Maxtrax not Idiot Proof.

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 14:38
ThreadID: 101695 Views:3944 Replies:8 FollowUps:19
This Thread has been Archived
If you loan them get a good deposit.
My son-in-law is about $300 out of pocket because he lent his Maxtrax to a bogged stranger.
Got them back bald as a badger, minus the antislip spikes – the idot used too much power, spun his wheels and melted the spikes.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 15:00

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 15:00
Yeah, it's the old thing, isn't it? Lending stuff to people in need, especially if it has a bit of value. If you don't you're seen as an uncaring selfish ^&*%. If you do you often lose out like your SIL.

I'll lend a hand, I'll help people using their gear, I'll help people by me using my gear, but I no longer lend my gear. Too many non-returns or broken returns by people with NFI.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 508999

Reply By: mikehzz - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 15:45

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 15:45
Sometimes you only get one back. One disappears during the recovery and you can't find it in the sand. I've heard that more than once. It's best to tie a tether between them and follow the string.
AnswerID: 509001

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 15:55

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 15:55
Must get around to putting ropes on mine.
Drove them deep a couple of times but so far have been able to locate them.
FollowupID: 786628

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 15:55

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 15:55
Maybe a name and shame thread. But if you don't have mobile internet or they are recovered and gone it's too late to say "You stuffed Bob's maxtracks. Get yourself out".

Just once! Just once to come across a named and shamed twit, then it may make up for the stolen kit.

At least the straps and chains are out of sight so I can say that I need to use the stuck blokes gear if I feel going down that line of thought. Bit hard to hide the maxtax and winch.

But can we leave the idiots there???

Phil
AnswerID: 509003

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 21:04

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 21:04
Maybe NOT a name and shame thread
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 786656

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 21:48

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 21:48
Why not.

Aren't we a bit sick and tired of this type getting away with it. They did the crime so why not the time?

Phil
FollowupID: 786665

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 23:40

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 23:40
Hi

Bit hard to prove if anyone "named" by someone else is actually guilty of a "crime" based on that one persons brief comment (not saying in this case its not true by the way). Most people on this forum (all honest of course:) don't even provide their name. Naming others for the purpose of "shaming" while remaining anonymous maybe seen as suspicious.

Would end up a mess with false accusations, inaccurate accounts ..you understand (I hope). Potential defamation - against forum rules I guess - Bonz's point.

Plus, not sure about everyone else, but I am getting a bit sick of all the whining and whinging that goes on on this forum (which I have just contributed to :). Some threads seem to be purposely written to initiate a discussion all about bagging a subsection of the population that most of us all know exists anyway. Welcome to the real world. Get over it.

Please don't suggest another thread for the express purpose of whinging about someone/something.

Arrgh that's better - whining and whinging does help :)

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 786685

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 04:02

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 04:02
Greg

I have to agree with you on both counts about the naming and the whinging.

I go to chemo every four weeks and one thing is obvious from the chemo ward and that is an attitude of "stuff the problems - lets make the most of what we have". Hard to do, but worth it if you can.

I was also hoping that Bonz would reply.

Phil
FollowupID: 786686

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 13:48

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 13:48
Onya Greg

I just finished 6 months of fortnightly doses of cactus juice. Now's the time to move forward. No navel gazing here!!

PS ... I certainly won't miss feeling like bleep e for a week or so afterwards.
FollowupID: 786722

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 13:55

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 13:55
Oops ... sorry Phil. Addressed to you of course.

Edit button please Admin.
FollowupID: 786723

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 15:39

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 15:39
Half your luck Rosco. I have to go back monthly until I pack it in or they run out of money. Six hours in the chair today. Yuk. Makes it hard to drive all the Canning or visit the Kimberley and Cape York from Canberra but we got the first two. Now to find the right time for the Canning.

I just hope that people keep giving blood because that's where a lot of my immune system comes from.

Still I am alive and making the most of what I have left. Did you notice the positive attitude to life in the chemo ward. Sure is "go for it" here.

That's why the car is well set up for solo remote touring, and we hope, suitably self sufficient considering my problem. And some maxtrax on board as well. Of course.

Edit button please!!!

Phil
FollowupID: 786730

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 16:00

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 16:00
Phil

Hang in there cobber ... Nil Bastardo Carborundum. Certainly did notice the positive attitude amongst the patients. Only one way to go and that's forward. There's always some poor bastard far worse off than you.

Mine's been hanging around for the last 11 years, but I'm still going strong. No more than a bloody PITA !! :o)
Every few years it seems a bit crops up which they chop out then follow up with chemo to catch any stray little mongrels still floating around.

At least each time it crops up they seem to have a more advanced treatment regimen than the previous session.

