Best 2" lift for a '70 Series

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 00:32
ThreadID: 101622 Views:19968 Replies:8 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all, I am in the process of buying a new '76 Series Land Cruiser wagon and want to put a 2" lift into it. I am installing an ARB bull bar, side bars, steps, dual battery and 12000lb winch and am after opinions on the best lift kit to suit this combination. Have used EFS on my current GU Patrol but was not totally happy with it. The shocks were OK but the springs sagged very quickly. They were replaced under warrenty but sagged to one side a year later. I have read that Tough Dog is good but would like advice.

Thanks in advance, Toby.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: equinox - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 01:04

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 01:04
Hi Toby,

I don't know the answer to your question.

However I can advise to avoid OME brand at all costs.
I bought the whole OME kit (~$3600) in 2009.
The first real outback trip I took it on in 2010 both front LTR's failed, and due to this one of the front coils snapped in two (clean snap).
All replaced under warranty, but got the lesser nitro-chargers instead of the LTR's because of limited supply of both time and parts in Port Headland.

Less than 24 hours later when back on the track one of the Nitro's showed severe signs of degradation.

Last year one of my OME rear leaf springs clean snapped as well.

OME brand did not live up to it's promise in the ads of "ultimate off-road suspension", which is what I wanted and expected. I was lied to.

I also have the ARB Bullbar, side bars and steps (and roof rack) and have had no problem with these.

Initially I only got the lift due to me wanting better articulation, as when I drove over creek beds diagonally the Toyota suspension "creaked". In hindsight I should have kept with the original suspension, as I could still drive the thing anywhere I wanted to without drama.

Good luck with your search, however ask yourself, do you really need a lift and why?

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 508708

Follow Up By: Diamantina Drover - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 01:17

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 01:17
Thanks Alan,

Really appreciate the frankness of your reply. Was about to sign up for the OME package but have read a few negatives about them. Have also read that Koni's are good but can't find anyone who sells them.

Really want the lift for helping with the extra weight of the bar, winch, etc and improved clearance with both approach and departure angles.

Anyway, might put a hold on the lift until I can find out some more information.

Cheers, Toby.
FollowupID: 786264

Follow Up By: jacent - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 02:04

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 02:04
Hi, I have OME springs and nitrocharger sport shocks, 600 kg constant load springs in the rear, I have steel bull bar, winch, scrub bars, steel side steps, steel rear dual wheel carrier and both tanks usually full of diesel, roof top tent etc I live in the nortern goldfields w.a and travel on corrugated, unsealed roads very regularly, I also do alot of towing with the car and have never had a slight issue with springs and shocks in the four years they have been on the car. I am happy with mine and wouldnt complain! I Have a mate that had tough dog and he says they are good too, but he went through a few shocks when he crossed the simpson. I had mine fitted by an arb workshop in carrum downs victoria, cost around the $2000 mark supply and fitted with caster correction kit and shock stone guards
FollowupID: 786265

Follow Up By: jacent - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 02:05

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 02:05
My car is a 105 series landcruiser ( sorry)
FollowupID: 786266

Reply By: Parafan - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 07:10

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 07:10
howdy - When I bought my VDJ79 ute I opted to get a GVM upgrade which gave me a 2 inch lift but also it was officially plated. It lifted the 3300 GVM up to 3760. In Qld it has to be done prior to the car being registered.
Everyday is a holiday
Norm & Lisa

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 508710

Follow Up By: Mark&Sue - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 07:55

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 07:55
Hi Toby, I have lifted my 76 wagon using 2inch raised king coils in the front with Oztech shocks all round { lifetime wty for private users}, in the rear I had Freds 4wd conversions fit rear coils and have also replaced shackles with greasable ones and I have also removed one of the rear leaves more for comfort. Truck rides really comfortable now, handles our 2T caravan on back very little sag when van is on. I wouldn't be going the Gvm upgrade as the wagons dont have the room to carry the weight the utes do so don't see the point. Truck has arb bullbar with winch rear kaymar bar dual batteries & steel sidesteps over hte weighbridge a couple of weeks ago with me in it truck was just under 2600 kgs.
Cheers Mark.
FollowupID: 786279

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 08:23

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 08:23
G'day Toby

I did a fair bit of research and ended up going with Sax ..
http://www.saxsuspension.com/

So far very happy with the result, but will have a better idea after our forthcoming Kimberley adventure.

