Help choosing between 2 tents

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 22:38
ThreadID: 101602 Views:8290 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Obviously new around here so take it easy on me. :)

A little background first. Relatively new to camping and been using a generic tent for quite some time. Although everything go put on hold when we had our little fella. He is now 2 years old and it's time to get back into it.

So we've decided that a 2 room tent with basic tarp setup just isn't going to cut it any more and it's time for a massive overhaul of gear. I've been mainly looking at Coleman and Oztrail due to price/quality. Having in-laws (god bless their souls) who have been avid campers since the beginning of time they've both been happy with their gear from these 2 suppliers. Also looking at purchasing quite a few items such as kitchen setup, gazebo, tent etc. So bundling where possible will make warranty work etc much easier.

So the toss up atm is between either trying to find a tent with a form of 'gazebo' added to it or going the other route and simple having a gazebo AND tent. Obviously always price conscious and where money can be saved that's more for the fun stuff!

So I'm sort of set on a few tents with those being:
Coleman Chalet
Oztrail Lodge Family
Oztrail Villa

Now my head tells me to go with the Villa as it has the 'gazebo' feature at the front and would hopefully serve that exact purpose.

If that is a no go then I would go with the Coleman Chalet as then I would buy the Coleman Event 14 as my in-laws have one and it's fantastic, especially in windy conditions.

So I guess my main question to you much more experienced crew is, is the Oztrail Villa good enough to make do or do you feel I'm wasting my time and just spend the extra and go the Coleman Chalet option.

Thank you very much in advance to those who offer any advice of assistance.

Regards,
AJ
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TrentC - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 23:02

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 23:02
Welcome back to camping, very similar to us however be had a 12 year break.

We recently purchased a Diamantina tent and looking forward to testing it out in a couple weeks time when we go away for the weekend.

We were also looking at the Coleman Chalet however for personal preferences went with the Diamantina Drysdale 9 Extended. Reviews on Oztrail tents for me turned me away due poor waterproofing....however I'm sure there's plenty of good reviews out there too. I really liked the lodge by oztrail or Diamantina but just don't have the room in the car but would live a canvas tent.

Diamantina Tents

Have you thought of he Blackwolf tents?

Let me know what you end up with.

Cheers,
Trent
AnswerID: 508614

Reply By: Glenn M4 - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 07:01

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 07:01
Hi tratty18.
We had a Coleman chalet 9 before we got the camper trailer. 3 rooms was great. 2 young kids down one end and us at the other. Plenty of room in the middle for small table, cupboard etc. could stand up in the tent instead of crouching. Never had a leak and holds up really well in the wind. Even once in echuca it was so windy one night the walls were being tested big time and were fine. Hope this might help in your decision.
Cheers,
Glenn
AnswerID: 508619

Reply By: Mark T6 - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 13:18

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 13:18
I am an avid Black Wolf fan...fast up fast down.

I have just graduated from an Turbo FS270 (small but seriously up in less than 2 mins and down in about 4) which did not have much room to a Turbo 300 plus, which has enough room for probably 2 aduts and 2 kids (only just my wife and I so ample room for two)

Set up time is a fraction longer as there's an extension at the back.....so say 4 minutes up). It's a fraction longer to pack up as well (just a little bigger to roll) so say 6 minutes down.

No leaks, light (relative to canvas)...just love them!! (and can fit inside a vehicle also not like the Oztent!!)

I paid $649.00 for my tent, dearer than some of those cheaper versions BUT worth it in time!!
AnswerID: 508656

Reply By: Litlbalt - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 16:53

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 16:53
We recently put up our friends tent similar to the villa and it took forever as there are so many poles.

We are used to our blackwolf turbo tent but we also have a tent similar to the chalet and its easier then the villa type.

I would go the chalet and the gazebo as it will give you more space then just the villa's "gazebo". I have seen many Chalet's around and they look pretty good and have stood up to some strong winds so did the Event 14.

AnswerID: 508675

Reply By: Trevor G - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 12:28

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 12:28
http://www.kangarootentcity.com.au/welcome/page24.php#Diamantina

I recently purchased a Escape Duo. Wonderful tent, solid, well made, it rained one night and no leaks, no tarp over the tent.

Have a look.
AnswerID: 508731

Sponsored Links