But you're right ... too bloody much to do and too many places to see to be bothered worrying about minor set backs. Off to the Kimberleys at the end of May .. WHOO HOO.
FollowupID: 786733

Follow Up By: Gramps - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 17:11

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 17:11
Onya Rosco,

Keep at it and don't forget your Maxtrax :)
FollowupID: 786744

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 18:11

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 18:11
No worries Gramps

Just another stone bruise from the road of life.

It's just a pity the bastards dealt me a gravel track and bare feet :o))
FollowupID: 786755

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 18:37

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 18:37
Gregs got the whole thing to a tee Phil. Theres always someone elses story thats the gospel truth - theres no winners and it simply drags us, and the forum down to a pathetic level. Defamation is always thrown out but online the responsibility lies with the poster in most cases. And this has been taken to the Supreme Court in recent days on another issue.

I dont see any value in it except the all in blue that happens when such an event occurs and the mods are left to clean it up.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 786760

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 19:06

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 19:06
Thats better than ablanket statement and disappearing Bonz

I kind of agree but I would love to be able to do it and get back at the low life.

But that aside I have had enough of complaining for a while. I had my monthly dose of chemo today (6 hour of it) and the mood in the ward as always cheers me up.

Hooroo

Phil
FollowupID: 786766

Follow Up By: Member - Leanne W (NSW) - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 19:43

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 19:43
To Phil and Rosco,
I really love your positive and 'do it while you can' attitudes. I suffer from severe chronic neutropenia (you probably know what that is because chemo wipes out your neutrophils, but I was born with mine) and battle to stay well. Too many people take their health for granted. I don't. I with my husband did a lap of oz in 2004 before we had kids, and I would desperately love to do it again with our kids who are 8 and almost 2. I will do it!
To others out there trying to find the time to see this beautiful country of ours, just do it! You never know when your number is up, so make the most of every day.
I dont feel sorry for myself about the hand I have been dealt, it has made me value life and it doesn't take much looking to see someone else worse off.
Leanne
FollowupID: 786770

Reply By: Member - Leanne W (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 16:27

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 16:27
The stranger should have offered to replace them.
AnswerID: 509004

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 16:51

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 16:51
So he should have - If dealing with a stranger, I would have sorted that out before the loan.
FollowupID: 786634

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 21:05

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 21:05
I reckon you are spot on Leanne.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 786657

Follow Up By: Member - Leanne W (NSW) - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 19:46

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 19:46
It was the way I was brought up - if you borrow something from someone else, you look after it better than if it were your own, but if it gets damaged, offer to replace it. Particularly if someone has gone out of their way to help you in a sticky situation! Just common courtesy really.
FollowupID: 786771

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 16:44

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 16:44
I would have said "that recovery will cost you 300 bucks - and you can have the old ones as a bonus" ... I wouldn't hesitate to help someone out, but I wouldn't hesitate to remind them if they'd buggered some of my gear - 4wd sh*t ain't cheap !!!
AnswerID: 509006

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 17:14

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 17:14
Rule number one...... don't lend or use your gear on anyone elses vehicle unless they are known to you and are honest.

Rules number two..... carry your own gear and be self sufficient.

$x4ers are some time to eager to help and use their own gear....... don't worry about using your snatch strap as I have this brand new ARB one you're welcome to use.....
AnswerID: 509012

Reply By: Bazooka - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 20:10

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 20:10
Was the stanger instructed how to use them?

The alternate brand has a lifetime warranty, Maxtrax would possibly replace them. It's not the first time the knobs have been melted off.
AnswerID: 509029

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 21:10

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 21:10
The Maxtrax warranty mentions spinning wheels and they offer to replace them at your cost.... Whats the alternate Bazooka of which you speak?

If the damage to the Product/s is found, upon inspection by us, to be caused by wear and tear; abuse; misuse; accidental impact/s with a harder object (such as a metal
automotive component); failure to follow the 'Instructions for use' (such as burning or melting of the Product/s caused by spinning tyre/s; or damage caused by using the Product/s on hard or rocky surfaces); or the Product/s has/have been modified or
altered in any way; or the Product/s, though damaged, is/are still intact, serviceable and capable of performing its/their intended function, and is/are not faulty, we will offer to replace the Product/s at your cost.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 786659

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 21:42

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 21:42
Treds. They also mention spinning wheels so I would guess the success in getting them replaced would depend on goodwill and the way you approach the company.
FollowupID: 786663

Reply By: mike g2 - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 22:03

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 22:03
Sounds very un- aussie mate! May seem like a silly Qn, did son-in law ask for a contribution towards ruined maxies based on the good will of the loan ? would have to be a pretty poor world if the user said tough tits when asked. Also not everyone knows how to properly use them or associated recovery methods ( EG: dont use towball), so lending could have its risks-this often applies to other tools+eqpt as well etc...but i would say we have to take the chance,too late for your brother now, but I suggest best method is to try and stay 'in charge' of the whole process if possible and give instruction on use/procedures.
MG.
AnswerID: 509042

Sponsored Links