Satellite TV

I am contemplating the purchase of Sat TV for outback travelling and am looking for advice/help. I have heard of a WA group that you can watch all comm Stations and then some. I realise I have to have a Dish (Size ?), LNB, Decoder, and preferably a Sig Strength meter, plus TV and cable. Do I get the choice of which Satellite to lock into? If I was to buy the Satplus free to air kit ($535), is it all I need (to watch free to air)? For price and features, is there better? Can I watch Vic news while travelling in NSW Q/land? Are there any units better for low power consumption? Do they run on 12V or 240v? Can I use my laptop to view TV from the decoder? Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 08:07

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 08:07
Hi GWH, I have a satplus system and it works in all states. It uses very little power, I run a 150w inverter which you can get from them to run the decoder. It is easy to set up and the dish comes in a carry bag which holds the sat finder, compass and cable. All you need is a LED LCD tv. The decoder runs on 240v and tv on 12v, and yes you can view it on the laptop.
Andy
PS that price is cheep if it comes with decoder,dish,cable,sat finder and compass. The 150w inverter that plugs into cig was $35.00

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 508807

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 11:44

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 11:44
You can get a UEC twin tuner PVR which operates from 12 vdc or get a 12 vdc replacement power supply for the standard UEC box.
FollowupID: 786431

Reply By: Racey - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 08:53

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 08:53
Hi GWH, I would 2nd Satplus as a supplier, I have always found them very helpful.

The free to air Aussie TV is on Optus C1 satellite, charts provided will give you the necessary settings for your dish. regarding the dish, I use an 85cm dish which is great to capture a good signal. Some prefer a smaller dish for easy transport.

When you get your gear you will need to register with the VAST system, which free unlike the "old " system. Unless you live in a designated bad reception area you can Register as a Traveller, which does require you to re-register every 6 mths. All the details are on the VAST website : Vast Website. I'm sure the guys at Satplus will be happy to fill in the details.

Cheers
AnswerID: 508812

Reply By: baz&pud (tassie) - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 09:03

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 09:03
GWH
I don't think anyone has answered the question "can I watch Vic news while travelling in NSW, QLD".
We are from Tassie and we watch our local news, when you get set up, if you go to channel 4 it will give you a number for all the news stations in every state, eg for Southern Cross we press 411, and presto the news is there.
Cheers
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 508815

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 11:35

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 11:35
If you register for Vic you will get most of the Vic news. See here for the VAST TV Programs
Bear in mind that it is local Vic times so you need to adjust your viewing time to compensate for WA or daylight saving times.
You can change to other states service any time you wish.
FollowupID: 786428

Reply By: GWH - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 11:22

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 11:22
This is only about the 2nd time I have used a Forum, anywhere, and I appreciate the speed and the effort of the folks who have responded. Helping each other.. a good way to go. Like courtesy on the road. You feel good and someone else does too. Cheers.
AnswerID: 508834

Reply By: skilbys - Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 19:56

Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 19:56
Forgive my ignorance people, but do you need the accompanying set top box with a satellite dish kit to pick up local tv programs or can this be done simply by viewing on a tv with a built in HD tuner??
Just purchased dish kit form itechworld for a really good price, is the set top box only needed if you want to pick up satellite broadcasts????
cheers, Steve.
AnswerID: 509279

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 20:54

Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 20:54
You have to have a VAST decoder (set top box). A satellite dish is just that, an antenna for receiving TV signals transmitted by Optus C1 and D3 satellites. A HD TV can only receive terrestrial signals. You can get a single tuner or dual tuner PVR UEC box. Have a look at Satplus for boxes.
FollowupID: 787079

Sponsored Links