I almost went with Lovells which is highly respected, however I encountered one of their people who was totally honest and advised I would regret it as they are very harsh unless fully loaded, which wouldn't be the case all the time with me by a long shot.
AnswerID: 508715

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 16:18

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 16:18
I have King springs and Koni shocks in my 78 Series.

Should have got it done years sooner, a much better vehicle to drive and 2 years on no problems to report.

Where do you live, someone may be able to give you the name of a local Koni dealer or look jump on Google. It returns quite a few Koni dealers in Australia.

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 508743

Follow Up By: Diamantina Drover - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 18:14

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 18:14
Tending to lean that way myself. I live at the bottom of the Sunshine Coast and managed to find a dealer in Koni's. Have contacted them but have not heard back from them of yet.
FollowupID: 786332

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 20:28

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 20:28
On my '79 series c/c I had a Westcoast Suspension GVM upgrade to 3900kg. (modification plate fitted)

In doing so this gave me lift (which I wasnt seeking) ..all I wanted was the GVM upgrade but in doing so it lifted...probably around the 2"

I also have BOSS airbags and I am very happy with the ride and the performance. The vevicle is heavy and tows a heavy 'van at times...but all good
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 508774

Reply By: ingo57 - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 12:16

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 12:16
I have OME in my 76 series with 400 constants in the rear Steel bar winch roof rack draws and all that stuff.

Have been very happy with mine

Done 50,000 and had no probs. Crossed the Simpson last year towing no probs at all, If anything shockies are starting to fade a bit and need replacing. in saying that 50 k out of shocks is pretty good.

Would love to know what you were doing when you snapped the rear spring equinox??
AnswerID: 508839

Follow Up By: equinox - Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 06:26

Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 06:26
"Crossed the Simpson last year towing no probs at all"

Well that deserves some sort of medal I reckon. Not too many people do that, did you make the newspaper? lol (TIC)

In answer to your question I don't actually know when the rear spring snapped, as I didn't hear it and only discovered it when I was back at home some months after my previous trip. (I have another vehicle as my daily driver)

I can assure you though that whatever caused it was done doing what ARB said could be done. They do supply the ultimate in Off-road suspension!!!! It must be true they said so!!!

Do some real 4wdriving and get back to me with your results!!

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 786503

Follow Up By: ingo57 - Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 06:57

Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 06:57
What a tool!!!!I see that you must be right and ARB a worldwide company must be wrong............ because you said so!!

I didnt know there was real 4wding and not real 4wding, making sure you get there without breaking stuff is probably a better Idea but for some people thats mentally challenging, but then again a man of your experience would know that!
FollowupID: 786504

Reply By: stamps - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 23:01

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 23:01
Hi Toby,

I have the complete Dobinson kit fitted to mine and at 100,000k's still going strong and with minimal sag. The company that fitted mine also kit out mining 4WD's with Dobinson gear, for good reason.

good luck,
Stamps

[img]
[/img]
AnswerID: 508899

Follow Up By: Diamantina Drover - Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 00:19

Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 00:19
Hi Stamps,

Very impressive articulation, especially for a leaf sprung rear end.

Toby
FollowupID: 787291

Reply By: Diamantina Drover - Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 00:44

Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 00:44
Hi everyone,

I just want to thank you all for your responses and general information concerning my suspension upgrade.
I tried to look into the Koni / King combination. I found a local dealer and called him to discuss what I was after. Well that was the last I heard from him with no follow up contact.

Anyway, I have decided to go with the ARB / OME package as they were the only company that mentioned making modifications for the ABS sensors and also rotating the diff to get it back to standard. They also offer a three year warranty which I am happy with, because if anything happens in that time, I am covered, and after that time I will probably be looking at my options anyway.

Just hope I don't have the problems that Equinox has experienced. Decided not to go with the GVM upgrade since I have the wagon and hence, I don't have the carrying capacity of the tray back. Anyway, most of my gear will be in the camper trailer (maybe).

Time will tell if I have made the right decision.

Thanks again to everyone,

Toby.
AnswerID: 509423

Sponsored Links