Cordless drill batteries going flat

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 18:36
ThreadID: 101615 Views:2505 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
I have a bit of a problem with my 18 volt drill batteries going flat quickly.
I thought that i read on the forum that if u put them in the fridge or freezer
for 12 or 24 hrs that it helps them hold their charge longer when recharged,
can anybody confirm this.
Thanks,
Hayd
Alcohol may be man's worst enemy but the bible says love your enemy

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 19:05

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 19:05
Is that with the battery plugged into the drill OR is it when they are by themselves?
If it isn't a well known expensive brand the batteries may be fairly poor at holding charge.

If when in the drill and it has an inbuilt light that may be dragging power "unseen"

If it is any of the Supercheap, Aldi or low end trade store drills don't expect too much.

Ross M
AnswerID: 508683

Follow Up By: Member - Hayjude (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 19:37

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 19:37
Thanks Ross,

It is a Maktec and it is when they are by themselves in the carry case and I always make sure that the plastic caps are on the ends.

FollowupID: 786228

Reply By: The Bantam - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 00:18

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 00:18
Nickle cad & nickle metal hydride batteries do not hold there charge for a long time, as they age this gets worse.....don't expect to charge a NiCad and have a full charge 2 weeks later.

NiCad & NiMh batteries like it cold, they are most efficient arround 0C , the hotter they get, the less charge will stick the shorter their life, the less charge you will get out and the worse their self discharge will be.

NiMh has less problems and all to a lesser degree that NiCad.

Neither like to sit and do nothing for long periods, if left in storage both may take a couple of cycles to return to their best.

NiCad, does tend to suffer from discharge memory......they like to be fully cycled reasonable regularly and they rersent being short charged.

When I was using NiCad battery drills regularly, about once every couple of months, I would I would tape up a drill and let the battery run till it nearly stopped.....let the battery cool then recharge.

ALLways, let the battery cool before recharging.

You will get more change to stick to a NiCad, by charging it in the fridge, because charging is ended bassed on temperature.....a cool battery is a happy battery.

Putting nicad batteries in the deep freeze over night is proven to liven up sad batteries, and tends to break up metal creep and helps with discharge memory.
I have done it myself and yes it works.....like all things there are limits.

Put said battery into a zip lock baggie with the air squeezed out and put it in the deep freeze over night, allow it to warm up and recharge.

Aftermarket battery packs and repacks almost without exception go better than factory.

When buying replecement packs or cells.....look for SANYO cells used in the packs......they have had the fast charge and power tool NiCad technologies by the balls for ages...no one can touch em in this particular application.

In Australia, master instruments have the best and widest range of replecement packs.
They use batch matched Sanyo cells in most of their packs.
Ask for them at any decent battery shop or power tool shop.

cheers

AnswerID: 508706

Follow Up By: Member - Hayjude (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 09:33

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 09:33
Hi Bantam
Thanks very much for that post, very interesting.
I will try the freezer and see what happens
all the best
Hayd

FollowupID: 786290

Reply By: Batt's - Wednesday, Apr 17, 2013 at 20:50

Wednesday, Apr 17, 2013 at 20:50
Some of my Bosch batteries are getting old and not holding charge so I tried masters instruments they told me they don't sell to the public you need an abn number. Plus they are dearer than a company in the USA I have used before I think I buy from them again.
AnswerID: 509230

Sponsored Links