fitted a rubber thong onto each eyebolt.

The outcome is adequate sun shade protection.

I have subsequently purchased another matching tarp to provide wind protection. This will sit down and out utilising the guy rope pegs (yet to field test).

Whilst I could probably erect it by myself, it is obviously easier for two people to erect.
AnswerID: 508624

Reply By: JimDi - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 09:58

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 09:58
Hi Trevor,

I have to agree a side awning is very useful and handy for a quick setup. We have a foxwing awning which I have found okay but does have drawbacks particularly when its windy.

On a recent visit to a 4wd and fishing expo I came across a side awning that impressed me and was easy to set up etc. It was well made and looked as if it could handle the most rugged of conditions. Its called a Hannibal awning and was available from a firm on Brisbanes southside,suburb is Tingalpa. Not sure what your budget is but these awnings were not cheap from memory. But worth a look, I have no association with the company just wish I had spotted them earlier.

Jim
AnswerID: 508632

Reply By: Trevor G - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 12:07

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 12:07
Thanks for your feedback. Theres a few on the market. Theres a 4wd show on at Maitland NSW next month so Ill have a good look there. I have to get a roof/rack yet.

AnswerID: 508647

Reply By: Member - mark i2 - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 16:11

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 16:11
I have one and its so easy to setup and packup.

One thing to be aware of, they are light and if you don't peg them down with the supplied ropes and pegs and a breeze gets under them they easily get picked up and tossed over the vehicle. This happened to me and bent a couple of the poles that extend out from the mount.

It was no problem to fix as the poles were same diameter tentpoles bought from a camping store.
AnswerID: 508670

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 20:33

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 20:33
As an aside I rarely use the pegs to secure my awning but use sand bags. Just use the "green" recycle bags or similar and fill with soil/sand or stones to suit the prevailing conditions.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 508693

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 21:11

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 21:11
Gday Duncan,
Thats a good thought.
I have recently bought one of these awnings, but was thinking of using two 10litre water jerry cans to hold the corners down. It would be the emergency water, so is unlikely to be used until the end of a trip.
FollowupID: 786241

Reply By: robert s4 - Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 01:44

Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 01:44
buy one u cant go wrong great idea
AnswerID: 508904

Reply By: Member - silkwood - Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 21:37

Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 21:37
Trevor, I made my own. Attached to 50x50mm angle alloy,(tarp 2.4m wide by 5m long). I have set it up so the tarp is freestanding with uprights attached at the 2m (out from the vehicle) mark by using expanding alloy poles from the roof to the edge (uprights pivot on a section of alloy channel to which the horizontal poles attach). I guy it down if windy or staying overnight.

If we are staying for a while I remove the horizontal supports (the guys keep the main section standing) and extend the tarp out to the desired length and support with the other poles. This gives me numerous configurations and privacy if in shared campsites or van parks.

This has worked brilliantly for the last three years, I'm now about to renew the tarp (blue heavy duty, $48) in preparation for a Cape York trip later this year.

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 508962

Follow Up By: Wolfy03 - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 15:07

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 15:07
G'day Mark is it possible to see some photos of ur setup with the awning?
FollowupID: 786728

Reply By: mikehzz - Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 21:54

Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 21:54
I used to use a roof tent, now I use a stretcher cot tent under a side awning. Quick setup and no climbing ladders. Tie the awning down or its 'gone with the wind'. :-)
AnswerID: 508963

Sponsored Links